• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• yes

Votes: 294 91.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 8.1%

• Total voters

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I have a friend that waits until we put in something new to begin babbling minutia about his day. Like, I get that you're more social than me and you just need people to talk to, but we agreed to watch this thing and I don't care about what you ate for dinner!
...he then turns into one of those asking about what's happening because he talked over it...I don't know man! I couldn't hear!

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I 100% do not mind people talking to me or reacting out loud during a movie as long as it's not too loud.

Making questions or asking to explain a scene or plot point when it might as well be explained by the movie itself one or two scenes later, that annoys me, because having to answer distracts me from the movie, I stop absorbing what I'm watching and have to process the conversation instead.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My friends and I do this all the time (never in theaters obvs). It's a fun aspect of watching a movie together. If we're very talkative at any point we can always pause the movie.

Nov 19, 2019
Why? Honest question.
If I'm being honest I'm not totally sure.

If I were forced to make a guess, it's probably grew up in a big family where there was sort of a low-level cacophony at all times. I'm kind of a talker in general, movies or no. Also: when I watch a movie with someone I'm almost more interested in what they're thinking and feeling than the movie itself?

I can say it's pretty easy to know if someone is ok with this very fast. When the answer is evidently a "no" I can hold it in for the duration of a piece of cinema.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i don't like talkers but i hate watching movies with people who are on their phone the whole time.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
One of my cousins is a big movie talker in theatres but I think that level of decorum usually isn't expected for a discord/rabb.it/cytube group watch with friends unless someone explicitly stated it was going to be serious. Though that said, a lot of my friends think they're way better at riffing than they really are

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point of watching movies with other people as a social experience if you're not allowed to talk during the movie. That's one of the reasons why I'm not big on going to movie theaters as a group cause no one should be talking in the theater.

If you wanna actually watch the movie without distraction, watch it alone.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
i don't like talkers but i hate watching movies with people who are on their phone the whole time.

Also my wife. It goes hand in hand. She's not paying attention and then either gets confused or wants to prove she has been following along.

Drives me fucking mad.

There's a ton of movies we can't watch because she just doesn't pay attention. Basically ant movie before 2000.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
My closest friend does sometimes. Not in a theater, (usually) but if we're in a group of friends watching a movie at someone's place, sometimes she just can't help but comment on things, especially if it's a movie she's already seen.

My mom knows better than to talk during movies at the theater, but for some reason she feels the need to comment out loud after every preview with some kind of "oh, that looks good!" or "ugh, pass!" kind of statement. It's really embarrassing. lol

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
My grade 7 students do... ugh!

Then they look at me like I am the weird one for thinking movies are designed to be watched in silence.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My girlfriend does this. Me putting on music is like her queue to start a new conversation. Sometimes I just want to listen to the music...

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I've never been around someone that I felt talked constantly. Sometimes the commentary adds to the experience. But I get people not wanting that

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
I know lots of people that do but I try to keep quiet for the most part. Depends on what the movie is though. My buddy and I recently watched Vivarium and didn't really like it, and about twenty minutes in we both looked at each other and said "we have to talk about this."

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Not to an excessive degree. Nearly everybody myself included, will sometimes make a comment though.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
A friend does it sometimes in the theater.

My wife does this at home, asking plot stuff and usually guessing twists.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even watch movies in silence when I'm watching them alone at home, let alone with company. I will often make quippy comments when watching movies with others, including in theaters (at a low volume, ofc)

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of banter during a film (at home) is fine. Otherwise I'd have just watched the movie alone.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
Even worse is when they keep asking questions about the plot over and over again.

Like... watch the movie and maybe you'll find out what happens!

This is frustrating as hell. Every single time my girlfriend and I watch a movie she'll ask a hundred questions about who characters are, what they're doing and why and every single time, without fail, the movie will answer her questions no less than two seconds after she asks.

My girlfriend does this. Me putting on music is like her queue to start a new conversation. Sometimes I just want to listen to the music...

This too. Every time she sees me put on my headphones.

I'm in the same boat, but for my SO it's her watching Instagram posts with louder than normal volume.

This is the real reason I bought her airpods. Now if only she would use them...

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
A friend does this. Nowadays my wife and I rarely watch movies together with her because of that.

Also, if someone talks for more than two sentences during a movie, I press the pause button. Most people get that message.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I try not to be that guy naming various trivia about how that scene was shot and nonsense no one else but me wants to hear..

But it is hard!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently trying to teach my 10 year old the etiquette about this. He's got really into Doctor Who but hasn't realised quite now plot and sci-fi particularly can work. The Doctor has a habit (that I hadn't really thought about until watching it with my son) of listing places he's been.

Problem is, when he says 'oh, yes, the ruby filled smog of Smaranta' or some such I know it's a throwaway line. My 10 year old started asking about what it was and it happens a lot.

He also is working on realising that if something happens that isn't explained, there's a good chance it will be soon - which is another thing that happens every episode. We've chatted about how things are plotted and why something can seem important but just be throwaway and he is getting a lot better.

My wife is usually good about this but when her sister comes over they always want to watch a film and then talk all over it. Apparently it's rude for me to ask them to go to the other room though. I've just started deliberately picking films I have no real interest in watching when she comes over.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
I talk during movies, unfortunately. Not trying to have a conversation or anything, I just like to make quiet comments on what's happening on screen to my companions every so often. Don't think it's too obnoxious, and the people I go with seem to enjoy watching me with.
But I'm probably actually annoying 😅

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
One of my best friends provides the absolute best commentary during movies. I could listen to her all day. Our other best friend hates watching movies with us. :P

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
1. If the purpose of the movie watching session at a private space is something you've all seen before and to have a laugh riffing on it.. go ahead.

2. If it is something I've never seen before, please shut the fuck up for the entire length of the movie.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have made it through the newer Conan film without MST3K-ing it. I'll stay quiet at the cinema, or if the film is good though.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
It's me. I grew up with 4 siblings and we always talked and laughed while watching movies. It's a tough habit to break now that I'm grown.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
I have a friend who will always ask me to spoil a movie for him if he knows I've already seen it.

He'll say things like, "Oh that's the real bad guy, right?" or "I bet this movie ends with..." and he'll get annoyed if I don't answer him. My stance is always "Watch the movie and you'll find out."

Guess he doesn't like feeling like he's being left in the dark or something.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My mom. It's why I avoid going to the theater with her when she invites me, like I love my mom and all but good lord she can't stop talking about what's happening in the movie when she's watching with other people.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Im black.

Movies being commentated is staple, if theres a movie you really want to enjoy in peace pick who you watch with very carefully.
It does make watching bad movies super entertaining though so they have their benefits.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I knew one. This person doesn't exist anymore.

JB0DgJn.jpg