• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My mom thinks that if you put the avocado core in a glass of water somehow the avocado stays ripe and doesnt spoil.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
My mum believes in psychics and I don't have the heart to argue with her because it comforts her over the loss of her own mum a few years ago. I just politely humour her then move the conversation somewhere else.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fiance believes in ghosts.

Sister's in-laws believe in ancient aliens.

Coworker believes that no diseases are real, that it's just a matter of the mind confusing you and if you have enough willpower you can overcome it.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
"If you take high amounts of vitamin C, it will literally destroy cancer!"

Oh yeah?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QoqOby7.gif

oZbcP9O.png

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At a friend of one of my son's birthday my wife and I were attending, a very nice lady, sharply dressed and seemingly very articulate, started talking to my wife about the weather problems and weird patterns we were having.

I move in, thinking we're going to have a great conversation about climate change, human impact, polution, EPA gutting, de-regulation, environment and the likes.

Nope.

She wants to tell us all about Chemtrails and the government controlling/ changing the weather, and possibly our minds.

I could only think "Fuck Me" at that point.

My wife having never heard of that thought it was totally serious, so I had to explain to her the BS of it all later on.

At some point, the lady saw how I was looking at her, and asked me what I thought. I was as diplomat as possible, but it was clear what I thought of the whole chemtrail thing.
She then promptly moved to another group after a polite retreat, and I could hear later she was again preaching the gospel of chemtrails.

At a kid's birthday party (in an indoor inflatables jump zone type party).

What the Hell.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of the organic label is that they don't or aren't supposed to.
That's not accurate, and I say this as someone who has been working in the food industry and with the USDA on organic labeling.
Organic is a labeling term that indicates that the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods.
https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/organic-standards

There are plenty of chemicals and pesticides that are permitted to be used. Here is just a small list of allowed synthetic substances:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...v8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.2&idno=7

Sometimes pesticides and herbicides are even used as much as 10x the amount of the non-organic approved ones due to their poor eficacy:

It turns out that a key factor in chemicals being cleared for use on organic crops is whether they occur naturally. Spinosad, for example, comes from the soil bacterium Saccharopolyspora spinosa. It can fatally scramble the nervous systems of insects. It's also poisonous to mollusks.

Are naturally derived pesticides less toxic than synthetic ones? The answer depends a lot on the dosage, says Gillman. "To control fire blight on the same acre of land," he explains, "I could use a tiny amount of a potent synthetic that has proved safe over the last 50 years, or a much larger amount of an organic pesticide." He demurs on saying which is better, saying, "I want people to know that there are definitely tradeoffs."

In the USDA tests, there was ten times as much spinosad on organic lettuce than was found on conventionally cultivated fruits and vegetables.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2011/06/18/137249264/organic-pesticides-not-an-oxymoron

This is not to turn you off from Organic, but really I feel people are under the wrong impression as to why they are paying a premium.

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
My wife took me to one of these magic crystal stores. You walk in and it's tons of small pieces of rocks everywhere. Apparently all of them will heal you. I joked and said we must be getting an extra high dose of healing energy just standing in the store. Apparently they're like gift cards though-they don't work until activated at the register.

This would be a deal breaker for me. Hope she isn't wasting any money on this bullshit.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My housemate at uni was all into Reiki and claimed to be able to see people's Auras. He'd squint just over your left shoulder, make aha and um noises then give you a colour with some sort of meaning.

Surprise surprise his horrible girlfriend always had the most flattering colour. She was a complete bitch so it was hard to believe him.

I wonder if belief in auras originated with synesthesia. Like, I have a weird shitty version of synesthesia where numerals have colors (3 is lime green, 5 is red), but it's just the brain being wired kinda funny. But of course people didn't know that in ancient times, so they assigned some sort of meaning to it all, and that gets disseminated and twisted up enough that people buy into it on a spiritual basis.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My mother had a kick of this when I was younger. She bought Ozone generators for the house because some bullshit about how it makes you breath better. Fortunately we all got sick and she gave it up before we died.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta ask all you 100% medical sciences advocates, what if you are diagnosed of terminal cancer and modern medical science basically tells you that there isn't any workable solution anymore for you and you should just write your last will & testament, are you gonna just sit and home and wait for your turn because medical science told you so?

If this were my situation, I would try something else.

As for some of the other things you said about science vs universal truth, I think I can see what you are trying to say. I'm not sure if science has ever, will, or can proclaim universal truth. But they can come up with "scientific laws".

I'm no academic person, but the goal of science appears to be to find truth, preferably, absolute truth about this world that appears to have laws at play. When I was in school, they talked a little bit about the process of how untested observations/hypotheses/theories can go to experiments and finding evidence/support to possibly becoming scientific law (one of, if not the, highest of achievements in "truth searchiness" by scientific ways). I'm going to make up a ridiculous percentage here, but once something becomes scientific law, it is 99.99999999999999999999999999997% in such and such test cases/scenarios that an outcome is predictable/true. It sounds absurd, but if there is a 0.00000000000000000000000000003% chance where it could be false I'd hope for people to remain open to ideas that might challenge or question it (that was one other ideal standards I learned about science: the ability to refute). That's good that people can have backed statistics/discoveries as a starting point to find truth and quality of life (of humans at least) has improved because of the efforts of science (though I do hate to see negative effects that might result from this in some people like a deadened imagination or closed-mindedness).

So yes, the ideal is to stay open. We appear to be but fragments perceiving this world. If others are like me, we have difficulty processing the effect of one variable at a time much less infinite variables at play.

But science will follow its current trajectory and it seems to be a logical way: it must follow, further explore, and branch off from the currently understood (generally, "true looking") path to in order to find more truth (if A, then B?).

Maybe it would just be nicer if we just said "We don't have any data that supports that" rather than "that is absolutely false"?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite things about being diagnosed with cancer was getting unsolicited advice about 'alternative' cures.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Literally everyone in some shape or form.

It's part of our DNA. It's why we're actually capable of science to begin with: because our ancestors were wired to notice trends and adapt their behaviors based on those observations.

The difference, of course, is proper attribution of the cause of trends versus improper attribution, though for ancient humans they couldn't be picky. ("I get sick less when I drink alcohol" being attributed as "Alcohol is good for me" rather than attributed as "I should stop pooping in the water", for example.)

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
but academia is just that...academia......it's a framework and general guidelines and standards...but should not be constitute as some sort of universal truth and anything not in line with this truth, dismissed.

OT but relevant...the way i see so many posters from the west here openly dismissed china and have some sort of assumption that majority of chinese were suffering under the Communist rule currently just because the entire governance system and philosophy differs from the west.

I am not from china but i am a chinese. I ain't gonna speak for every chinese in the world but in general, chinese culture is a very pragmatic bunch. We value a 'full' stomach over freedom of speech...which may be incomprehensible with the western philosophy (with their 'give me liberty or give me death' rheterics). Even the Xinhai revolution of overthrowing the manchurian qing dynasty to setup a republic was build under the notion of 'empty stomach' (the Qing government am not taking care of the commoners and corrupt and led of suffering)..

so the idea of the west posters somehow attempt to tell the majority of the chinese people 'how to think and feel' about their government seems hilarious to me given about the lack of understand of historical and culture context..

Yes, the majority of the chinese people knew what's up with the government (lack of human rights, etc)...but as long as the government provides a reasonable tangible good life for the people, more of the chinese people will 'lead a blind eye'...if you will...Freedom be damn.....because freedom cannot cure hunger.

And lest anyone from the west asked...both things (quality of life & freedom) can co-exist...lest be known that, yes...the chinese knew about this. It's just that that placed quality of life (food, good comfort, etc) much more high up on the pedestal than some freedom of speech.

And back to the topic and how it relates...

We know what is medical sciences and we trust in it in some sense. But we cannot tell people how to feel towards any alternative solution that may differs from the 'orthodox' medical science...however illogical that pseudoscience is. They feel what they feel. If a supposed pseudoscience solution makes them 'feels better' while a supposed orthodox treatment does not, they will trust that pseudoscience. And all the harping and self-proclamation will not change anything.

omgcat.gif

So not a fan of people dismissing things that don't actually work well or at all as long as someone believes it works...is what you're saying?

I don't believe in ghosts, demons, alien visitors, crystals, oils that cure everything, horoscopes, blah blah blah blah...

However....I did once see something, with a friend in the vehicle with me that saw it too, that I'll never be able to explain. (shrug)

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People the believe things like panda fat, elephant ivory or lion toes having healing abilities piss me off.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
My Evangelical fundie-zealot parents believe in Creationism and the geocentric solar system model (although not flat earth, thank Lucifer). My bestie believes in dowsing. Drives me nuts.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
My Evangelical fundie-zealot parents believe in Creationism and the geocentric solar system model (although not flat earth, thank Lucifer). My bestie believes in dowsing. Drives me nuts.

Doesn't the Bible say that the first thing God created was the Sun?

That's not pseudoscience or even religious fanaticism, that's just blatant anti-intellectualism.

Earendil

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like essential oils. Not for their "healing" powers but for the smell. I hate candles but want my home to smell nice.

I'd estimate that 90% of essential oil people actually believe they fix things like cancer, sleep disorders, etc. Scary but that is all I see when I search for them.

I use a few and they actually help with my allergies. Not tremendously, but enough that it is noticeable. I use a few others for various things, but I'm not someone who thinks they cure cancer or anything.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
we should strive to know how to solve every problem that can be solved. science will guide us towards those solutions, not chunks of elements that look cool.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know plenty of people who believe in acupuncture and chiropractic, unfortunately. They are very mainstream/common beliefs in pseudo-science. If I ever dare to call it pseudoscience in such company I am the bad guy in the room for sure, so I usually keep my mouth shut. It annoys me though because beliefs in junk medicine can be dangerous.

I know one guy who believes in homeopathy. I once tried to debate him but he told me, quite categorically, that "it was proven to work". He's the sweetest old gentleman and I didn't want to fight with him, so I just shook my head and dropped it.

Not quite a pseudoscience but I know another guy, a brilliant engineer, who is a 9/11 truther. Blows my mind. One time he was giving me a ride home and the radio was playing, the host had some conspiracy theory debunker dude on, who was explaining all the fallacies in various conspiracy theories, from moon landing hoaxes to JFK to 9/11 and when the 9/11 talk came on he got real annoyed. I just basically sighed and went "oh boy here we go again" and that set him off and he tried to really argue with me, despite all my attempts to disengage. It was awkward as hell haha. Fortunately he dropped it once I got home and we parted on good terms, he didn't take it personally (and he's not that nutty that he believes in any CT, just 9/11 for some reason), but he feels reaaaal strongly about that one. SMH.

I've managed to talk a couple of people around, mostly by appealing to their wallets. Unfortunately, the fewer people that believe in homeopathy, the more potent it becomes.
lol

My grandma and aunt are very into alternative medicine. They just flat out don't trust hospitals and think they're corrupt as fuck.
But.. alt-med is also corrupt as fuck, greedy and untrustworthy. At least a corrupt hospital will still use proper evidence-based medicine... :\

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend believes a lot of pseudo science non-sense and sometimes it pisses me off.

Like: GMOs are bad, we should buy organics because pesticides will give you cancer, that 'natural' products are automatically better that normal product, that WiFi and waves are dangerous, that you have to take vitamins to stay healthy, etc.

I mean, she comes from a family where her parents are deep into this non-sense, so she's not 100% to blame. I try to make her understand and teach her critial thinking, but it can be exhausting sometimes.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly, but i know tons of people who have a really wonky understanding of how evolution works.

Also if it counts, in one of my previous jobs i knew someone who PRETENDED to believe in tarot reading, mostly because he was scamming people by charging them for reading their fortunes, when i bluntly asked him why he was scamming people, he argued he totally believed in that stuff (while quite the smooth talking con man, you could tell he didn't) and went on about spirituality and religion, when he brought up religion it was even more clear he was full of shit.

Why? Because he also was into some really nutty conspiracy shit, which made clear he didn't actually believe in god or mysticism, and he said stupid stuff like "The vatican has a secret treasure and is secretly the richest country in the world, and the pope at the time was the one who had JFK killed because he disrespected him on his USA visit".

Really.

And for that matter, in that same job we had a sales coach who spoke about his previous experience, at one point he was selling some catholic blessed medallions via telemarketing, and to "motivate us" he was telling us about his exploits, so he tell us about this grief stricken woman with a sick husband who asked him "will this medallion heal my husband?", while the sales coach didn't flat out say "yes, it will", he didn't say "no it won't" either and went on this speech about how the medallion would bringer peace of mind and ease the pain and other BS, this was supposed to be his inspiring triumph to us the new sales people, and i immediately told him "what the fuck man, lying to grieving people?! How do you sleep at night?!"

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE ASTROLOGY IT IS SO FUN AND COOL!

On the other hand, placebo effect is real, so.. what ya gonna do.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I know someone who believes in astrology.its unfathomable how someone can believe your birth date, stars, and your personality is somehow related.

Edit: Prax you are still awesome:)

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Oh, not sure this qualifies as pseudoscience, since my mother doesn't bother justifying her belief with any "studies" or outside sources of a purported scientific nature. But she--a chain smoker for 45-years--simply pronounces any and all claims that cigarettes are harmful for bodily health as mere propaganda and "fake news". -______-

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I know people who believe in astrology, reiki, garlic for warding off evil, homeopathy, that microwave ovens are dangerous, all sorts of things.

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite things about being diagnosed with cancer was getting unsolicited advice about 'alternative' cures.

When my cousin was diagnosed everyone and their uncle wanted to chime in with this cure and that cure. Made me so mad, no idea how she put up with it.

Hope you're all clear now!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Co workers question flu shots all the time. Yes its not always 100% effective but these people buy protectors for their phones but cant be arsed to take a free flu shot our employer provides

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Co workers question flu shots all the time. Yes its not always 100% effective but these people buy protectors for their phones but cant be arsed to take a free flu shot our employer provides
This one has driven me crazy. Especially because they were all people with scientific research backgrounds. They had masters and PhD s and I was having to argue with them about the efficacy of flu shots.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My mum. She believes in various homeopathic remedies and Old Wives Tales, scoffs at evolution, and just has a strange understanding of science.

For example, during this last hurricane season she was trying to convince me that the Solar Eclipse was having an effect on the intensity of the storms, you know because of the Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth.

Problem is she's very stubborn with her beliefs so me spending a good 20 min detailing why that is impossible didn't seem to get through.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Yeah, a bunch. Chiropractic, certain aspects of Traditional Chinese Medicine, essential oils (like rubbing lavender on your feet makes you more calm), etc.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Mom is thinks organic food is better for you somehow. I blame the internet.

My wife took me to one of these magic crystal stores. You walk in and it's tons of small pieces of rocks everywhere. Apparently all of them will heal you. I joked and said we must be getting an extra high dose of healing energy just standing in the store. Apparently they're like gift cards though-they don't work until activated at the register.

That's hilarious.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
All sorts of weirdness. Hollow earth, crystal healing powers, antivaxxers, cannabis oil curing cancer without thinking about Bob Marley for even a second, UFOs and aliens, secret antarctic ancient bases or nazi bases or something, sounds and harmony being some crazy conspiracy that will fix the world through what I can assume is maths and a spirograph set, the powers that be controlling the world and being above every national government but leaving easily noticeable triangles everywhere because that makes sense, lizard folk, aspartame is cancer... shit man, I know people into all this madness.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
My family has the usual stuff: organics and chiropractics mainly. As someone who has epilepsy, the amount of "natural remedies" I've been told to use have been astounding. THC oil is the big one because everyone saw the same short article and two minute video om Facebook. The second is just taking a lot of magnesium. Apparently if I take 1000 mg of magnesium a day, I'll never have a seizure again.

Shit's bonkers bullshit. Chiropractic neurology was a fun thing that my dad thought would help my mom with her (misdiagnosed, but believed to be true at the time) MS. For those who don't know, chiropractic neurology helps rebuild nerve beds via cold lasers. To clarify, it's just flashing blue laser lights at a person.

My dad really wants to help my mom and me because he can't do anything about our problems (which are permanent). It just ends up pissing us off and giving my mom constant false hopes. Of course my dad basically believes every conspiracy peddled by people like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, and Beck, so it's not even about helping anymore.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
When I woke up from coma, it wasnt god. It was medication, doctors and my own dedictation to stay alive. When my voice returned, well... I do believe it was the technique they showed me for recovery, but in the end it could have been time healing as well.

What I strongly believe in is placebo, sadly I am very sceptical of any kind strange promising therapy and not good at convincing myself. I'd really love to try for my migraine attacks tho.

When I was still a child I used to have ear infections regulary. My aunt even gave me a crystal for it. I still have the crystal (I like its color) but I honestly believe it'd have the same effect to cuddle with my childhood cuddle toy, although... the latter might calm me down more.

Half this forum with chiropractors lol
Have you never dislocated a bone? Like not being able to move your head to the left or right or something along those lines? Happens to me all the time. (My neck/back muscles are not really well developed I suppose.)

My last ENT visit about my hearing got me the answer "Your ear is not inflammed, but apparently something is wrong with the airing. Could it be that you slightly dislocated something lately? This must be the cause." Shrug.