• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• I do

Votes: 608 81.9%
  • I do not

Votes: 134 18.1%

• Total voters

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Need to get this forum's thoughts on this delightful side dish. Thoughts and opinions below.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kimchi is delicious! I usually keep a Costco tub of it in my fridge, and like to add a little bit to dishes.

Sometimes there's bits of what I think is a radish in the kimchi, and those are little nuggets of satisfaction

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I get the opportunity to try it, I do.

Still haven't developed a taste for it yet, though.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
andrew_phung_kims_convenience.jpg

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
He's. And I'm happy I've found some vegan one. I plan to do kimchi fried rice within a few days.
Yes, the struggle for vegan kimchis are real, but new options all the time at least. It's hard to find more 'traditional'ish ones here though, all the vegan ones. try to be distinct in some ways and end up sucking.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The cabbage one is alright (the ones I find at restaurants/stores here seem to vary quite a bit in quality) but I especially love the radish ones.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I love it. On a side note, can you cook with kimchi? Does that ruin all the beneficial bacteria, or is kimchi just something that's best eaten raw?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Never had it or even heard of it. Giving it a quick Google search though, it sounds pretty damn good. Will need to give it a try.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of it. I tried it when I went traveling a few years back, and both times I was... ehh...

There's quite a few varieties of kimchi out there however. I'd be willing to give it another shot.

Don't think I know what it is but I assume I won't and I'm likely never going to try it.

Fermented vegetables, usually cabbages. It's a side dish and a staple of Korean cuisine.

en.wikipedia.org

Kimchi - Wikipedia

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I love it, the spicier the better. I buy the costco one when I'm out, but I don't eat it every day. Probably 1-2x a week. Lasts me usually a good month at least. I like it with everything - burgers, side for steak, with eggs, with chicken, on and on. Raw is better, but I mix it sometimes with stir fry kinda dishes, it adds a little something extra.

I wouldn't reject kimchi based on just 1 tasting, I've found a huge variety in tastes and flavors and some I like and some I do not. I don't like the ones that put too much fish sauce and give it that fishy smell, or ones that don't spice it up enough.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Never had it but when the world opens up again I would love to travel to Seoul, South Korea and try it out there. Nothing beats eating a dish in the country it originated from.

bluestuff

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary AB
Was just thinking about Kimchi. Will fry a green onion pancake tonight, a nice smokie, kimchi, pickled red onion and yellow mustard. Surprised this hasn't caught on more!

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, it's great. I made the Momofuku bo ssäm recipe as a New Year's dinner yesterday, with puréed kimchi as one of the sauces.

Also I make kimchi fried rice pretty frequently.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
In small doses, and mixed with other stuff.

Wish store bought options would chop their stuff more finely.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, as long as no fishy sauce is used as part of the fementation. Can't stand fish sauce/anchovy smell lol.
I also like it a tad sweet or at least not too bitter or a weird dry alcohol taste.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I used to go to a Korean established church so that was the first time I tried kimchi. I didnt like it at first. Then I tried it in s. Korea, spicy af. Now any place that has kimchi ill take it.
Kimchi jigae, kimchi fried rice, so delicious.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I used to go to a Korean established church so that was the first time I tried kimchi. I didnt like it at first. Then I tried it in s. Korea, spicy af. Now any place that has kimchi ill take it.
Kimchi jigae, kimchi fried rice, so delicious.
I love the little buckets of kimchi attached to tables at some restaurants in South Korea.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, also am korean

I love it. On a side note, can you cook with kimchi? Does that ruin all the beneficial bacteria, or is kimchi just something that's best eaten raw?
There's lots of dishes you can cook with kimchi (stews, pancakes, fried rice, stir fry, etc.) tho it's mainly done with older, more fermented kimchi

as a side note: pasta with tomato sauce goes well with kimchi on the side

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah. I got some cucumber kimchi thrown into my last delivery meal and let me just say it was a revelation. It was amazing. Refreshing but spicy at the same time! I loved it.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I had it once at a Korean BBQ spot. It was good but not something I needed to eat again.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely.

I taught in Korea for 4 years and there was one day when a bunch of the moms randomly brought stuff to make kimchi to school. I think I had more fun making it than the kids did.

I only eat it when I'm at a restaurant though, it's scent is a bit too strong to have in a refrigerator (probably why most Koreans have a seperate one).