• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you leave butter at room temp?

• Yes

Votes: 166 34.9%
  • No, it stays in fridge.

Votes: 309 65.1%

• Total voters

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
Stick butter, not spreads.

I like a nice soft butter on my fresh Italian bread.

My wife hates soft butter and prefers to ruin her fresh bread while trying to spread rock hard butter.

You?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i put it in the fridge and let it sit out if i want soft butter ahead of time

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i like sinking my teeth into the bar of butter rather than kinda just mushing through it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I hate warm butter, but also hate hard butter, so I am basically forced to use spreadable butters and margarine that retain both temperature and consistency qualities I prefer. This is the compromise afforded to me.

When I do use stick butter, it's usually just to melt in to a pan or for baking. Or for an on-the-go snack where I just eat the whole stick anyway.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
It didn't click with me until a few years ago that you could leave it out. I'd seen it on TV and in movies before with that little butter dish but it wasn't until I actually met someone that did it did I begin to understand that I too could have spreadable butter on demand.

For now it stays in the fridge.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, it stays in the fridge. We don't really use butter as an additive to already cooked foods, but usually we use it for cooking, so we don't leave it out.

My parents leave their butter out most of the time though... at least on Weekends. So when I go over there I get to enjoy wonderful room temp/soft butter.

If I expect to use butter, I'll usually leave it out for an hour or two to soften it.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I like to use Lurpak Spreadable, from the fridge. My partner likes to use what she calls 'proper' butter, which she keeps in a butter container on the work top. As a loser, this is a huge issue for me and I wish she would adopt my clutter-free, refridgerated spreadable way of life.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
how the fuck does one hate soft butter

We leave it in the fridge because I assume it wont be "good" nearly as long is you leave it out. But Yeah, when it comes to eating, soft butter is obviously preferable

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nah it stays in the fridge.

The only time it's ever an issue is if you're trying to spread it on something like bread that isn't toasted. If that's the case just shave off a few slices of butter and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, if you take thin slices it warms up real fast and will be spreadable quick.

For everything else the heat of what it's going on will instantly make it spreadable.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
One stick out in a butter dish for spreading fresh, one in the fridge for when I need to cut off a more precise amount for a recipe.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Stick butter, not spreads.

I like a nice soft butter on my fresh Italian bread.

My wife hates soft butter and prefers to ruin her fresh bread while trying to spread rock hard butter.

You?
Only savages like to ruin there fresh bread trying to spread cold butter. What heathens would bring that upon the dough

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Fridge. If i want softer butter, i just put it a few seconds in the microwave and voilà.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i like sinking my teeth into the bar of butter rather than kinda just mushing through it.
PwxHfBb.jpg

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
usually this is an american vs european thing but now that it's european vs european it's interesting

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly as long as everyone is using butter and not marge *vomit* then I don't care where you keep it

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
We leave one stick of salted butter out in a covered dish. We leave the unsalted butter (and the rest of the salted until needed) in the fridge. Salted is pretty much only used to butter breads, and the unsalted is for cooking. I've only seen the salted butter go off once in the years of leaving it out, when we had a heat wave.

If I remember my childhood correctly, margarine is more spreadable straight from the fridge than butter is. Unless you're fridge is like 45 degrees plus, cold butter is really hard.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
We also use a butter crock with a little water at the bottom to seal it. Butter stays at room temperature, but isn't exposed to the air or dust. Works great. You don't keep olive oil in the fridge, and you don't have to keep butter in the fridge, either.
butter-bell-butter-keeper.jpg

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't eat nearly enough butter to justify having any quantity of it out of the fridge at all times. If I need softened butter, I either take out what I need beforehand or microwave it for a few seconds. Something like clarified butter would be a different story.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
I keep the butter out and have literally never had it go bad. And this is in a house kept at 78 degrees F most of the time.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Always leave it out. Microwaving to heat it never works for me, part of it will always liquify which is a waste and the rest doesn't get soft enough anyway.

of course. don't leave it out for more than a week. i cut the bars in half and put the other half in the fridge.

Butter doesn't spoil if left out more than a week. I've had butter out for a month and it's fine.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Tub butter for spreading. Stick butter for cooking.

Both stay in the fridge. Stick because I want it rock hard for a range of reasons. But primarily because it makes it easier to cut and measure. Tub butter so it keeps longer (probably) and because I am generally spreading that on warm stuff that will carry it over the rest of the way anyway.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Always leave it out. Microwaving to heat it never works for me, part of it will always liquify which is a waste and the rest doesn't get soft enough anyway.

Butter doesn't spoil if left out more than a week. I've had butter out for a month and it's fine.
Same just leave it out and whenever you want some toast your gucci😤

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the type of butter!

Salted: No problem leaving in a covered dish at room temp

Unsalted: Leave in the fridge.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Leave it out. When summer hits though it can get too soft and go off quickly so we'll switch to spreadable butter from the fridge

I think fridge makers need more temperature zones. We need a 'larder' section for butter/chocolate to stop it melting but also stop it being rock hard

I wonder if you could buy a mini fridge and set the temperature dial high to achieve the same thing?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
you weirdos

put it back in the fridge and stop the nonsense

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Depends on what butter I have at that time. If it's cheap crap or spreadable it goes in the fridge. If it's not then it's left out in butter cover thing I have.