• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like Nintendo?

• Yes

Votes: 2,144 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 403 11.8%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 856 25.2%

• Total voters

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
When I was growing up, we were relatively poor and Nintendo's pricing strategies made their console / handheld / games impossible to buy. This was the late 1980s / early 1990s and I later discovered that pricing was the least of their flaws during that period.

So I never developed any meaningful attachment to Nintendo or their games. When I finally played Ocarina of Time or Mario 64, it was the early 2000s and they were fine, I guess, but no longer cutting edge.

Today I own a Switch and can buy any game I want. However, with Nintendo games I rarely seem to finish any of their non-Mario titles. I find their games lack something - often narrative or well written characters - that keep me invested.

Liking large multi-national companies is obviously a bit silly. And throughout much of their early dominance, my childhood, Nintendo was as thoroughly evil as any videogame company we've seen. Add in my ambivalence to many of their games and I cannot even claim to liking their games overall.

Oct 25, 2017
I like their games.
Grew up on their franchises.
Not really a fan with their "recent" hardware philosophy though.

After barely using my Wii U, and now going on half a decade waiting for a Switch Pro, I've lost touch and stopped caring about them as much.
The fact that I still haven't played BotW after spending all my teen years completely obsessed with the series is kinda weird.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
There are people that genuinely dislike them?

Other than console war nonsense and criticism of some of their business decisions, I don't really see it?

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
Personal opinion: even if this type of threads are well intended they always end up about console wars. Similar to the other PS5 thread about "best supported PS launch to date"

Jun 17, 2018
I enjoy some of their games but if it wasn't for Breath of the Wild 2 then I'd be selling my Switch. There just aren't enough games there for me personally and now that I'm not travelling into work every day, I don't use it too often.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

Other than console war nonsense and criticism of some of their business decisions, I don't really see it?
It depends on how you interpret the question, but asking "Do you like Nintendo" is already kind of a shitty question; I appreciate some of the games they've put out but does that mean I should like the company on the whole?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, every other videogame company could disappear and I wouldn't mind.

87817.jpg

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Yeah, they're pretty good. I'm not really the biggest fan of any of their franchises aside from maybe the pokemon rpgs so they haven't been my main platform since the SNES days but I like their games well enough to have picked up every nintendo console since the NES days.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've basically been doing a "hey, I'm really interested in what's being sold, therefore I'll buy it", without a second thought. There's not many I don't pick up immediately for whatever reason. Most of the time, price isn't really a concern if I already know I'm in for a good time. Like, I wouldn't buy SS HD coming in July, because frankly, I don't like the game. Even if it was like 20, I'd feel hard press to pick it up because of that. Likewise, multiplayer games aren't my cup of tea, so I might potentially sit out on a game of theirs that focuses more on that aspect.

Otherwise, I don't think of em as a friend. If anything, it's easier to maintain it purely in terms of interest in what they offer, and frankly, I'm interested in a lot of games they offer. Simple as that. I don't particularly care too much nowadays about most of what they do because I have better things to do. I don't feel like yelling "corporations are your friends" as if you're angry solely because they don't pretend to give a damn just to get their foot in the door.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Generally yes, but it can dive into it's complicated pretty regularly. I make it a point to call Nintendo out on their bullshit, which so many of their fans seem to let slide by or even encourage.

Nintendo makes some of the most fun games available, some of my personal favorite games of all time (including my very favorite Metroid Prime), and arguably objectively some of the greatest games of all time period. But they're also just fucking riddled with the capability for stupid and/or baffling decisions, and can seemingly go as far as intentionally not giving two shits about the players they are serving.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
It's complicated. They have franchises I love (Mainline Mario, Mario Kart/Party/Sports, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Wave Race, Pilotwings) but the Switch is probably the most disappointed I've been in a console I've owned software wise (I skipped the WiiU).

Honestly I'm starting to get a little sick of their strategies. Never lowering the price of their games, continually shitty and limited multiplayer or online modes, underpowered hardware, it just doesn't resonate with me as much any more.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
When I was growing up in the early 90's I'd pick Nintendo over the competition 10/10. Since Sony came onto the scene after the failed collaboration with Nintendo, I gravitated towards them because of the more mature content they were pumping out. The whole "no blood on the SNES version of Mortal Kombat" pissed me right the hell off. Sweat?!?! Lmfao. They did right with MK2 though but soon after Sony came and dominated my gaming career.

Through the years I've come to correlate Nintendo with casual/kid games. All the bright colors and iteration upon iteration of Mario games. I get that's it's their bread and butter and I don't hate them for that. It's just that they were a phase in gaming that I grew out of. Sony molded me into a hardcore gamer with all the different genre of games and mature content they were putting out. In my opinion Nintendo is not synonymous with hardcore gaming. And probably never will be.

They did, however, gain some brownie points with me recently when they announced a new 2D Metroid and am happy as hell to dust off my Switch to play it.

I voted No because of the above statements and because I hate that they made their latest console a handheld first and a system with proper controller second. I hate portable gaming. I hate that I had to buy a proper controller for it to play games comfortably. I hate that the pro controller drifts so I had to buy an 8bitdo chip to connect my DS4 to play Zelda, and Luigis mansion. Just my opinion on the matter.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time trusting gamers who don't enjoy at least some Nintendo games.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Love some of their first party games, but there are plenty of things they are trash at.

I can't even download anything on my Switch right now because they botched their latest update over a week ago without a fix yet. Many people have had issues with their joycons drifting. They are terrible at a lot of things other than some business decisions. Not to mention plenty of reasons to dislike some of their software decisions in the past like a reliance on motion controls. I want to like them. They are one of the GOAT entertainment companies when they are on their "A" game for sure. They just make it real hard sometimes.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Love 'em.
BOTW is my GOAT and nothing captures my gaming imagination as much as the 3D Mario Platformers, Zelda and Metroid Prime.
They can be very frustrating at times with certain decisions but Super Mario Odyssey and SM3DW have more creativity in them than most other games put together (slight exaggeration but you get the point).

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I find myself enjoying their games less and less and have thought about passing on their consoles in the future. I think they do a great thing for the industry but it's just not for me.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
In terms of just the games, favourite first party by far. And their console is cool.

But their treatment of their back catalog is so awful it hurts. Why do I have to drag out my Wii U to play through the Metroid games?

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I like their games. As a company, no.
But they are a gaming company, so I'm on the fence.
I mean, my biggest complain is that they are stubborn on making the things right. I mean, not too long ago they were certain that the most effective way to advertise games were in the Saturday Morning shows and in Cake competitions, while actively putting copyright claim in any videos on the Youtube. I mean, everyone remembers the controversy over Super Smash Bros. Melee on EVO 2013.
It's hard to be a fan of a company which does their best to make everyone hates them, and I actually understand everyone which hate them.
But, the 90's kid still lives inside me, and that kid still consider Mario & Zelda the best game franchises he ever played.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had a positive thought about Nintendo since sometime in 2002.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I like Nintendo in the sense that usually I like their products and have satisfactory experience with them.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I did until the N64 which was a huge disappointment compared to the snes. Since then I have not purchased another Nintendo system.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If Nintendo disappeared tomorrow, I'd miss BotW2 and that's it really. They are mostly irrelevant for me.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Great games. Good games. Serviceable hardware. Horrible policies in general.

I'd be a Nintendo fan but at every junction of me wanting to do that has been met with absurd amounts of friction. Amiibos, limited merchandise stocks, their stance on YouTube and streaming content, not price dropping games, etc etc. So at this point I accept that I will buy 2 or 3 Nintendo games a year and otherwise… meh.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I love their games and their hardware. I espesially like it when they aren't winning becuase that's when they are the most creative and good to the fans. The Gamecube and Wii U eras really resulted in some great experiences. That said, they really do continue to put out quality products and can be trusted to deliver. One of the few companies where I will preorder a game or buy it day one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Interesting to read this alongside the custom PC thread, I can tell you.

Both discussions are arguably 'hobbyist' or non-essential topics in nature, which you can't say about other platforms on their own. We've all liked/loved our various goods and services from Sony/Microsoft over many years that aren't necessarily related to gaming. Loved my discman, cut my teeth on old Windows, etc.

This is why Nintendo is divisive. You can talk about them in singular terms, like a purely gaming-dedicated PC you set up and invest a lot of time, energy and (some of your actual identity) into.

Jan 4, 2018
I never grew up with Nintendo. So I don't really have any nostalgia for their big franchises like Zelda, Mario, Smash, etc. They're fun but not something I get excited about during reveals. Switch is my first Nintendo console.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory generalisation, attacking the community
I think I finally get most of the no votes.

As an adult with family and friends, most of what Nintendo does is to cater to that. Parties and general merriment. Normal people doing normal Things.

If you're a grotesque or some sort of freak that can't interact with the general public, you don't like them because of this.

Makes sense in the context of this forum as most of you are disgusting shut-ins.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Easily my favorite gaming company, even with the many baffling decisions and a haphazard approach to the back catalog.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally get most of the no votes.

As an adult with family and friends, most of what Nintendo does is to cater to that. Parties and general merriment. Normal people doing normal Things.

If you're a grotesque or some sort of freak that can't interact with the general public, you don't like them because of this.

Makes sense in the context of this forum as most of you are disgusting shut-ins.
I can't speak for all disgusting shut-ins but at least this disgusting shut-in voted yes.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Nintendo made the snes and the gba. Just for that il always love them. Il love them even more if they did an HD 2d remake of fire emblem the sacred stones. that