• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abolish the monarchy?

• Keep the Royals

Votes: 117 17.8%
  • Bye

Votes: 541 82.2%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
let me get my one sided view of what just happened off my chest

I got blocked by someone for defending the Royals a bit on Discord. We went back and forth about opposing views on their benefit to the U.K. Then it turned into nobody should be born into that wealth and privilege they said. I asked how do you stop people from being rich at birth and they said taxation and closed loopholes. I said I don't see how you stop people from getting rich and passing their money on. Like idk how plastic surgeons and the next Microsoft creator aren't gonna be rich. They said if I want closed borders and monarchies to vote Trump. I said I thought all countries had closed borders tbh but someone else in the chat said the EU doesn't which I replied with my surprise at this info and then it was clarified it's between EU citizenships. And then I was blocked.

A bit tragic since I didn't think it was that big of an argument and we've been in that Discord for like 2 years. I'm American btw but I have gone to England to see the monarchy stuff.

Do you like the UK Royals?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Fuck em. You can still keep the palace for tourism but they have no place in a democracy even just as figureheads.

Hwntw

Oct 27, 2017
The money is a red herring. It's not the money I object to, it's the *privilege*. The UK's head of state got that job by accident of birth, and because her ancestors were better mediaeval psychopaths than all the other mediaeval psychopaths. That does not earn respect any more.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are a useless relic from a bygone age. If the royal family was disbanded nobody would care, save for the crazies.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an Aussie I really don't give a shit what their kids wore today or what one of the royals twice-removed cousin's in-law's friends did, but the news/radio seems to want to tell me every fucking day.

I don't like them.

Oct 27, 2017
I get so damn sick of our media in the US covering the UK's royal family all the time. I do not give one single fuck about them and can't see why anyone in the US would.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I said I don't have an opinion on them would that be of interest to this inquiry? Not trying to thread crap, just not sure if that's within the purview of the question.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Their existence is pretty weird, since they don't actually hold any political power, right? But they seem pretty inoffensive and not much different than other rich celebrities.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm English and I have no opinion on them either way, they're irrelevant to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you need some education on the pros and cons about the royal family in UK, and you would slowly discover that those are the parasites living on the medieval laws, draining the budget and producing the government funded UK version of keeping up with Kardashians. Spineless people, cannot even voice their opinion on Brexit. The country is splitting in half, yet nobody wants to rock the boat in case they accidentally support the losing side.

Oh, and they also harbor a pedophile rapist.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Their existence is pretty weird, since they don't actually hold any political power, right? But they seem pretty inoffensive and not much different than other rich celebrities.
From what I remember my English friend telling me, they actually do hold a little political power but basically if they tried to utilize it against parliament's wishes there would be a giant shitshow.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't exist in this day and age. While some of the expenses are definitely paid back by the extra tourism their presence generates, it feels so futile and outdated. It doesn't help they contribute fuckall to the actual issues the country has.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the poll. I say fuck the royals but don't lump Megan in as the no option. People have done nothing but dog whistle at her being in the family.
"Bye, Andy" would be more apt

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
The Queen's a pretty cool individual, but no monarchy should exist.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that France makes way more from tourism related to palaces, etc. than England does despite long ago ridding itself of its monarchy, so it can't even be argued that they're a net economic benefit.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're an anachronism that is kept around for tourism reasons and tradition. They're otherwise useless aside from campaigning for some good causes and seem to be tied up in some rather unseemly types such as Epstein.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the poll. I say fuck the royals but don't lump Megan in as the no option. People have done nothing but dog whistle at her being in the family.
"Bye, Andy" would be more apt
Yeah. Meghan is probably one of the better ones tbh, and singling her out has an unfortunate echo of the racism that she's had to face. Not suggesting that this is the OP's intention in any way, but it's an unfortunate and unintended consequence of using her name in the poll.

And Andrew is a grade-A cunt, so he would have been a much better choice to be named in the poll.

As for the royal family as a whole:
Get them tae absolute fuck.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
As much as I appreciate Netflix's The Crown, I dont particularly care about the Monarchy in 2019.

I do like the Queen though. It'll be weird when she's gone. Philip brought the bants.

The rest? Meh.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I like William and Harry though, as it seems like they do a lot of charity work, and are using their positions for good.

But I really don't know enough about the politics of the royal family and their impact on the UK to have much of an opinion beyond that.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not really. The only time I even think about them is when there's a shot of the Queen on telly looking like she's just waiting to die, and I think of the shit that's gone on in her family and I'm like "yeah, I don't blame you" lol.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Are we talking about as people? Or the concept of maintaining a monarchy?

As people, never met them. A couple of them seem pretty neat, and you hear good stories about them. But then you also have the likes of Prince Andrew, so there's good eggs and bad eggs, like you find in any family.

The concept of a monarchy? It can get fucked. I get yelled at by people for being a scrounger for receiving disability benefits, yet the Royals receive more money than the entirety of the disability benefit budget. All because of an outdated concept of hereditary superiority.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waste of money. The buildings and history are what bring in the tourists not the senile racists and child molesting inbreds.

every other European country with a lot of tourism and no royal family manages just fine without a clan of embarrassing parasites waving at stuff four times a year.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the options 'keep' and 'bye Meghan'...?

'Bye Liz', more like.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
I'm conflicted. I think having a notionally apolitical head of state is of value? Keeps things like the psychotic American flag-worship away.

And, when it's finally time for the guillotines, they'll make a great finale.