• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about Shadow?

• I like him as a foil to Sonic.

Votes: 47 8.1%
  • I like him because I genuinely think he is a cool character.

Votes: 127 21.9%
  • I like him because he has jet thruster roller skate shoes

Votes: 106 18.3%
  • I like him because his music is good.

Votes: 18 3.1%
  • I don't like him, because I find his character to be lame.

Votes: 59 10.2%
  • I don't like him, because Knuckles was already Sonic's rival.

Votes: 40 6.9%
  • I don't like anything about him.

Votes: 183 31.6%

• Total voters

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Looks at your avatar

I don't believe you dogman

He should have been a one-and-done, and would have been great as a result.

As it stands, he's emblematic of Sonic Team as a whole: complete lack of restraint in bringing back him and others who long served their purpose, and a general sense of popularity with zero idea of what to do with it.
I gotta issue with this mindset

cartoon characters come back all the time its whatever man. Like I as much as every sonic nerd during that period like some of the more serious stories of that time. But at the end of the day its a franchise primarily aimed at children and characters come back. Its not emblematic of anything except folks like you taking the lore of a goddamn funny hedgehog serious way to seriously, and this is coming from a guy who has an entire write up of how to unfuck sonic 06's story. He came back, who cares. People enjoy it, that's fine man.

That isn't to say you can't make character critcisms, I personally don't like the current direction for shadow ( and apperently a lot of the people working for sega in a sonic capacity don't either ). But at the end of the day its a forever franchise for kids and shits gonna come back and change. The concept of a character should be done in shit like this, or TMNT or whatever is stupid. They gonna be back when folks want them back, it is what it is

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta issue with this mindset

cartoon characters come back all the time its whatever man. Like I as much as every sonic nerd during that period like some of the more serious stories of that time. But at the end of the day its a franchise primarily aimed at children and characters come back. Its not emblamatic of anything except folks like you taking the lore of a goddamn funny hedgehog serious way to seriously. and this is coming from a guy who has an entire write up of how to unfuck sonic 06's story. He came back, who cares. People enjoy it, that's fine man.
I don't mind bringing something back. I mind when they do it without any kind of purpose. Shadow had something to add to Sonic's story in Sonic Adventure 2. But what has he added since then? It's the same gameplay (outside of Sonic 06, incidentally), so it's got to be something with themes or story. But he hasn't done anything. He's just there. Existing because he's popular without being creative or interesting. Just like the whole franchise. It is emblematic.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
I played through the shadow game on GameCube long enough to do each stage with the good and evil objectives. Half the levels were kind of crap, especially the final good/evil route levels.

As for the character itself, eh he's alright. Counters Sonic's incessant cheerfulness and has rocket shoes. :P

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind bringing something back. I mind when they do it without any kind of purpose. Shadow had something to add to Sonic's story in Sonic Adventure 2. But what has he added since then? It's the same gameplay (outside of Sonic 06, incidentally), so it's got to be something with themes or story. But he hasn't done anything. He's just there. Existing because he's popular without being creative or interesting. Just like the whole franchise. It is emblematic.
Nothing in sonic is brought back with purpose.

Every character in sonic that's about continues to exist because people like them. All of them, if they didn't sega has no issue throwing shit in the trash. And he did done something, I kinda think his entire arc from that point is genuinely interesting kinda speaks to me. Now recently he hasn't done much, but...everyone including sonic TBH hasn't done much. The adventures amount to very little in the recent games and characters just started being included again.

If people wanna play as shadow and like the character, he should be around. Its why tails and knuckles are around. Its disengenious to pretend like everyone has some grand purpose. They don't. Kids wanna play as the toy they like. Is what it is. I don't like silver but I get why he's around. That goddamn dork

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in sonic is brought back with purpose.

Every character in sonic that's about continues to exist because people like them. All of them, if they didn't sega has no issue throwing shit in the trash. And he did done something, I kinda think his entire arc from that point is genuinely interesting kinda speaks to me. Now recently he hasn't done much, but...everyone including sonic TBH hasn't done much. The adventures amount to very little in the recent games and characters just started being included again.

If people wanna play as shadow and like the character, he should be around. Its why tails and knuckles are around. Its disengenious to pretend like everyone has some grand purpose. They don't. Kids wanna play as the toy they like. Is what it is. I don't like silver but I get why he's around. That goddamn dork
I feel like you're agreeing with me.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're agreeing with me.
Maybe?

What I'm saying is, if they brought tikal back right now. A character who's canonically been dead for hundreds of years, I wouldn't really care. If it makes people happy and something possibly neat comes out of it like it has with shadow. Fuck it sure, bring her and knuckles's entire family back. I don't care. Shadow's being around has allowed this weird self serious characters when he's used to contribute to stories in an interesting way. Even now, with his short stink in the dumpsterfire that is forces... his part of the game is the most interesting part. And kind of the most wasted potential. And no other character could really do that. This isn't to mention the comics when he's written well, he brings the best out of everyone around him.

I'm not looking for narrative integrity on that level in sonic. I'm just like " hey don't be offensive and keep the character consistent or at least remember why people like that character " but outside of that if you want to change wild stuff or bring em back to life, I don't really care. Sonic despite how much Iike it, is fun goof ball shit for kids and young teeens. And they shouldn't be robbed of characters they like because grown ass man on a forum really doesn't like it . Because they tried that, it didn't work out

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
He was my favourite character Sonic Adventure 2 where he was a good anti-hero with a fun slickness to him. Haven't kept up with the most of the latest Sonic titles, but he's lost a lot of his flair in Forces. Can't really put my finger on why he's lacking charisma, but perhaps the different voice actor has something to do with it.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
He was my favourite character Sonic Adventure 2 where he was a good anti-hero with a fun slickness to him. Haven't kept up with the most of the latest Sonic titles, but he's lost a lot of his flair in Forces. Can't really put my finger on why he's lacking charisma, but perhaps the different voice actor has something to do with it.
Wild because a lot of folks make the argument that forces shadow is actually weirdly close to sa2 shadow that shadow has been in quite some time. The new voice actor isn't great yeah. Kirk Thorton's shadow just kinda doesn't work, also he may be getting no or bad direction how to do it. But I dunno after TSR I think a lot of the cast are due for new voices. New knuckles is uh, bad

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Wild because a lot of folks make the argument that forces shadow is actually weirdly close to sa2 shadow that shadow has been in quite some time. The new voice actor isn't great yeah. Kirk Thorton's shadow just kinda doesn't work, also he may be getting no or bad direction how to do it. But I dunno after TSR I think a lot of the cast are due for new voices. New knuckles is uh, bad
wasn't TSR Knux cuz Willingham was on paternity leave?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
He's an inferior Metal Sonic, who is Sonic's actual rival.

Sonic already had Metal Sonic, you didn't need to create emo Sonic as well. Metal was fine.

That said, I liked the Shadow stages in SA2 a lot though, some more than the Sonic stages.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe?

What I'm saying is, if they brought tikal back right now. A character who's canonically been dead for hundreds of years, I wouldn't really care. If it makes people happy and something possibly neat comes out of it like it has with shadow. Fuck it sure, bring her and knuckles's entire family back. I don't care. Shadow's being around has allowed this weird self serious characters when he's used to contribute to stories in an interesting way. Even now, with his short stink in the dumpsterfire that is forces... his part of the game is the most interesting part. And kind of the most wasted potential. And no other character could really do that. This isn't to mention the comics when he's written well, he brings the best out of everyone around him.

I'm not looking for narrative integrity on that level in sonic. I'm just like " hey don't be offensive and keep the character consistent or at least remember why people like that character " but outside of that if you want to change wild stuff or bring em back to life, I don't really care. Sonic despite how much Iike it, is fun goof ball shit for kids and young teeens. And they shouldn't be robbed of characters they like because grown ass man on a forum really doesn't like it . Because they tried that, it didn't work out
Yeah I think we agree. It's just that I don't like it and you don't mind.

I'm not upset about it. I realized the Sonic franchise wasn't for me anymore a looooong time ago.

But in a topic about liking Shadow, I stand by my first post. He was fine in the first game, and just there afterwards like most of the series. But that's not good enough for me personally, like the rest of the franchise. Happy for those who enjoy it though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tumblr_pdhc7sGQOO1rn5mvzo5_r1_500.gif

Village

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't TSR Knux cuz Willingham was on paternity leave?
That's what I thought, but I think that's just knuckles now. I could be wrong though

Yeah I think we agree. It's just that I don't like it and you don't mind.

I'm not upset about it. I realized the Sonic franchise wasn't for me anymore a looooong time ago.

But in a topic about liking Shadow, I stand by my first post. He was fine in the first game, and just there afterwards like most of the series. But that's not good enough for me personally, like the rest of the franchise. Happy for those who enjoy it though.
That's fair

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I agree with everything you say here, but I also think this is a perfectly good reason to exclude Knuckles from most of Sonic's adventures.

Like it generally doesn't make much sense for Knuckles to be involved with anything unless Angel Island or the master emerald are also integral to the story.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
i think i didn't used to like shadow all that much, but the introduction of silver made him seem that much better in comparison

silver was a wholly unnecessary addition and it baffles me that he's one of the characters who gets to stick around as part of the core sonic "crew"

EDIT: god, and i even forgot about infinite! even worse! shadow's melodramatic space experiment backstory and robot clone arc is way more weird and b-movie fun in comparison.

i do think after sonic adventure 2 they probably should have retired him, at least for a while. shadow having this dramatic self-sacrifice death scene at the end of sa2 was totally undercut by him appearing again so quickly in heroes, even if they half-heartedly tried to build it as a "why is shadow back?" mystery in the team dark campaign.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything you say here, but I also think this is a perfectly good reason to exclude Knuckles from most of Sonic's adventures.

Like it generally doesn't make much sense for Knuckles to be involved with anything unless Angel Island or the master emerald are also integral to the story.
I've been saying this for years. Unless Knuckles realized he could just take the Master Emerald with him like Sonic Adventure 2, which I just assumed he does.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I liked him in Sonic Adventure 2 and never again.

Shadow's return in Heroes was handled very poorly and his game sucked (and the lore it added to him was terrible)

SA2 Shadow was cool before the novelty wore off. Rocket boots, nice character themes (but the SA2 soundtrack is GOAT anyway) no need to be faster than Sonic because teleportation, can freeze time, etc

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
He's fine I guess. I don't think Sonic necessarily needs a Vegeta to his Goku, but I'm also not a fan of, like, any of the story stuff they've done, so it's fine. He's fine.

I don't mind his lame early 00s vibe, though. Kind of fits in with all the butt rock. (Unironically.)

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's a good character. Most people can probably relate better to Sonic but some people can't and that's why they have Shadow. It's good to give people options. Also, sonic doesn't have a gun.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I know he eats coffee beans straight.

And his ultimate day involves doing random acts of kindness in secret.

And Kill la Kill is his favorite anime of all time.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked him before he had his own video game. I've hated him since. He should have stayed dead after Adventure 2.

Which of the poll options fit me best?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
He sucks just like all of Sonic's shitty friends.

Except Vector the crocodile. He turns into a donut when he jumps (he rules).

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
paging Village

you the homie but no

don't do this to yourself

think of ryo's dad, he wouldn't want this for you

you know me beefy, i gotta experience the good and the bad - like sonic 06, I'm not saying ill finish it, but i gotta try it and see the mess for myself

i enjoyed parts of unleashed and forces so who knows

He's the coolest

Yo that's interesting . Lotta Folks do not like current comic shadow. The guy who wrote it doesn't like it, he does not like the direction he has been given from sega. And it for him has resulted in story telling issues

I would be interested to know what you like about current comics shadow.

hes more android 17, and by more I mean hes litterally android 17 but he has a super form

Though lately they have been writing him like og shit broly. or cabba The evil sayain.It's bad. Woo boy its bad

eh i guess i dug him as sonics foil that wanted robotnik taken out when they had the chance?

didn't know about Segas restrictions though - what direction does the writer wanna take him in that he can't?
also what are examples of shadow stuff you & other fans dig, maybe I'm missing a better take on the character

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My eldest kid, who has never seen Shadow outside of Sonic Racing games (>_>) is obsessed with Shadow. Obsessed.

Take that as you will.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Cool character. Screw the haters. Shadow is dope.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
lmao everyone takes the sonic crew too seriously, shadow is fun and I bet the kids still love him (I def did)

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm just old enough to have thought he was silly when he was introduced. But I get why he's popular and he's certainly endured over the years.