• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Other M

• I like it

Votes: 233 33.0%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 317 44.8%
  • Never played it

Votes: 157 22.2%

• Total voters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So back on the old place, a majority of people said they said it was a good game. What do people think of it now?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The idea on paper was great, a character action game made by Team Ninja with the direction of the original Super Metroid director.

The execution on the other hand left much to be desired.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I liked it for it's game play. The way you swap the control from it's side ways controls to pointing at the screen was legitimately fun for me. The finishers looked cool, the animations were sweet. I remember some bosses being cool too. The story was weak but that didn't deter me from enjoying it.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It has a lot of problems but overall it's not a bad game. It has a lot of cool ideas, I like the automatic targeting, the finishing moves are pretty badass and turning the Wiimote to go to first person was a cool mechanic (although I agree that the game would be much better if you could just use the nunchuck).

What really killed it was the horrible story.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Other M was fun, but there was one part in the game, that took me 30 minutes to figure out how to beat (no exaggeration) and I thought it was such shitty game design. I had to look at the floor for some reason (I think for like blood or slime or something) and I couldn't for the like of me realize that, or figure that out.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fundamentally busted game. Not just the idiotic story, almost every aspect of the game is just so wrongheaded. The only redeeming aspect is that the game does blend 3D and 2D fairly well while making Samus look agile. It's just too bad they had to automate so much of the movement and shooting to accomplish that.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
No. I gave it a shot and the gameplay wasn't too bad from an action perspective, but the fact it was that with weird and unintuitive mechanics trying to mesh with tradtional Metroidvania gameplay and the narrative/story was...what it was, I couldn't bring myself to complete it.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I got stuck on one of the pixel hunting parts and was never ever able to get past it. Didn't help my Wii got stolen along with a bunch of my games down the road.

I have been thinking about picking it up and giving it another shot. It's definitely not anywhere close to the quality of the Prime Trilogy but it was interesting to play. Fun, but the pixel hunts were extremely aggravating. Graphics were top notch for the Wii, controls were uh... Unique.

Didn't get that far so I have no opinion on the story, just remember the cut-scenes were pretty.

7/10 from what I remember.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate it as much as everyone else, but I didn't love it either. It was just okay.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It was a good game, quite flashy and fun to play for the most part - but what one poster has called "pixel hunts" could have been better, and the story turns atrocious towards the end. Still had some great moments, and the satisfaction from the combat and the upgrades is still pretty good. The idea of how it was intended to play wasn't a bad one, it could form the basis of a truly great game if Nintendo wanted to ever go this route again.

coryschmitz

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I really liked it haha. I played it like three times. The cutscenes sucked but I liked literally everything else. The dodge mechanic was really cool & the epilogue section was one of my favorite Metroid moments.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a game, it was mediocre and didn't share important design pillars with other metroid games -- that's not that big a deal, I guess, but story-wise it ruined the character of Samus

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Most disappointing game of all time. Can't believe anyone thought ignoring the nunchuck in a 3D game was a good idea, and that's ignoring the character assassination they did to Samus and the truly awful redesign of her suit. And no exploration.

Just awful, and I don't buy anything by Team Ninja anymore

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yeap, not without its problems (the worst of which the Where's Waldo segments and the slow forced walking periods), but I loved the 3D translation of classic Metroid gameplay and thought the action was great - even if it took a while to adjust to the first person aim switch for missiles, once I got it it became satisfying.

Would definitely love another take of it without the really dumb stuff that shouldn't exist and without the shitty story, and using a more explorable map that's not completely locked off to the end............... Power Bombs should not be left to endgame.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the game would actually shut up and let me play it, I had a good time (same issue I had with Skyward Sword, actually). Problem was it never seemed to shut up for long.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Boss fights were dope. Probably my favorite Ridley boss battle aside from MP3s Meta Ridley.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I had more fun playing it than NES Metroid, so it's my second least favorite in the franchise (haven't played Federation Force).

It's a deeply flawed game, but besides the story, weapon unlock system, and infuriating pixel hunts, the biggest problem with it is that it locks off most of the map until the very end. If the game had been less hand-holdy and it didn't lock off areas, I would have enjoyed it way more.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
+ Platforming is great, it's nice to see Samus in the 3D world
+ Cool boss fights
+ Colorful and vibrant world

- God awful story and too anime characters
- Mediocre music that kills the atmosphere
- Stupid first person segments basically ruins the whole experience

Conclusion: Great ideas, shit execution. Somebody needs to try this again.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's the only Metroid game I beat so yes I did like the gameplay even though the story was nonsense / confusing and stupid

Tried other Metroid games like super, and prime 1 but those are too hard and confusing for me

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played it again a couple of years ago and yes I did like it. The story/characters are terrible and the controls could seriously be improved by not being a Wii Remote on its side only but I dunno I thought the gameplay was very good. The music too, and the game has some of the best graphics I feel on the Wii. Take the good with the bad and it's overall a good game I think.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
On its own I felt it was a fun game. It was nowhere near as good as most other Metroid games, but a good game regardless.

Samus needing permission to use weapons and whatnot was stupid, but I guess that's the byproduct of the player having to regain the same power ups every game.

Oct 26, 2017
Played it twice a decade ago when it came out. Thought it was very interesting and conceptually unique. Didn't take the story very seriously and thoroughly enjoyed the fact that it tried all kinds of new things as a game, even if they didn't always work as well as I'd have liked.
In hindsight the resources spent on making hours of cinematics could have been better spent developing the game itself, but that may have not been an option for other reasons.

Last edited:

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
I enjoyed the gameplay, visuals, and ambition. I hated the story, exploration, and much of the music. Overall it was a positive experience for me, even though it retroactively screwed up Fusion's excellent story and did a decade of lasting damage to my favorite game franchise.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the characterisation problems people have, but I did enjoy the game at the time. It was a nice change after the Prime games.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside the bad story, bad writing, bad level design, bad "Metroid" deisgn, uninspired aesthetic design, it could've been a halfway decent action game if they just committed to the vision of making it more combat centric than it was, focus less on the "Metroid-y" elements, had good controls, and played to Team Ninja's strengths.

It doesn't even do that.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Godawful game outside of the Ridley and postgame bossfights (which imo are the only two sections in the game that live up to the idea of a 3D Metroid action game). So much of it is repetitive sections that are boring as fuck. Didnt like walking slow through a section for no reason? Youre going to do it like 4 more times in the next hour. Didnt like that one flying bug subboss near the end? You're going to fight him 4 more times in the next hour. Didnt like the pixelhunting first person section? Dont worry theres more. The narrative and gameplay collide in dumbfuck ways that leaves a sour taste in my mouth about both. "Oh you just survived the timelimited heat section? Okay turn on the AC in your suit, you can walk through there normally now" Like I get they wanted a time-pressure countdown level, but could they at least have invented a better narrative wrapping around it than "Samus refuses to turn on heat protection until Adam says so"

Also never clicked with the "Sideways controller you suddenly need to turn and point at the screen" mechanic Nintendo inexplicably tried with multiple Wii games. Always felt really clunky and ruined the faux-NES controller vibe they were going for by forcing the sideways controller in the first place. Just let me attach the nunchuk if you're going to break the illusion like that, who cares.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't finish it, but i liked it except for having to change into first person. I could never be fast enough for those sections.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
It's not like mechanically broken or anything, but it does get pretty boring as you go on and doesn't really have any great redeeming values that make me want to view it fondly.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, did they take the opportunity of the Wii U eshop release to fix that one game-breaking bug?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I like it. It's a flawed game that needed a story editor, but the premise of the story and the intention of the charactes (separate from the execution) was fine and I enjoyed the gameplay.

It gets far more hate than it ever deserved.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a bad game, from the story to the gameplay itself. Anyone who claims the gameplay is fine has no clue what they are talking about.

Godawful game outside of the Ridley and postgame bossfights (which imo are the only two sections in the game that live up to the idea of a 3D Metroid action game). So much of it is repetitive sections that are boring as fuck. Didnt like walking slow through a section for no reason? Youre going to do it like 4 more times in the next hour. Didnt like that one flying bug subboss near the end? You're going to fight him 4 more times in the next hour. Didnt like the pixelhunting first person section? Dont worry theres more. The narrative and gameplay collide in dumbfuck ways that leaves a sour taste in my mouth about both. "Oh you just survived the timelimited heat section? Okay turn on the AC in your suit, you can walk through there normally now" Like I get they wanted a time-pressure countdown level, but could they at least have invented a better narrative wrapping around it than "Samus refuses to turn on heat protection until Adam says so"

Also never clicked with the "Sideways controller you suddenly need to turn and point at the screen" mechanic Nintendo inexplicably tried with multiple Wii games. Always felt really clunky and ruined the faux-NES controller vibe they were going for by forcing the sideways controller in the first place. Just let me attach the nunchuk if you're going to break the illusion like that, who cares.
This guy gets it.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Played it when it came out so ages ago but I liked the gameplay and that's the most important part.

Had a good time overall.