• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time?

• A Link to the Past

Votes: 583 46.8%
  • Ocarina of Time

Votes: 664 53.2%

• Total voters

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
LttP by a long shot, it's a top 5 of all time game for me and Ocarina is the worst 3d Zelda by a wide margin, so yeah.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
ALTTP every day since OOT is just a spiritual remake of it.

Like the structure of the game is exactly the same and I could tell back when I was a kid.

3 initial dungeons, dark/future, then 7 more. Same damn game. I love OOT but it has nothing over ALTTP which is still very replayable and enjoyable today.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Link to the Past wins out for me. I feel like some of the core concepts are more interesting.... But in reality, the main thing is I feel like the puzzles are just better in LTTP.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time for me, the temple themes and Ocarina songs are ingrained in me. Forest Temple's theme is hauntingly beautiful and Song of Storms is perfect.

Last edited:

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Visually I prefer ALTTP, that colourful 16-bit 2D look has aged far better than the blurry and muddy N64 3D and the soundtrack is better too..

As a game however OoT is just plain better, far more elaborately designed dungeons to start with, ALTTP really lacks in the puzzle department compared to later games in the series..
Better bossfights, far richer word with much more to do.
Yeah, I'll go with Ocarina of Time.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
I can replay a link to the past every few years... . Since the first time it put it in my SNES at christmas 1992 it was on part of my pop 10 games. The moment to moment gameplay, the pacing, etc. are nearly unmatched.

OOT - It is still too much of a prototype and it was the origin of some flaws the Zelda series carried till Skyward Sword. However my teenage-me loved every second of the game... And some of the best moments of the game are still among the very best in gaming. However pacing, dungeons etc. are all a bit weaker (understandably so, so many rules for 3d action adventures had to be written by this game)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't played OoT in ages except for a tiny bit of the 3DS port.

These were both the best games I had ever played when I first played them.
I played LTTP a few years ago and still had a blast. But I couldn't tell you which is better now cause it's been so long since I've olayed OoT but it really blew me away when I first played it, which was actually on the GameCube

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LTTP is top tier Zelda only matched by the original.

OoT was the start of many things they did to the series that has mostly turned me off it that really only BotW has somewhat fixed.

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
A link to the past, but not because I think Oot aged badly, I'm actually in the minority of people who think N64 games still look and play fine today.

I just don't really like 3D Zelda games for some reason, I only ever completed Wind Waker HD, which was great, but I don't really like that style of game.

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
These are my 1 and 2 Zelda games, but for me Ocarina takes it. It is the big cliché, but I don't think anything has topped the feeling of stepping into Hyrule Field for the first time.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Ocarina, the hype was unbelievable back in 98. ALTTP is hideous when compared to Links Awakening, but the way the story unfolds at the start is incredible for a 16 bit game. I always lose interest when it comes to traversing the dark world.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Both great games, OoT had me in awe when it came out though. So that.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OoT from a Lore/story standpoint is the second most important game ATM (BoTW May become that depending on how things go).

From Game Design though LttP is the mold that so many future Zelda games follow (esp OoT mimics it so much)

LttP is just such a more enjoyable game and has aged so much better

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
LTTP is top tier Zelda only matches by the original.

OoT was the start of many things they did to the series that has mostly turned me off it that really only BotW has someone fixed.

OoT is basically LTTP in 3D. I can't think of many things that OoT did (other than be 3d, obviously), that weren't also either directly in LTTP, or the result of iterating on LTTP.

Oct 25, 2017
I was a Megadrive/Genesis child, so I never had a chance to play ALTTP when it was fresh. I feel like the comparison is unfair on ALTTP because of that distance I have from its actual moment, but all I can say is that to this day I can still replay OoT, but I've never managed to get more than a few hours into ALTTP.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Having played both way after their initial release dates I much preferred LTTP. It aged so much better and I can see myself revisiting it.
I see the appeal of OoT, Maybe it's because I don't have any nostalgia but it just didn't gel with me as much.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OoT is basically LTTP in 3D. I can't think of many things that OoT did (other than be 3d, obviously), that weren't also either directly in LTTP, or the result of iterating on LTTP.

I really didnt like the intro. Stuck in a town doing chores is not fun to me. LTTP is literally here is a sword.. go!

And OoT is when it became apparent it was starting to get a more eastern influence as opposed to the western D&D style the series was going for in the first 3 games. I'm old school like that.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
For me these are two masterpieces and it is pretty hard to choose between the two of them. I could pick either depending on their mood.

LTTP is more timeless but OOT was so freaking ahead of its time when it is released. I have really great memories of both games. They are both two examples of what make videogames special as a medium.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ocarina is the better game overall, LTTP has more content, but that goes against it actually. I remember feeling overwhelmed when I got to the dark world, and trying 100% felt tiresome and pointless, with a fell items being entirely redundant. Also, the story got really bizarre near the end.
Ganon is a vampire? Also that fairy...

I am a bigger fan of the Zelda games made by capcom when it comes to 2d.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I feel more nostalgia with A Link to the Past, and at the same time I prefer its soundtrack. So, ALttP for me.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Link to the Past's action, and they leaned into that more than they do in the 3D Zelda games. Also, the top-down view makes for a very clinical and video gamey experience to me. Entering a room in a dungeon and immediately having everything in the room shown to me instantly vs entering a room in a dungeon and having to look around in a third- or first-person perspective makes a world of difference. In top-down Zeldas, Link feels like a character I'm controlling on the screen. In third-person Zeldas, Link feels like me. I'm generally having fun while playing LttP, but the next day I'm not too motivated to continue playing, to the point where I've still never beaten it.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
A Link to the Past is solid and has a good world, but I always felt that its dungeons were pretty weak; A Link Between Worlds improved on those significantly while retaining the same overworld.

Ocarina of Time is dated in some ways, and Hyrule Field is a big old blah, but the areas aside from that are quite good, and it still has some of the best dungeons in the series once you get past the initial meh-ness of the child dungeons--every single one of the adult dungeons is spectacular. I have to give it to Ocarina here.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020

No. There is much more and longer backtracking, less freedom, more cluter and a few confusing layouts. The pacing is not as good. As it was one of our first 3d action adventures done right I think we overlooked many issues at the time.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I played both games years after they came out and Link to the Past is a far better game when you don't have nostalgia goggles on. OoT is a fine game still, its just very empty. Link to the Past is filled to the brim and feels like a real area.

If it was between Link to the Past though and Majoras Mask I would have to go MM. I beat that in 72 real hours my first playthrough (Which is wild because it took around 24 hours to complete). I could not put it down.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
10-15-20 years ago I would have absolutely said Ocarina of Time without hesitation, but these days I don't really like the 3D Zelda formula very much. I'd rather play Link to the Past or the Link's Awakening remake over Ocarina.

Ocarina of Time I'd say the first 4 dungeons are great, but once you head to the Fire Temple the quality declines enough that I'm not really having fun anymore.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If I had played OOT in its time, I might go with that.. but like many 2D vs 3D games, LTTP has aged so much better

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time is unlike any game at the time in terms of open world exploration and tightly crafted dungeons in 3D. And it fully utilises 3D map design right from the start. Jumping down to lower floors from the deku tree was brilliant design. Only Mario 64 and Tomb Raider were doing similar stuff but they lacked the connected world of OoT. Blew my mind playing it back in 1998.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. There is much more and longer backtracking, less freedom, more cluter and a few confusing layouts. The pacing is not as good. As it was one of our first 3d action adventures done right I think we overlooked many issues at the time.
Maybe true, but the thread isn't asking "which is the better game" it's asking which we like better.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I actually extremely dislike Ocarina. It's structure and feel is just something I really never liked and this will sound weird to many but honestly the world of OOT always felt so much smaller to me. Wind Waker felt like a step forward and then TP & SS both felt like big steps backwards to me.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I played LttP first as a kid, but not in a "I'm sitting down to play a game from start to finish" way, more like a "I'm 5 wow game cool" way. But OoT I played when I was a few years older and was totally drawn in. It was over for LttP then. My love for OoT cannot be divorced from my nostalgia for it. I do like every Zelda game I've played, though. There isn't one I'd say I disliked playing (that includes Phantom Hourglass lmao I liked that game)

Also controversial opinion time but Minish Cap is the best 2d Zelda.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Ocarina of Time. So many little secrets and such a beautiful, well-constructed world. Saria and Zelda and Shiek and Malon and Ruta and Mido and Darunia and Biggoron. The locations and the dungeons and the swords and the items and the music and the sound effects.

I get the familiar story beats between ALttP and OoT but playing them feels completely different and I don't really like the comparison. That being said, OoT is more impactful for me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time for me. I was a SNES kid and, while I obviously loved ALTTP, it was another (great) SNES game. Ocarina had me in bits when it came out. It felt like the future.

Both incredible games. But Ocarina is likely a once in a lifetime release as far as my nostalgia goes.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't a wrong answer.

I'm going to go with OOT.

While LttP has the timeless art direction and is generally spectacular, it lacks some of the diversity of experience that OOT excels at. In Ocarina, you can cross haunted deserts, travel in time, dive beneath lakes, change the weather, stealthily sneak into a guarded castle, discover Skulltulas, hover down canyons with chickens, ride Epona, hunt ghosts and steer Bombchus through courses. The breadth of mechanics and gameplay experiences, and the stunning realisation of these, gives me more to do than LttP.

Both are great though.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
LTTP and it's not even close in my mind. 2d will always be superior to 3d and LTTP is pretty much a perfect game.