• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you know what 'telefraging' is?

• Yes

Votes: 1,159 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 612 34.6%

• Total voters

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I know what it is, but just the term frag would be suitable for this thread. When's the last time you saw someone use that?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Of course.

Did it all the time to my friend (and him to me) unintentionally. Doom was good for this.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
This is sort of what I want to know though. What zoomer would know about arena shooters? They're not exactly popular right now.
More than you'd think, I'd imagine, at least among those who consider themselves "hardcore" gamers
I mostly meant it the other way around, though: you can be "old" and have no idea what a telefrag is due to being console only or not being into arena shooters, as seen by the "old" people in this thread who don't know what it means.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get a mod to change it? I'm sorry.
Lol, I'm not "angry" or anything. I did have to re-read it though and go "Oh!" when I saw the thread title (I just woke up... dammit it's just after midnight and I should go back to sleep... after I do some work in Animal Crossing first.).

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
How-dare-you-GIF_2.gif
200.gif

This is sort of what I want to know though. What zoomer would know about arena shooters? They're not exactly popular right now.
That's the "problem", I know Arena Shooters, I've played it before, but it's a genre that isn't so popular nowadays (or dead, if you want to be less subtle).

OP
OP
Heart of Poumn
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I'm not "angry" or anything. I did have to re-read it though and go "Oh!" when I saw the thread title (I just woke up... dammit it's just after midnight and I should go back to sleep... after I do some work in Animal Crossing first.).

Hah! I didn't see you as angry, but is is a little embarrassing for me.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
we used to have a teleporter tool that could be weaponized if you tossed it underneath an enemy, or if you planted it by a weapon and waited for someone to walk over it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Trying to think when the last time this was relevant, I think Team Fortress 2?
Related question: When you see "TF2" in print, do you think of Team Fortress or Titanfall? Even though most of the time ppl are talking about Titanfall, I can't help but be confused for a few seconds first.

Oct 27, 2017
I know of it, from Halo of all places.

But we even brought it to World of Warcraft, via a different method. We would perch on a floating island in Hellfire Peninsula and position a warlock portal in such a way that any unsuspecting player would immediately plummet to their death. We killed so many people.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Definitely was familiar with the term fragging, but I honestly didn't know it with this tele- prefix. Was it when you teleported in or something? Never was a big fan of competitive shooters.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just got this ability today in Supraland called force cube telefragging and just learn of its description.

And now I'm seeing a thread about it.

Baader-Meinhof phenomenon at it again.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The people confused about this just tells me we need more games with teleportation. Bring back translocators for everyone!

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
I wouldn't really say that age is the biggest factor in whether or not someone knows what telefragging is. Honestly, I think the biggest factor is whether or not you grew up playing or generally being interested in arena shooters and other PC oriented games still at this point. I would say age will become the primary factor in online communities/forums in about 5 or so more years.

And yes, of course I do. UT 99 is my favorite multiplayer game of all time and I would honestly be failing my arena shooter brethren if I didn't.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I taught my oldest son how to telefrag on Quake 3 and UT back in the day. He used to think they were so funny. I could set him up to play, and then go into the other room to get some work done or whatever, and you could hear him giggling like a hyena every time he scored one.

He was also a headshot monster in UT.

I wonder if he would still play them today...