• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time?

• A Link to the Past

Votes: 583 46.8%
  • Ocarina of Time

Votes: 664 53.2%

• Total voters

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Rather, the upside of that is that A Link to the Past has very few NPCs. :)

I feel like the Zelda series is a lot like the Ys series in that the gameplay can be so good and the stories & characters tend to be mediocre so the games that focus heavily on gameplay & lightly on story tend to be the best ones.

The best story in a Zelda game is in Link's Awakening. Really shows how less can be more.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
I like ALttP more, but it was also the first video game I ever played through without any help from my parents or older neighbors. There's a bias there I will freely admit to, but I still think OoT is a truly special game. It has a lot of rough edges by modern standards, but I weirdly find a lot of those flaws charming? Like, there's not a game in the world that would tie its fast travel system to having the player memorize songs that they then have to play on an in-game instrument anymore. Even Zelda stopped doing that after OoT because it obviously creates needless friction for a player when they just want to fast travel to a location, but there's just something so pure, playful, and immersive about the mechanic. It's pure Nintendo! No one else would have thought to approach the mechanic that way, and I can't help but love it, even if it's a little clunky.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay in ALTTP hasn't aged very well. The sword hitbox feels terrible and only being able to equip a single item at a time is painful. Sure the graphics look nice, but OOT is the better game in 2020.

Not with those controls. Super weird to complain about only being able to equip 1 item, and ignoring 3D controls, camera, and targeting stuck in the N64 generation with the band-aid of gyro on 3DS.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Mario 64 and OoT, the feeling of playing those games, will never be topped (VR came close).
But OoT aged so poorly.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm guessing you had to be there for this one. ALttP is a bit of a kitchen sink game to me, where they had a lot of ideas, but didn't really care to explore most all that well. It could probably stand to cut a few dungeons, as most of them felt pretty samey. I assume it was because most were visually similar, lacked a gimmick, barely use the item you find inside, and most had simplistic sword-mashing boss fights at the end. The lack of named NPCs hurt it too for me, making me less invested in that world. I do respect it for what it was, but I prefer the direction changes that the series took with Link's Awakening. ALBW would also pretty much address most of my issues with this one.

Ocarina had pretty good dungeon theming, forces the use of the dungeon items a lot both in puzzles and the boss fights, and has plenty of memorable NPCs. The gimmick of a 3D Zelda wasn't really there for me, since I had already played other 3D Zeldas before it, but I still think it is among the better entries. I was especially surprised how well it used verticality in its design. To this day, most of our 3D games still put everything important on the floor or at eye-level, so it was weird to go back and see them be this ambitious on that front. Its successor does similar things, so I assume it's because we hadn't agreed yet on certain standards as a medium. I do think OoT peaks relatively early, and there's probably a lot I'd change about it, but I still think it's really impressive, with plenty of gimmicks I haven't seen replicated in anything else. Of these two, it easily has my support.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
Ocarina because I played it first. I played about 3/4 of LttP and got bored because the structure was the same as OoT and therefore just got bored (odd I know because it's a negative towards OoT).

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Rather, the upside of that is that A Link to the Past has very few NPCs. :)

I feel like the Zelda series is a lot like the Ys series in that the gameplay can be so good and the stories & characters tend to be mediocre so the games that focus heavily on gameplay & lightly on story tend to be the best ones.

The best story in a Zelda game is in Link's Awakening. Really shows how less can be more.
I feel like, especially after Adventure of Link, the Zelda series didn't receive the Action-Adventure moniker just yet, but that of Action RPGs. It's not too different from Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger in that regard apart from the lack of XP and a party system. You could even argue heart pieces are a form of level-ups.

As an RPG, NPCs are necessary to create a living, breathing world. That not everything is out there to kill you. To create bonds even if they're considered shallow in the heydays of the 16-bit era. Like, you know almost nothing about Zelda. You knew almost nothing about Zelda in the two NES games.

Ocarina of Time is the first in the series to change that. Zelda is more than a side character, a damsel in distress, you're supposed to save. For that it should be applauded.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Not with those controls. Super weird to complain about only being able to equip 1 item, and ignoring 3D controls, camera, and targeting stuck in the N64 generation with the band-aid of gyro on 3DS.

When I think outdated 3D controls I think Bubsy 3D, Silent Hill 1, or Siphon Filter. Ocarina of Time's control scheme really isn't that far removed from more modern adventure games like Darksiders. It still has analog movement controls with a context-sensitive action button even if there isn't a second camera stick.

For me the 2D combat in ALTTP was way more annoying than Z-targeting in OOT ever was. I found the most effective strategy was to just throw pots at a lot of the enemies instead of using the sword. The analog movement added in ALBW on 3DS felt a million times better than being locked to the cardinal directions on the SNES.

Limiting the item equipment slots means more time pausing and less opportunity to do multiple things at once. In OOT you can stun an enemy with the Deku Nut then immediately follow up with a different item. I just find the 2D gameplay from both a combat and dungeon design perspective to be more limited compared to 3D.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is one of the reasons why I like LttP better than OoT. LttP gets into the action immediately (after maybe 30 secs of dialogue, you're off on a dangerous rescue mission) and there are only a handful of story scenes in the entire game, each of which are over very quickly. It's almost entirely gameplay, whereas OoT really wanted to be more cinematic & story-driven which was to the series' detriment, I feel.

I would say it only became a detriment to the series with TP and especially SS where the story, character and plot elements take up a significantly larger share of the overall experience and thus remove control from the player far too often and too long. Particularly SS. 3D games overall until BotW though also suffered a good deal more due to Nintendo's design philosophy and belief that players required an excessive amount of direction and hand holding throughout the entire experience outside of just story segments. Their lack of trust in players to figure things out on their own to me felt like it interfered much more than the actual plot setup and segments, at least in OoT/MM/WW. Maybe at the time that was necessary since few people had any experience with playing 3D games and they needed to help guide people into this new way of playing, but thankfully they've found it's not needed anymore and have developed much more subtle means of acclimating new players without taking control away from them.

Not much you can do if you literally don't want any kind of overt narrative elements and cutscenes though. LA certainly tells a compelling and emotional story and is easily my favorite 2D game and one of the more emotionally resonant experiences in the series overall, but I still find that OoT/MM/WW level of narrative development doesn't interfere too much and what it does adds greatly enhances the overall experience making for a good trade off.

BotW was a nice reset as their dogmatic adherence to the philosophy of freedom really forced them to drop everything that conflicted with it and couldn't get to work in time. I look forward to seeing if they can manage to infuse some of those gameplay and story elements they basically had to drop completely back into BotW2 while not undermining that core philosophy.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay in ALTTP hasn't aged very well. The sword hitbox feels terrible and only being able to equip a single item at a time is painful. Sure the graphics look nice, but OOT is the better game in 2020.

I think the hitbox feels fine on the sword in A Link to the Past. I just popped it in and gave it a few minutes. It feels good. Saying A Link to the Past feels bad in comparison to Ocarina of Time, which honestly controls very poorly today, feels like a very weird statement to me.

*edit*
I see someone already basically wrote this reply. My bad.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Between those two I prefer OoT but honestly I find those two to be some of the more vanilla Zelda games. I love them and appreciate their incredibly large contributions to the franchise and gaming as a whole but I much prefer some of the odder entries in the series such as Majora's Mask or the Oracle games.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I have probably a degree of sentimentality for Link To The Past that I do not for Ocarina Of Time (I played both as a kid, but LTTP was my first Zelda and one of my first games ever), but I think OOT is more consistently entertaining overall. LTTP has a lot of great moments but stretches of dull periods, and OOT's 3D world, although simple by today's standards, is still fairly mindblowing in how realized it feels in the context of a 1998 video game. I've only played LTTP through once whereas I've done OOT thrice. I tend to think LTTP gets less interesting the deeper you go into the Dark World whereas OOT really gets going during the adult section.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
this is what my favorite game looks like. pixel perfect:

vPXLwLw.png

Ocarina....all the hype. ugly as sin.

zelda-ocarina-of-time-21.jpg

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
Give props to both, my vote goes to LttP.

Playing through OoT the first time I felt like it was the same formula translated to 3D. However I will acknowledge the characters were more unique and expressive in Oot, and it was definitely a groundbreaking 3D game.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Lttp aged like a fine wine and OoT aged like milk.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Ocarina is a shallow game. No depth or substance. Blows my mind that anyone would prefer it. The first good 3D Zelda was BOTW.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I think outdated 3D controls I think Bubsy 3D, Silent Hill 1, or Siphon Filter. Ocarina of Time's control scheme really isn't that far removed from more modern adventure games like Darksiders. It still has analog movement controls with a context-sensitive action button even if there isn't a second camera stick.

For me the 2D combat in ALTTP was way more annoying than Z-targeting in OOT ever was. I found the most effective strategy was to just throw pots at a lot of the enemies instead of using the sword. The analog movement added in ALBW on 3DS felt a million times better than being locked to the cardinal directions on the SNES.

Limiting the item equipment slots means more time pausing and less opportunity to do multiple things at once. In OOT you can stun an enemy with the Deku Nut then immediately follow up with a different item. I just find the 2D gameplay from both a combat and dungeon design perspective to be more limited compared to 3D.

/shrug have literally never had a problem hitting enemies in LTTP. It's so contrary to my experience with any 2D zelda, that I don't know what to say. Meanwhile, the very act of moving aiming, and attacking all while battling a camera I can't control is just...yeah, hard to go back to. I'm in a playthrough right now in the water temple, and it's ridiculously annoying trying to navigate anything while the camera wants to hover above me or hug walls.

I appreciate what OoT did, but, for me, it's aged terribly and is terribly unfun to play in 2020.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
LttP is fun, but it also kind of ruined the series for the next 15 entries by being unnecessarily linear for no real reason other than to have the totally substance-less Maiden cutscenes play in the right order.

It was only ALBW and BotW that finally laid that bad habit to rest two decades later. Ocarina of Time had no such negative effect on my favorite series, so I'll go with it.

LttP was also before Zelda got truly quirky with Link's Awakening, so it feels a little dry and generic in comparison with the more lively worlds of the later entries.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Link to the Past, and I don't think it's particularly close. It's epic, doesn't outstay it's welcome, is fast-paced and there's always something to discover or achieve nearby. The story is told with minimal detail but the sense of oppression at that start, with an urgent rescue mission and the guards already against you but the villagers still friendly, really sets things up. OOT takes a while to get going, and suffers as an early example of the bloat of empty game worlds in 3D, as you ride across Hyrule Field for this quest or that for the umpteenth time as you fight the camera whether you are inside or outside. It's still a great game, and they are both templates for a reason, but I'll always consider LTTP a masterpiece when it was released and still one now. It's highly playable, the controls take seconds to get to grips with, it's aged really well and looks and sounds great. OOT needed a remake, in that when I went back to play the N64 version a decade later, it really hadn't aged that well in comparison.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
ALTTP is better looking and smoother playing, but it also feels rather simplistic. Going back I was really surprised to realize there weren't actually much of anything in the way of puzzles, even in the dungeons; everything is really just straight combat and obstacle gauntlets. The space of possible interactions in OoT just feels much richer and varied.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love them both, but it's LttP for me. I was blown away by OoT just like everyone else, but a little piece of me felt like it was just a bit... empty. And a bit clunky. Not much, and the presentation made up for it, but b comparison LttP was so tight and full of little secrets.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
LTTP has the benefit of establishing a structural blueprint and aging well just by being a 2D game, but OOT has the advantage of spectacle, a more concrete story, being an early-enough 3D game that it still outshone so much of what else was available at the time, and has all the charm and personality that the series didn't really start flirting with until Link's Awakening.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Link to the Past for me.

OoT was revolutionary for its time, but I overall enjoyed LttP much more.

I hope they someday remake the game with an improved Link's Awakening HD engine.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Link to the Past is really mediocre in 2020, while Ocarina of Time is just now showing its age in a few areas. Even back in the 90s, I was never a huge fan of LTTP and didn't even complete a full play through until this year. Everything feels so generic in LTTP, and the narrative just uninteresting even compared to other games of its time. Was not a fan of the Dark World mechanic. The weapons/equipment were pretty cool, with my favorite being the hookshot.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Definitely A Link to the Past for me. I still enjoy playing through it fully relatively often. Ocarina is wonderful too obviously.

With the exception of Twilight Princess I've really enjoyed every Zelda game Ive played though; I'm pretty found of loads of them.

J.Gusto

Oct 25, 2017
Binghamton, NY
Ocarina of Time is the best 3D Legend Of Zelda game hands down.

While Link to The Past is very good, it's not the best 2D Legend of Zelda game. It's Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
LTTP has the benefit of establishing a structural blueprint and aging well just by being a 2D game, but OOT has the advantage of spectacle, a more concrete story, being an early-enough 3D game that it still outshone so much of what else was available at the time, and has all the charm and personality that the series didn't really start flirting with until Link's Awakening.

Well said!

Oct 25, 2017
ALttP, mainly because of where I was in life when it came out, and having some incredible feelings of nostalgia for the game. Still adore OoT though.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Easily A Link to the Past for me. I still hope that they someday grace us with a 3D remake of it...

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
LttP is fun, but it also kind of ruined the series for the next 15 entries by being unnecessarily linear for no real reason other than to have the totally substance-less Maiden cutscenes play in the right order.

It was only ALBW and BotW that finally laid that bad habit to rest two decades later. Ocarina of Time had no such negative effect on my favorite series, so I'll go with it.

LttP was also before Zelda got truly quirky with Link's Awakening, so it feels a little dry and generic in comparison with the more lively worlds of the later entries.

Was LTTP really that linear? I know the light world is, but once you get to the dark world, other that the game telling you an order of dungeons, you don't actually have to beat them in that order. Even as a kid I beat them out of order on my first playthrough.

I do agree that after LTTP, the series did change in theme a bit with its quirkiness.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's incredible how OoT had that new experience wow factor, despite essentially being a fairly straight 3D translation of ALttP. Kinda demonstrates how perfect Zelda is for 3D, I think.

Personally, there are two things that really elevate OoT over ALttP for me: the increased amount of towns/non-hostile areas, and the dungeons. The first one is important for pacing; I don't like how in nearly every screen in ALttP, you have to worry about staying alive. Even if it's not very difficult most of the time, it results in a lot less variation in how I feel while playing the game. I like those breaks that Kakariko Village, Lon Lon Ranch, Goron City, etc. provide. The NPCs aren't stellar, but they don't need to be; they just provide a warm, cozy feel to the area, most of which still have some secrets to reward leisurely exploring. As for the dungeons, the way Aonuma took the light navigational puzzling from ALttP and just expanded on it was such a natural fit for the 3D environments. The direction of dungeons such as the Water Temple is really what I think Zelda dungeons should be about, and the N64 dungeons in general are largely unmatched (Skyward Sword brought some of that puzzle box feel back, and the Divine Beasts had their moments, even if brief).

I do have 2D and 3D games that I prefer over these titles, though both are solid.

Also, why has no one made a better LttP? Link's Awakening & Link Between Worlds are both good, but neither one of them is a big step up from LttP like LttP was compared to the original Zelda. it's been nearly 3 decades.
Nintendo largely stopped developing single-player 2D Zelda games after OoT. There's the DS games, which had the weird transportation thing going on, and ALBW, which prevented itself from separating itself too far from ALttP by design. Everything else was made by Capcom (who I imagine may not have felt comfortable trying expand much on what a Zelda game could be) or was multiplayer focused.
Side note: For years I heard folks complain about the water temple, and that turned out to be the best part. That dungeon definitely surpassed what they were able to do with 2D by being all about memorizing how a physical space keeps changing.
I always love seeing posts like this. 3D navigational puzzling is my favorite aspect of Zelda dungeons, and the Water Temple is one of the best at it.
Oh, yeah. Pushing blocks slowly, lighting torches and shooting eyes above doors? That's the good stuff ;)
This is essentially what I think of ALttP's dungeon puzzles. The game was more focused on combat, but combat isn't why I like Zelda.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Ahh that's hard, because they're both of my 2 favs of all time , but i'll choose Oot.
I felt like that game was soo much ahead of everything when it first came out.It was like unlike anything i've played in 3d at that time. I really enjoyed exploring the world,puzzles and dungeons.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I always love seeing posts like this. 3D navigational puzzling is my favorite aspect of Zelda dungeons, and the Water Temple is one of the best at it.

Absolutely; puzzles which require an awareness beyond the current room are always more interesting. Water Temple has a couple of nice red herrings thrown in too. A real classic. I appreciate the 3DS versions improvement to equipping Iron Boots but the guide lines on the walls were a bit much.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna stan OOT till the day I die, but its not like ALTTP is that much worse. Then again, I played OOT first so my perspective is different than most.