• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you leave work on time?

• Yes, always

Votes: 177 32.7%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 213 39.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 73 13.5%
  • Rarely

Votes: 62 11.5%
  • No, never

Votes: 16 3.0%

• Total voters

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I have to be working between 10am to midday and 2pm-4pm, outside of that it's up to me when to do the rest of my hours. So yes. Love flexitime.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I work in retail, rarely leave on time, and it's even worse if i work on the register, gotta balance my money and make sure I am not short, yesterday the person replacing me was late, i left work 42mins after i was supposed to clock out...if i am not on register usually clock out 10mins after shift ends..

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
You will hardly find me at my workplace after 4:05 PM.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time, but I get paid for overtime so no big deal if I do have to stay late.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stay longer if I need to in order to get my work done. That's the main thing, if you're getting your work done then my company is relatively lax about hours as long as you're not being egregious about it.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yup. Hell, I leave a few minutes early a lot of the time to catch my bus since not leaving a couple minutes early to catch it means waiting another 20-30 minutes for the next one. As long as my shit gets done my boss doesn't really care.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can't remember the last time I didn't leave early. I basically stop taking on new, non-emergency projects at 4pm so I can wrap up whatever I need to get done before I leave. I'm sorry that you waited until the end of the work day to email me about needing some arbitrary data, Karen. It'll wait until tomorrow. Leaving 15 minutes early is the difference between getting home at 5:30 or 6:30.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
FLEXTIME BABY

tenor.gif

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
As a teacher it's different. We're technically supposed to be there 15 minutes before class starts and 15 minutes after. I stay for at least an hour to an hour and a half to get my stuff done though. Then often take it home once in awhile to wrap up. No overtime of course. I don't even run after school activities like some teachers. I try to do activities during lunch.

During the school year, we're busy but the time off is definitely worth it. And needed.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where I work currently, everyone sort of just gets here and leaves whenever the fuck they like, including myself. Not like it matters if I'm there or not though.

Last edited:

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Always, I'm always the first person in the elevator leaving that work place; and my current manager always laughes at it. She tells me I don't lose my time, but she is the kind of person who respects that despite she being one of the co-workers that puts the most amount of overtime at my work. So I'm grateful.

Meanwhile, my previous manager was a bit of a jackass in that regard. The dude made a contest for his group for the amount of overtime put, saying something like " This week I expect every single person in this group to have minimum of 2 hours of overtime, I know you can do it for this contest". Guess who was the only who ended up with 0 overtime hours? I myself. I told him directly that my time is precious and that i don't do overtime.

ZAKU-RED

Oct 27, 2017
I work the 3-11 PM Shift as a Custodian for one of the middle school's here and we aren't allowed to stay a minute after 11 working even if we still have a classroom/gym etc that still needs to be done.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I don't like stopping things In the middle so I'll usually stay long enough to finish what I'm working on. That might take an hour or two. So I work later than others a decent amount. That being said I often arrive at work late and nobody seems to care so it all works out.

Oct 27, 2017
Like clockwork. There is occasional overtime to do and it's completely voluntarily. But I just don't need the extra money and I really value my free private time

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I manage people so I make a point of trying to get out on time. Too many managers before me set an example that you have to work 12 hours a day to succeed. It's a bad message, especially if it's just face time. If there's work that needs to be done, of course I make sure it gets done. But face time just to do face time is dumb.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
99.9% of the time, yes. Latest I've ever stayed was maybe 10 minutes because I was on the phone with the lady who had way too much information to share. But that was partially my fault for scheduling the phone conference 30 minutes before I got off work.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I work 9-6, I always try to leave early, 5:15 onwards is fair game, and (mostly) no one complains since I do my job and keep working late from home. Usually end up leaving later since I have so many meetings though.
I do have a calendar event every weekday at 5:50 called "PEACE OUT" to remind me of the time

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not hourly, so "on time" is kind of nebulous. I do leave early enough to be able to pick up my kids from the on-site daycare, though, which does have set hours.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
Almost always out the door within fifteen minutes of the end of core hours. I usually get in thirty minutes early which is a great time to prepare for the rest of the day. I do take work home a lot as I love what I do. I find that even thirty minutes can fix a bug, help point someone in the right direction or just in general make something or someone work better.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I finish at 5PM and usually get out between 5 and 5.30. I do work at a school though and pickup time is 5 so working 15 minutes later tends to make it easier to get out anyway.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Always.

You better have a good fucking reason if you want me to stay longer. I have a train to catch to go back home and i have no intention of taking another one.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time I didn't leave early. I basically stop taking on new, non-emergency projects at 4pm so I can wrap up whatever I need to get done before I leave. I'm sorry that you waited until the end of the work day to email me about needing some arbitrary data, Karen. It'll wait until tomorrow. Leaving 15 minutes early is the difference between getting home at 5:30 or 6:30.

This is me to a T. We have frequent afternoon meetings, so my excuse to the contractor we use is always "didn't see it, was in a meeting." Because exactly as you say, they should've communicated with me way earlier if they wanted me to switch tracks on a task.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I take OT whenever I can get it, usually a few hours a week. I work from home, so OT is easy money.

I don't work for free.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Hell no.

My contract says I work from 7:30-4:00, but being a teacher (and a first year one at that) I'm usually out of the building at 5:30 or 6:00 because there's always something that needs to be done or caught up on, be it grades, lesson plans, meetings with parents, IEP meetings, admin meetings, preparation for the next day, etc...

At the same time, I'm salary and not hourly, so what my contract says my working hours are is a bit irrelevant.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I do - I want to see and spend time with my daughter before bedtime.

I can always log back in & catch up at night from home.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When my bosses let me. Show up on time or a few minutes early, leave on time, never early (unless told by a manager; like when labor was too high). It's honestly infuriating when I get stuck for another thirty minutes, even, but I've been stuck for ninety before. Y'all made the schedule, let me operate off of the freaking schedule.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
A lot of people in my generation did it wrong. We worked harder, not smarter, and have the psychological and physical lumps to prove it.

I work(ed) in the creative industry where times are a suggestion and OT was frowned upon. Personally, working past the time most people had already left was regular practice. Either to get a jump on some future thing or fine tune a current project. Try to be the first one in, last to leave. ...

Foolishness of that sort.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I work from home 100% of the time, start work at 5 a.m., take an hour-long lunch break, and when the clock hits 2 p.m., I turn off my computer and peace-out for the day.

No exceptions.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work my own hours, so this doesn't really apply to me. I guess i try to keep a 9-5 scheduled but I sometimes come in closer to 10:30 and sometimes leave early.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I work from home and my work laptop and personal computer are next to each other. I usually transition to personal tasks on time if not a little earlier, but I'm aware of incoming work emails several hours past quitting time.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time yes. Some days I leave fairly late. Some days I leave fairly early. Some days I take off without consuming vacation days cause my Manager and Skip Manager are pretty good about comping time when I've spent countless hours on getting a project done on time even when caught off guard by random obstacles.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course I do. I don't give them any single second of my time. My time is my most precious asset to give away for free.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Most of the time but some projects I work on carry me over a few minutes. You work to live not live to work.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Blessedly always at my new job, my last job was a nightmare of having my hours rounded down while still being asked to do one more little thing like 3 or 4 times as i try to leave such that I would routinely end up being around an extra 40 unpaid minutes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i go by a "how much 'work' did i really put in today?" rule of thumb. if i did what i needed to do and then some i'll knock off early (like 5-20 mins, nothing crazy). nobody says shit but i know that wouldn't fly in some other workplaces