• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What type of dpad and buttons do you like?

• Soft

Votes: 96 25.8%
  • Mushy

Votes: 19 5.1%
  • Firm

Votes: 66 17.7%
  • Clicky

Votes: 191 51.3%

• Total voters

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about it? I personally like it a lot. I don't like mushy dpads and buttons but I don't feel like the dualsense ones are mushy, just soft. Some people like firm ones or clicky. I think the ones on the dualsense are close to perfect.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I feel neutral. I wasn't expecting them but I think they'll hold up better over time so that's a plus.

IMO the absolute best face buttons are on the Switch Pro Controller. Huge, satisfying sound, but still only need a small amount of force to press.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Got both PS5 and XSX and I've got to say I prefer the buttons on the Dual Sense for sure. The XSX buttons sometimes don't register unless you press firmly.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I like click-y like Vita click-y, not Xbox click-y.

The DualSense is probably my runner up though. They feel nice.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
D-pad

No, the D-Pad on the DualSense is awful for 2D gaming, even if nice for navigating menus. it's so spongey, it's really not ideal for platformers. My one and only negative about the DS.

Yes, the XSX D-pad is fucking *LOUD*. But my word, it's so damn responsive and feels so great from a control and gameplay point of view, and it made Katana Zero way easier to play as a result. It's actually my favourite D-pad of all time, and so good that I've been going back and re-playing games like Celeste and Super Meat Boy.

Buttons

And this is where the DualSense wins. The XSX buttons just feel a little 'loose', and I prefer the more solid feeling buttons of the DS. That said, two of the buttons on my DS are a little 'squeaky' when I press them, feel like they're catching slightly on the plastic housing, which isn't ideal either. I prefer the face buttons of the DualShock4 to either of the new controllers.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I like the buttons now but I'm a bit worried they're gonna be way too squishy in the next few months.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
D-pad

No, the D-Pad on the DualSense is awful for 2D gaming, even if nice for navigating menus. it's so spongey, it's really not ideal for platformers. My one and only negative about the DS.

Yes, the XSX D-pad is fucking *LOUD*. But my word, it's so damn responsive and feels so great from a control and gameplay point of view, and it made Katana Zero way easier to play as a result. It's actually my favourite D-pad of all time, and so good that I've been going back and re-playing games like Celeste and Super Meat Boy.

Buttons

And this is where the DualSense wins. The XSX buttons just feel a little 'loose', and I prefer the more solid feeling buttons of the DS. That said, two of the buttons on my DS are a little 'squeaky' when I press them, feel like they're catching slightly on the plastic housing, which isn't ideal either. I prefer the face buttons of the DualShock4 to either of the new controllers.

Exactly my experience as well with both new controllers. And I usually play with headphones or have the audio loud enough that I'm not too bothered that the XSX D-Pad is so loud. I like the D-Pad better than the Elite V2 options, and they have quite a few! I also enjoy the reduced latency alongside the crisp feel of the XSX controller. But the DualSense is still a great controller with unique strengths.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Xbox Series D-pad is absurdly great, it's like a combination of the OG DS and a Sega Saturn. Microsoft has come a long way from the 360 in that regard.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's my peeve with the Xbox controllers, the buttons are too damn loud. Irritating as hell.
The strange thing is, my Xbox Design Lab XBO controller is the best of both worlds: the buttons and bumpers seem to be dampened and the D-pad is responsive but quiet. I don't know why - a normal XBO controller (both my standard V2s) has clicky bumpers and looser buttons but my Design Lab controller doesn't. Don't know if all Design Lab controllers are built to a better standard or I just got lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
Now I want to try the Xbox d-pad because it looked like a regression from pictures but apparently it's actually good?

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Short throw distance and more clicky is my favorite but that combination rarely happens. Also short sticks with high resistance, which never happens.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Now I want to try the Xbox d-pad because it looked like a regression from pictures but apparently it's actually good?
Honestly from a control point of view it's literally perfect. It's so tactile, you know exactly which direction you're pressing and when, like it's wired to your brain with the clicky-ness. But yes, that comes at a price as you can hear that clicking. It doesn't really bother me as I wear headphones when gaming - not sure if I'm keeping my wife up at night though re-playing all these 2D platformers :)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Face buttons are fine, I hated them at first but playing a game with them feels much better.

Series X D-pad is the new king though imo

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
They're just fine! Didn't really feel much difference between them and the DualShock 4.

As long as I push a button and things happen, I'm happy. Suppose I don't really like outright clicky buttons.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a slight downgrade from the DS4 but it's still decent. I actually think the XSX d-pad is great.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I have to use it a bit more to form an opinion. My main problem with the face buttons is that I think they are too easy to press by mistake, they should be slightly more raised. I have not played any 2D game yet, so I have not really real-world tested the D-pad, but it is easy to see it would be garbage for circular motions in fighting games moves (I don't think the XSX/XSS controller would be much better even if they have improved diagonal input with the tray-like shape, too clicky)

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I had the controller before the console I was worried and thought they felt bad.
I forgot all about that within about 10 seconds of actually playing so I guess I like them well enough.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't mind it though it's not my preference

My brother hates it and thought his controller was going bad. He literally asked me for a new one for Christmas.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Damn I didn't know about that! I'm kinda concerned about 2D fighting game now. I need a super responsive dpad die GG Strive and Tekken 7, hope it will feel good !

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly haven't noticed any difference in responsiveness, which is what matters most to me.

To a lesser degree, I definitely prefer not having a controller where the dpad is highly audible (Vita and Xbox Pro controller), but ultimately, that's still secondary.

Much like stick placement, the button feel is nigh irrelevant compared to other aspects of the controller.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not something I even gave any thought to until seeing this thread, so that's a good thing I guess? I have no strong opinion for or against.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
My d-pad isn't mushy. It's still clicky. Idk why there's such a variance for people. Must be launch QC issue.

The face buttons aren't mushy either, just quieter on release.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. The thing I dislike about the Xbox controller is the kind of insane clickiness of the face buttons and D-pad.

The softer feel of the buttons on the DualSense along with the "flatter" face buttons is a much better experience.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't feel soft to me at all. They aren't clicky, but they definitely aren't mushy either. I like the dpad and buttons on the DualSense quite a bit.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The buttons feel better after using for awhile. I prefer it over the Xbox controllers, particularly the Elite Series 2, if you can believe it. This is going back and forth on the DS4 and other more 2D-centric controllers.

The D-Pad is still disappointingly soft, but again, feels better now than when I first played with it.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I like how it is right now, maybe I'm just used to it. Soft, very little force required, still feel a positive release when it contacts.

Mushy makes it difficult to feel where the contact is.

Hard or Clicky requires a bit more force, adds latency, causes strain in long gaming sessions, I don't like those. Even on the Vita that doesn't require much force.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm not sure. I just want whatever is most conducive to playing 2D games.
Is the SNES mushy? And the Genesis soft?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I prefer clicky buttons like the DSi had, but the Dualsense has to be my new favorite controller, feels amazing when playing

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I like soft edged buttons that click when pressed.

I want the tactile feedback from my inputs and precision to not get accidental inputs. However if the edges are sharp and the plastic hard it ends up hurting my thumb long term with some kind of games, namely fighting games with a lot of corner motions.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I detest their choice of dpad and face buttons. So much so that XSX is my new main for multiplats. Its the complete opposite of last gen where I hated the XB1 controller and loved the Dualshock.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I had minor concerns about it when I first held the controller but after spending a lot of time actually playing games with it I have zero complaints.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really used the dpad yet but the buttons seem fine to me, didn't really notice a difference in the feel. They seem more quiet though.