• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Of course I know, I have a pet bird. They sleep like this.
PVA2A8t.jpg

Chiquis with my mom.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course they do. Even fish sleep.
I mean fish have the weird eyes open sleep thing to keep alert.

How Do Fish Sleep?

Unlike humans and several other mammals who settle in for a cozy night of rest, most of them remain in motion and don't close their eyes.

Actually, they can't close their eyes because they lack eyelids.

Some species continue to float along and will occasionally move a fin to keep oxygen flowing into their gills. These subtle movements are also meant to help them stay balanced.

However, in general, their movements are often slower, and many times they'll drift down toward the bottom of the surface rather than swimming at their normal elevation.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I see the ducks napping all the time at the pond next to my place. They stick their heads in their feathers.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
You've never even seen a picture of a bird with their head tucked under their wing? It's so cute.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
I was in Costa Rica and went on a guided night hike. At the end the guide showed a sleeping hummingbird. To this day i don't know if it was real, or a dead stuffed bird glued to a branch.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I remember that birds sleep because some class I had one mentioned that bird sleep mechanisms appear unrelated to mammalian ones, implying that sleep is something that has evolved twice and must be super critical to brain function above a certain level, even if we have no idea why.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was surprised to see my pet fish sleep as an adult :(
but then i was like... "of course they do". and felt silly afterward.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sure. Don't they? I thought that's why people put a little blanket, or whatever, over their cage, because they think if it's dark, it's night, and they sleep. Am I wrong about this?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
When you stay up to 4 in the morning you suddenly hear birds turn on which indicates they are sleeping at some point I would think.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
There are like 500 geese at my work that are aways sleeping.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I used to live in a wooded area closely surrounded by trees on 3 sides. Sunrise was the startup for a chirping apocalypse. If it was hot out and I left the window open, the noise would wake me every time. I would scream, STFU!, everything would go quiet for a few seconds, then they'd start up again.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Go to a zoo, you'll quickly learn that all animals sleep pretty much 24/7*

*when caged and deprived of mental stimulation :(

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
lol of course they sleep. Now I've owned birds, but still I don't understand why birds being awake 24/7 was a thought to begin with.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
They literally have the same sleeping pattern as humans. Hence the birds chirping and roosters crowing in the morning. It's like the most well known feature of birds.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
We had parrots growing up and yes they sleep all the time. They use their backs as a pillow.