• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you leave work on time?

• Yes, always

Votes: 177 32.7%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 213 39.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 73 13.5%
  • Rarely

Votes: 62 11.5%
  • No, never

Votes: 16 3.0%

• Total voters

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
always, even if I come in 2 hours "late" I always leave at 4pm.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
On a day to day basis, usually. Sometimes I'll stick around later if I have a lot to do or I'm in the middle of something, but once I got my 80 hours for the pay period, I'm done and will either leave early or use the extra time for appointments.

Past that, I need to be approved for extended work hours. I've rarely worked over my 80, and that was usually due to outages or system upgrades, and I always got paid for the extra time.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Only time I ever stay back is if I'm still on a call, once it's over them I'm out the door. Sometimes people say it might not look good, but I counter that by saying "pay me more than minimum wage" then they stfu.

UK btw.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I have to. We have hand scanners to punch in and out and you have to have authorization to scan out early or late. There is a 15 min grace period for signing out late or in early.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
I sometimes have to stay late but get paid overtime for it. I would never work at a job where I'm not being paid for additional time worked.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I don't clock watch so it's not like I leave exactly on the dot, but sure I leave on time. I took a position with a longer commute and a healthy work/life balance is very important to me.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Always leave on time. my train home is limited and if I miss my regular train it doubles the length of my commute home.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I am habitually late. Always. Doesnt matter what I do, I'm always 2-4 minutes late every day.

No one cares, however, because I always stay double the time to make it up. But since I work in food, sometimes I'll get cut like 5 minutes early.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Most of the time. Given the nature of my job it's not always possible. Sometimes I leave on time but then receive a call and work from home a bit.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
someone has to authorize overtime for any time over, and they do not want to do this, so i'm out on time.
i ran out of work once in over ten years. we all took screenshots of our completely clear assignment board.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flexible schedule, I kind of roll in and roll out as needed depending on the day. Some days I'm in during lunch and out before 4, others I'm taking meetings at 8 and don't head home until 7.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am a paid hourly contractor at the same company where I was a salaried employee for almost 8 years.
No doubt whatsoever I leave exactly on time every single day.
Ironically at one point in time as an employee one of my many responsibilities was keeping track of the contractors on my team and making sure they were charging us for the exact hours they worked.
So yeah. I work exactly what they pay me for hourly. No less and no more.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
If I stay late I leave early the next day, or when I can. If I build up 8 hours or whatever of late staying I'll take a paid day off(without using PTO, etc)

I don't play.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a hard start time.

But I also don't have a hard end time. So I just show up between 8:30 - 10:00 depending on the day.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
I have been salary for a little over a decade and have not worked an hourly position since. At first, rarely did I leave on time.

After about 2-3 years of leaving 15 minutes late here and 20 minutes late there I am relatively on point at leaving right on time and have stuck to that for the better part of this decade. I've made my own schedule for the majority of that time too so there's that.

Don't get paid extra and these corporations don't give a shit about us so if the work requires more time; hire more people or adjust your time tables. Simple.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I work for myself, but when I worked at an office I arrived at 8:58am and was out the door at 5:01pm at the latest. If a company asked me to work more than 15 minutes extra I would expect to be paid for it.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
95% of the time I leave on time but the 5% I need to stay a few minutes extra. There is only once or twice a year where I stay late and If I do a good job during those times I don't have to stay late.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Varies a lot for me, I really like what I do and I usually try and finish up what I'm doing before I leave for the day. Sometimes that means 10 minutes of extra work, sometimes 1-2 hours.

But any overtime is collected to a flex pool and then I usually take half of a Friday off or something instead to even it out.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I come in about 15 minutes early and will always try to clock out on time. However if I do stay longer it's usually only about 5-10 minutes. Good thing is I get paid OT for it.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Nope, learnt my lesson long ago. It doesn't swing both ways, so I'm not putting in any extra effort for my employers benefit.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in charge so i can't. :/

Depending on finalizing paperwork, last second stuff or waiting for another site manager to relieve me, I usually end up going over by half an hour or so on average. I haven't worked just 40 hours in years...

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Most of the time.

Earlier if I can control it.

I'm salaried so I get paid more per hour the less I work.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a teacher so my workload varies a lot and I often stay a lot longer. But I do get those nice long breaks though, so that's good and totally worth it to have almost 2 months off in summer.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
My work schedules me for the busy period of my day where I can't just walk away so I always end up working like an extra 15 or 20 minutes, but then they yell at me if I have OT. It's a catch 22 for sure.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I work when I work, and I often think about work when I don't work. I love what I do so it's no bother to me. My wife is invested in what I do for work so she talks to me about my work too.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Japanese work culture is the reason I don't want to live/work there despite loving the idea otherwise. 9-5 is my religion!

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any time requirements other than a set timetable of contact hours. Beyond that, how much time I spend working (be that at work or at home) is up to me and can vary wildly. Some days I feel I've done my prep work for the following day at 2-3 in the afternoon, and some days, I don't go home until after 8.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I try to get in early and leave early to avoid traffic, but things usually happen towards the end of the day...and if something serious happens I'm expected to stay online until it's resolved or I'm rotated out.

Although in other jobs I've usually always been happy to stay until the work gets done.

Really depends on the job though, if it can be done tomorrow, then sure I'll leave on time or early.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I'm known for putting in OT and working my ass off to get things done despite being on salary. I got a heart attack out of it this year from all that unpaid labor. Never again.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Unless I have something pressing on my desk or I'm in the middle of a call, no. If I could remember them specifically, I've probably stayed over (like, more than 1-2 minutes) less than 10 times at my current job after almost 6 months on it.

It helps that my boss has an awkward commute so she works basically 7-3, and I work 8:15-4:15 (though usually get in 5-10 minutes early), so the one person who can most hold me to task is already long gone by the time quitting time rolls around.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm contracted to work 40 hour a week but i can work more/less if i want to. I can come and go anytime i want. But at the end of august i must have between -20 to +40 hours in total or i will lose pay or excess hours, if total worked ours is more than +40.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
I try to leave on time but as I do 95% of the hedging at the place I work, if there are a lot of fixations in the day that generally means I haven't had much time to do the admin shit that makes my life easier so I will occasionally be around after my normal finish time. Same if its just a generally busy period and others need helping in the office.

It all very dependant on how things are flowing really, I have definitely had some long months overs the years I have worked but I do get paid pretty well and the busy years are often followed by a decent yearly bonus so I can't complain, on average though I wouldn't spend any more than 10 hours extra in total over a month I reckon.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Every single night. We aren't allowed to stay late or leave early.

I mean we quit working 20-30 minutes early every night be we just have to stand/sit around waiting for the bell.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
On the off occasion I leave slightly late due to misjudgement of time on my part but the bosses generally expect everyone to be back 10 minutes before home time and ready to leave. When there is overtime you will get a heads up. It's quite nice that they don't take advantage of people to put in more hours.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time I leave on time but I also work on the train on the way home and answer emails all night when necessary.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Our office hours are 9 to 5:30. On regular days I usually leave between 6:30 and 7. When we're slammed usually 7:30-8. I'm a writer, so if I have a lot of meetings during the day, my time gets stretched. I also do a lot of work at home and on the weekends when the project calls for it. Good salary and benefits though, so I don't complain (much).