• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, I've been thinking about it lately. In games like Portal, Antichamber, Zelda or Inside, I like puzzles. However, in games like God of War, Pokémon or Final Fantasy X, games where puzzles are not the central part of the game, I have always found them frustrating and killing the pace of the game. I am only able to see them as something that stands between me and the real fun of the game and for that reason their absence in most of the current JRPGs is something that I appreciate. I don't even care if they are easy or hard, they just seem annoying.

My last experience in this regard was with Hellblade, where the narrative caught me immediately, the combat was helpful but I quickly got tired of the perspective puzzles. And yet I like those same puzzles in something like The Witness.

What is your opinion of the inclusion of mandatory puzzles in games in which they are not a main mechanic?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
When they make sense and add to the experience, 100% yes. When they are just mind numbing bullshit to pad the game, no. (I liked the puzzles in Hellblade and many of them definitely added to the experience.)

May 13, 2019
I dislike them in the original God of War games as I felt they made the game came to a screeching halt so we could solve a very basic block pushing puzzle.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. But I don't much enjoy puzzles in general. I mostly want to turn my brain off when gaming as I need a break from all the critical thinking my job requires. They don't kill games for me, but I'm pretty quick to look up solutions.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Most puzzles in non puzzle games suck ass. Breath of the Wild somehow thread the needle.

But most of the time it just fucks up the flow. And I really dig puzzle games like Baba Is You or Quantum Conundrum.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind them at all, puzzles are a basic component of video games regardless of genre.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, I hated that shit in Uncharted. I'd rather walk around a beautiful video game house for two hours then to deal with puzzles.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,I always like a puzzle in an action game just to give me some downtime....the old GOW games had a great puzzle to action ratio,in the new one the puzzles were too simple.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more into them when they're actually using the game's main mechanics, instead of just flipping switches or connecting some bullshit for electricity to go through, or whatever. I don't know.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I liked them in Hellblade personally. A nice chunk of what Hellblade was involved various forms of puzzles and perspective manipulation was a pretty core aspect or so it felt to me.

GoW had some good ones too IMO. The axe mechanics were worked into them quite nicely.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
In basically every single video game progression is gated either by reflex tests or puzzle solving.
I'm more partial to the former but pretty much most games have both in some form.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
Screw puzzles in non-puzzle games. It's the time I pass my controller to my wife for a few moments. We understand each other so

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not generally.

I'm not a fan of puzzle games to begin with. They're tolerable in other genres if they're straightforward but they usually end up just frustrating me for 5-10 min.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
No, I skip them whenever possible. Imagine if something like TLOU 2 has puzzles, yikes.

The WORST shit though is ... "the door is locked, gotta find another way in".

Why does EVERY game do this?

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. They're usually not enough to make me hate the game or anything but most of the time they feel like busywork.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify that I love environmental puzzles where stuff makes sense. Not the abstract stuff that shows up like changing colors or using math or whatever else that is very puzzle-like.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Sometimes, when they're done well.

A recent example teetered the line for me - Crosscode. There are a LOT of puzzles in the main dungeons in that game. An overwhelming number, even. And when you think you've finished all of them, nope, there's more again.

The game bills itself as an action RPG - which it is - but there is as heavy, heavy puzzle focus and some of them border on frustrating, especially when they combine precision with time limits.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I generally enjoy puzzles but I'm with you OP, same goes for minigames in general.
I buy the game because I want to play it, not a totally different genre for 5 minutes.
Doesn't really improve the main aspect of the game and often ends up feeling like a chore.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I'm mostly neutral. It slips into dislike when they're just killing the pacing, or the solution is weird, or just generally when it makes no sense in the context of the world presented. Too often, I feel like puzzles, especially in JRPGs, have no logical place in the game world and are just there because it's a game and they want to add puzzles.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game and how they're executed. Hated them in GoW, but I liked them in Uncharted 4 as they were better designed and tied in to the narrative/ locations/lore in cool ways.

Nov 1, 2017
If they are good puzzles, then yes, I like them. They were especially welcome in otherwise dull, mindless games such as Pokemon. Ah well.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If they're good puzzles I like them, can be a good change of pace in an action game. Just don't make them boringly basic push a block here, move a plank there stuff.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If they're well made puzzles then yeah. Sometimes it feels like filler though.

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with the people saying that puzzles are sometimes intrinsic to video game design, regardless of genre. Boss battles are sometimes puzzles, turn based encounters in games like Xcom are also sometimes puzzles, finding the proper route in a platformer like Super Meat Boy, etc

Oct 27, 2017
If puzzles are prevalant in a game, then they're a central part of that game. It doesn't need to be a puzzle game for that to be the case

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
If they're actually good, make sense within the context of the game, and aren't just there to waste my time.

I.E., i felt like most of the puzzles in Fallen Order were there to artificially extend to length of the game.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I like a good puzzle in any game. I don't like a "puzzle" with an obvious but tediously-executed solution.