• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miyamoto, Lee or Disney?

• Shigeru Miyamoto

Votes: 747 58.9%
  • Stan Lee

Votes: 326 25.7%
  • Walt Disney

Votes: 196 15.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The question is literally a question of personal taste and of course people are turning it into a competition.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Stan Lee easily and it ain't even a competition.

What are Mario and Mickey Mouse's insecurities? Does Link have trouble paying his bills? Stan wanted his creations to be relatable to his readers by giving them real world complexities. Superman and Batman were "perfect" heroes. Stan wanted Peter Parker to go through the same issues that all of us do. He can climb walls and has Spider-Sense-but he can't help his aunt pay her rent.

Nintendo almost single-handily saved the gaming business as we know it.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
While taste wise I'd pick Miyamoto's designs and creations, I find myself rooting for that choice anyways because where you find those products, Nintendo is probably the least "corporate overlordy" of the 3 choices (and I don't even like Nintendo stuff).

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Miyamoto for me. Born and raised on Nintendo. I actually didn't grow up with much Disney. Apart from a few Pixar movies and their late 90s/early 2000s movies. Didn't have access or watched their TV channels either. Had lots more Warner Bros. and Don Blush exposure though. Not much into comics, but I did grow up with more DC than Marvel.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Who cares? What does that have to do with what I said? In terms of liking the characters and relating to them-I only see Stan Lee on this list.

I wasn't saying you can't resonate with any of Lee's creations. Spider-Man is probably my favorite fictional character.

But you basically minimized Miyamoto's creations... You ask who cares but you're on a gaming forum lol.

He contributed to keeping the industry responsible for the birth of this forum afloat.

Anyway, didn't mean to bother you. Cheers.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
As far as creations that I enjoy the most, then yeah, I have to give it to Lee. While he did have co-creators on plenty of those characters, it's not like he wasn't putting the work in himself as well. The amount of enjoyment I've gotten from his creations is unmatched. Miyamoto is good as well, but he's brilliance is more in game design than story telling.

Disney didn't really do enough creatively. Obviously a great businessman

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Tell me a character Walt created all by himself.
Like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby it could be argued that Ub Iwerks was more responsible for Mickey Mouse than. He wasn't the animator. He was more of an overseer that approved and made suggestions. I guess you're right in your post in that business sense. I was thinking of finances when you mentioned business originally, which is what Roy handled.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't saying you can't resonate with any of Lee's creations. Spider-Man is probably my favorite fictional character.

But you basically minimized Miyamoto's creations... You ask who cares but you're on a gaming forum lol.

He contributed to keeping the industry responsible for the birth of this forum afloat.

Anyway, didn't mean to bother you. Cheers.

But the OP is asking each of us for a personal preference.
Whose career are you into the most?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby it could be argued that Ub Iwerks was more responsible for Mickey Mouse than. He wasn't the animator. He was more of an overseer that approved and made suggestions. I guess you're right in your post in that business sense. I was thinking of finances when you mentioned business originally, which is what Roy handled.
Np, we agree on that.

As I was saying, Donald Duck wasn't made by Walt, nor Goofy, Scrooge, Pluto, Snow White, the Three little Pigs, Dumbo or Pinocchio.

Even Mickey Mouse might have more personality injected by Gottfredson in his comics than by Walt.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Miyamoto for sure. Zelda alone has been a constant presence in my life since I was a kid and has continued with me over the years into adulthood. It's easily one of my most cherished franchises around. Plus it's hard to compare actually getting to playout and be in control of a fantastical adventure than just watch one.

Disney films have been a part of my life and childhood even longer, but haven't had the same impact or relevancy as I've grown up. I still greatly enjoy Walt's work, but it's something from the distant past at this point. The variety of films I think is also both a strength and weakness. I connect to and remember some films greatly and others less so.

I was just never into Marvel stuff growing up. Not the comics, not the cartoons or anything. It just wasn't ever part of my life really until much much later with the Hollywood films and particularly the MCU. I enjoy them tremendously but they don't really hold any significance to me.

I'll add in that Miyazaki is amazing. I only was introduced to his work in my mid to late teens, but he and Ghibli have remained and continued to be hugely impactful on me even as I've matured and grown due to how nuanced and complex their works are.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto has the most reach because he developed and influenced games in several genres. Adventure, racing, strategy, RPG, shooters, sports, etc. Grand Theft Auto, the world's most popular videogame, is built for adults but stinks of Nintendo/Miyamoto influence.

Disney had fairy tales and Lee had superheroes and that's it.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Disney also spearheaded Disneyland so that edges him over Lee for me. Miyamoto is 3rd although I do love Nintendo.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Disney basically developed and solidified the principles with which an entire artistic medium continues to use, and was the undisputed king of it back when he was alive. I don't think the other two have as much clout.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care much about superhero comic books.
Don't really care that much about Walt's own creations such as Mickey Mouse and friends.

So it's gonna be the Shigster

Disney basically developed and solidified the principles with which an entire artistic medium continues to use, and was the undisputed king of it back when he was alive. I don't think the other two have as much clout.

This thread is about whose stuff people like best. Not who had the most influence.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I like video games and big N nerd so Miyamoto. I think Koizumi, Aonuma, and Fujibayashi are great successors though. I guess Disney is next since I like their old cartoons and other stuff from the company.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Jim Henson.

But of the above, Shigeru Miyamoto by far. Disney's own creations are all old and meh to me, and I never had any interest in comic book stuff growing up so Lee is out too. Miyamoto's games were an incredible influence on me so he's an easy win.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't see Miyazaki as a choice. I thought I was reading the OP wrong. Are people mistaking Miyamoto for Miyazaki again? Lol.

This is a tough ass choice for me, growing up 90s had me being touched by all 3 of these guys creations at different points in life...

Miyamoto would be my top pick one because his creations are still consistently good.

Walt Disney because a lot of the work stemmed from his creations have touched me.

Stan Lee because Spider-Man is my GOAT, although, Kirby deserves just as much credit which is why he is last.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is about whose stuff people like best. Not who had the most influence.
I would still say Disney then. Goofy alone is such a treasure to me, and many of his directorial works have had a direct influence on my artwork and life. Miyamoto has a nostalgia factor too because I also play games, but I've never wanted to work in gaming. Lee is whatever.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
in order:
Jim Henson
Miyamoto
Kirby
Miyazaki
Lee
Disney

Stan lee and Walt Disney loose a lot of points for being famously not very nice people (and i am not putting stan lee on the same level of assholeish as walt disney, dude was a whole other level of asshole =P)

Last edited:

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
People really need to learn more about Stan Lee and put the name Jack Kirby up in his place, despite Steve Ditko being the actual answer to their "he made the spider-man!" beliefs. Kirby created Captain America, Thor, Hulk, The Avengers, The X-Men, The Fantastic Four, and Black Panther just for Marvel, before going on to create excellence like The New Gods for DC. Stan Lee, divorced from the actual talent he rode on, made shit like 'Stripperella' and 'Heroman'.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Walt Disney didn't create shit.
He was an amazing businessman. But his animators created the characters.
Extremely not accurate. But even if you want to take that type of argument, his vision and ambition is what allowed those other animators under him to see their work realized.

But seriously, it is not accurate to say that he was simply an "Amazing businessman". He DID create shit. He started as an animator and constantly was pushing the boundary of what was possible -- in film as a whole, in animation, in the theme park industry, in transportation, and entertainment in general. He nearly went bankrupt several times, but it never deterred him. Without Disney maybe someone else would have made a Steamboat Willie, or a Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, or It's a Small World, or Disneyland. But in our timeline, it was Walt Disney.
If you go down that route you gotta name Segar whos Popeye further popularized comic strips and was obviously the biggest influence on Super Mario.
Sure, but the topic presented was only talking about these 3 specific individuals and their work. There's plenty of other influential "creators"/artists that could be in the conversation if it was opened up.

I think the only way this topic is an interesting conversation is if it is about the latter. If it's the former this is just a list topic/a place for people to come in and say "I like X" without any further discussion, because there is no point in discussing personal preference.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only way this topic is an interesting conversation is if it is about the latter. If it's the former this is just a list topic/a place for people to come in and say "I like X" without any further discussion, because there is no point in discussing personal preference.

If it was about the latter then this discussion would be pointless because it's Disney and there's no point in arguing it.

I would still say Disney then. Goofy alone is such a treasure to me, and many of his directorial works have had a direct influence on my artwork and life. Miyamoto has a nostalgia factor too because I also play games, but I've never wanted to work in gaming. Lee is whatever.
Personally I was a Looney Tunes guy back in the day. ;)

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Disney is my least favorite, I haven't really been into the really old Disney stuff. My favorite movies from Disney are from the 90's and 2010s.

Miyamoto and Lee are about equal for me. I love Mario, Zelda, Pikmin and old Marvel comics.

Also, it's important to remember that NONE of these people created what they are known for all on their own. It's a moot point to say "well Disney/Miyamoto/Lee had help from someone else, so they don't deserve all the credit!" Yes, that applies to ALL of them.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was about the latter then this discussion would be pointless because it's Disney and there's no point in arguing it.
I agree with that too... though people in this topic are clearly already arguing it haha. But that still provokes more discussion at least than simply saying "I like X".

Also, it's important to remember that NONE of these people created what they are known for all on their own. It's a moot point to say "well Disney/Miyamoto/Lee had help from someone else, so they don't deserve all the credit!" Yes, that applies to ALL of them.
Absolutely. Every entertainment industry from film to television to video games to live theatre are all collaborative art forms. That is what makes them so cool, and interesting.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Disney is the biggest vision to execution story. Like got results. Dude made a whole place just named after himself and we all act like it's normal.

I still voted for Miyamoto because he's probably the best person out of the three.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we're talking purely the influence they had within their own industry I think you're massively underestimating Miyamoto's contributions to gaming.

On a personal level I don't feel like I have almost any personal attachment to Walt Disney's characters. I grew up on Disney stuff, but the stuff that sticks out to me were made long after he was dead. So for me it's Miyamoto>>Stan Lee>> Walt Disney

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say my favorite creations are credited to Stan Lee. Spider-Man is like my favorite fictional character, and I have a big soft spot for other characters he worked on. They were an absolutely massive influence on my life.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
c3e.jpg

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Miyamoto easily.

I like a few of the 90s Disney films and have absolutely zero interest in comics or superhero related things.

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto, no question. Most of the things I love from Disney like Pixar obviously have nothing to do with Walt. And no disrespect to Stan Lee, but I really don't care about Marvel.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's arguable that Walt Disney really belongs here as he himself wasn't creating the things his studio put out. He was more like a producer. He guided the creation, brought talented people together to make the shit he wanted to see, but he wasn't really writing/designing the stuff like Lee and Miyamoto were. For that matter, a lot of the stuff Disney made was just reinterpretations of other authors' works. Lee and Miyamoto were inventing new things whole cloth.

Walt was an entrepreneur, a visionary, a futurist, but he wasn't really a creative. For as much as he advanced the medium of animation he also allowed it to stagnate when he got more interested in the parks. And the Disney "cartoons are for kids and their moms" stigma lorded over all Western animation for almost a century.

i will say that Fantasia is the greatest piece of animation ever put to film and it only exists because Walt was a lunatic and insisted on it

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Stan Lee definitely, been a crazy Marvel fan since I was a kid.
Disney do come close but Nintendo I couldn't care less about.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Edit: fuck me misread myamoto as miyazaki lol.

Answers Stan Lee, the best Disney stuff isn't even from Walt himself.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel then Nintendo for me.
I have no affection for Disney as a brand. I only just subbed to D+ for Mandalorian and Wandavision in the next few weeks.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Lee and Miyamoto did great work in the tight budgets and deadlines they worked in, but outside of the polish of their product they didn't particularly seem like they had a particularly grand ambition to re-envision their mediums. Disney's actual output is probably my least favorite of the three, but it's hard not to admire how he constantly looked at the status quo and said "No, we can go way bigger than that," and actually executed it.

But character-wise, I'll give it to Lee. Iconic though they may be, Disney's characters tended to be bland and Miyamoto's characters are largely blank slates. For all the hullaballoo about Stan not really creating characters, Lee's dialogue and narration is distictly his and was essential in defining the actual characterization that set them apart from the cardboard cutout superheroes they debuted against.

Last edited: