• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you keep console boxes?

• Yes

Votes: 601 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 121 16.8%

• Total voters

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I collect lots of retro machines and know that reselling value is better with a box.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes and it drives my family nuts since I have them in our storage area.

I still have my N64 box - will likely throw it away soon.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I do because I like to put away/store systems I'm not using at the moment and the original boxes help with keeping this neat/clean in my condo's locker.

Deeb

Feb 9, 2019
Yep, and they're all on display above my gaming TVs

bEdv5rk.jpg

EL_Six

Oct 26, 2017
FL
I would keep my boxes for the time of the warranty (1 yr or more if I got extended), although I have seen myself trying to get retro boxes and buying them again for collecting now lol.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I often keep the box for expensive things in case I need to send it for warranty, but not for consoles as I void the warranty on day one... usually...

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There's that one time though I bought a pristine complete NES in a box and scrapped the box because boxes was needlessly big back then.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I do this, to my wife's chagrin. She doesn't understand why I do this, she just sees it as clutter. Even though they are all kept away in a storage room.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really sell consoles on, but don't keep everything out, so keeping the boxes is handy for storage.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Yes, I still have my boxes going all the way back to the NES. I only get rid of them if/when I sell the console. I sold my launch PS4 and Xbox One S this past weekend and having the boxes and other materials helped me get a few extra bucks out of them.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I used to (in my 20s), but not anymore (now in my 40s).

With games though, I keep everything.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm the weirdo that even gets protective boxes for my cardboard boxes... not all consoles have them, but the majority of them do. Turbo Duo is one of the only ones that doesn't because I can't find the right size...

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I try to keep the original boxes for anything I might want to sell or pack away in the future.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I keep boxes for most electronics, as I am kind of a serial upgrader. Having the box means I get more money when I resell them before I buy the newest whatever device....Haha

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I do keep the box for whatever the most recent Xbox I've bought is, foam inserts and all, started doing so with the One. So right now I have an One S box in my attic. I do this because it makes it a lot easier to pack up the console for transport. In the before times my friends and I would get together ~ once a year and have a big LAN party at one of our houses, Halo and Gears and that, so it was good to be able to pack up the console reasonably securely, pop it in the back of my car and not have to worry about it sliding around or breaking.

I do not still have the box my PS4 came in, when I get a PS% I won't be keeping that box either, still undecided about the new Xbox box, Series X could probably just slide that bitch into a backpack and stuff towels around it.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I keep all of them barring a few, like huge TV and front floor standing speaker boxes . I find TV boxes are way too big and always fall apart anyway. I sometimes store stuff in the boxes until it comes time to sell (when upgrading).

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I used to, but not anymore. These days I usually keep it for a while in case there's a problem, but I eventually stick it in the recycling bin.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Always. I tend to keep them to hold any additional items or information from when I purchased them like receipts for warranties, OEM storage, etc. It also makes it easier to pack up my console for when I go to trade them in/sell them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always, I usually sell on the console and it's handy to have moving house too.