• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MGS:

• Good how it is

Votes: 313 63.0%
  • Better without supernatural stuff

Votes: 130 26.2%
  • Needs more supernatural

Votes: 54 10.9%

• Total voters

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Hated the supernatural stuff and actually part of the reason I never got into this series. The cloning stuff I could live with (even though I didn't like that either), but the rest of the crazy stuff...no thanks.

You can have a compelling plot without sticking in random unexplainable sci fi bullshit. Like would The Rock be better if they gave Sean Connery magical powers?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
mgs2.5_145_20b.jpg

Except it was actually nanomachines.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, supernatural is way better than drawnout explanations that make less sense than no explanation at all.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still dont get why Kojima set up that Ocelots dad was a medium who could channel the dead which explains the whole Liquid Ocelot thing (he has his dads power) and decided nanites and drugs etc was the better explanation.

I mean I get it, he's a shit writer that needs more people to tell him "No", but still.....

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's what makes Metal Gear Metal Gear. There's enough grounded military action games out there as it is, no need to put Tom Clancy's name on the box of another one.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I enjoy it when it is given as little focus as possible and is simply treated as incredibly odd phenomena that some individuals are capable of. As soon as the explanations start pouring in and when characters stop reacting to these things as if they are normal everyday occurrences is when I kinda lose interest.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty neat. The original MGS did it best, but I love the way the games mix together the serious military espionage action stuff with mystical elements. If it was just military dudes it wouldn't be half as fun as, say, a character like The End just doing photosynthesis on the battlefield.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like it when its a clever twist, or even when its ambiguous. MGS1 did a great job at this

Not a huge fan when, for a long time, the thought was that OCELOT IS BEING POSSESSED BY LIQUID BECAUSE OF THE ARM. That goes into the wrong side of campy and the "reveal" that explained it was even worse

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Something about wanting hard scifi from Metal Gear reminds me of the people who thought Rising was too exaggerated and over the top to fit into the universe about cloned super soldiers who are fighting over giant robots that shoot nukes

If anything, Metal Gear got worse the less comic book-y it was. MGS4 and 5 go in harder on the (relatively) more serious, all-scifi, cinematic tip than all the other titles and they suffer (from a narrative and presentation standpoint anyway) for it.

Basically, I have an easier time believing that Ocelot was possessed by Liquid's arm than buying the fact that Ocelot hypnotized himself into adopting Liquid's personality with nanomachines for... reasons?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I still dont get why Kojima set up that Ocelots dad was a medium who could channel the dead which explains the whole Liquid Ocelot thing (he has his dads power) and decided nanites and drugs etc was the better explanation.

I mean I get it, he's a shit writer that needs more people to tell him "No", but still.....
This is more an over correction on behalf of the fanbase's desires than his actual intent. Kojima famously didn't want to make 4, was basically forced to and was depressed during it's entire development (which is probably why MGS4's tone is as suicidally bleak as it is when it's not having Johnny Sazaki diarrhea blasting or a monkey puffin on cigs) but people demanded "answers" to the MGS2 mysteries he intended to remain mysterious forever, all of the decisions in MGS4 are mostly reactions to fan feedback Thus a much derided character from MGS2 (Raiden) becomes a cliche "cool badass" character, a "That's really...weird" plot point (the arm) becomes stupider in an attempt to make it plausible (same for Vamp) MG Rex and Shadow Moses comes back for some long desired fanservice. The whole game feels like an misguided attempt to address and rectify the mixed reaction to MGS2, which the majority of the fanbase simply did not understand.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It is what sets it a part from all those military action games.

The ridiculousness of MGS is what makes it so fun.

Also are people still confusing MGS4's Ocelot/Liquid thing as a retcon? Granted it is dumb, but it was clearly explained in the game that in MGS2 it was actually Liquid taking over and MGS4 was the self hypnosis.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have only actually played mgsv, but from that and what I have seen of other games in the series I would say I dislike it. Supernatural and fantasy elements could be fine in a game, but the way the metal gear series presents them can be pretty damn ridiculous. Maybe that is the point and it is supposed to be schlocky, but sometimes I think the metal gear series explores some pretty interesting themes that just get ruined by the hokiness of the supernatural stuff. Again, the supernatural stuff per se isn't a problem to me, but more so what I assume is Kojima's style/humor.

That said, I totally understand why people would like it and I can certainly play any games like it if the gameplay is good, but I will always be wishing that they were just a bit more in line with my tastes story wise.

MGS is absolutely supposed to be shlocky. Kojima is an insane person, the games are not grounded at all by design.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes in concept, but some stuff is more thought out/more ass-pull than others.

Some things that form the cornerstone of several games fall into the more extreme end of the spectrum (Liquid's arm).

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't like supernatural stuff shoehorned in games and movies that are grounded or have serious undertones(Looper is another example), so I would prefer less or no supernatural stuff.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Didn't enjoy that possessed arm story from MGS2 very much, but otherwise I'm okay with supernatural stuff.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
It's a literally a fundamental of the series and it wouldn't be Metal Gear without it. Actually the dumbest things in the series came about when they tried to explain the most ridiculous stuff with "grounded" explainations rather than just letting weird shit be weird shit *cough* Ocelot possession *cough*

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The supernatural entities in the MGS games are usually just there to deliver a metaphor or allusion that ties in with whatever that specific game's thematic elements are. MGS is one of those narratives that has implications bigger than the sum of its parts. Sometimes they can be a little contrived, but rarely do that not execute.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I think its quite grounded, several countries around the world have done experiments about Telekinesis, supernatural powers, etc. To gain a advantage in the wars. Heck Hitler was looking for religious artifacts.

MGS just take that idea of the supernatural to create a more powerful military and makes it a real thing. Of course, later they used Nanomachines, but even if MGS4, they made you believe that some stuff can't be done with nanomachines. So I'm ok with all the supernatural stuff in a game that is about war and military, because that stuff has been taken seriously by militaries in the past.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i haven't played that much of the series but being slightly weird is part of the appeal. MGS with a strong grasp on reality isn't really MGS. If I wanted a grounded depiction of military stuff I don't think it's where I'd look.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I think it's a good balance. (Ignoring Metal Gear Survive). Just enough for it to be believable.

Like MGS3 was my first real metal gear and I thought it was just a spy game, then the supernatural stuff came up and I didn't even think it was weird or anything for this game to have it. Still felt like a spy game to me back then.

Last edited:

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
slighty off topic but i was super bummed nothing supernatural happens in uncharted 4. it was a series staple and it bieng missing left a sour taste in my mouth

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. I'm cool with it for the most part, but sometimes it gets so profoundly stupid that it's just too much for me. For example, the instance in MGS2 when it was revealed that Fortune really is Lady Luck right after it had been demonstrated that she had relied on technology the whole game, albeit unknowingly.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Volgin wasn't even superpowered. He just shuffles his feet too much on the same carpet I have. My hands could recharge a battery.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
slighty off topic but i was super bummed nothing supernatural happens in uncharted 4. it was a series staple and it bieng missing left a sour taste in my mouth

I didn't mind it as a "twist" for one game, but Lost Legacy doing it too definitely makes me worried that for potential future games they might have fully bowed to the people complaining about that aspect instead of improving it

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The supernatural stuff is great. It's disappointing that MGS4 explained away so much as "nanomachines," the earlier games never tried to justify it and they didn't need to.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
It is what sets it a part from all those military action games.

The ridiculousness of MGS is what makes it so fun.

Also are people still confusing MGS4's Ocelot/Liquid thing as a retcon? Granted it is dumb, but it was clearly explained in the game that in MGS2 it was actually Liquid taking over and MGS4 was the self hypnosis.
No, he was faking it the whole time, then he removed the arm to "balance his psyche" even though he was faking it the whole time, only to then hypnotize himself into believing it was true because reasons. It's dumb as fuck, I love it.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Metal Gear Solid IS the supernatural; without all that, it's not the same at all, and that's part of why I love it. Once you "try" to take it too seriously, they throw something in to remind you it's a psycho anime and you smile again. Usually.