• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
And why do you assume that 90% is side eyeing. I feel like you're projecting.

I went to every single midnight showing of the new Star Wars movies, starting with TFA, in full cosplay.
And i was being side-eyed at like hell. And so were the LotR fans during the Hobbit premiere.

Funnily, during our 'watercooler' talk, the day after "Rogue One" released, a colleague of mine asked me "did you go to the midnight screening? How was it? Buddy of mine went - said there were a bunch of weirdos dressed up as some of the characters." - "yeah, about that ..."

Again, it's people just caring less about what others think, because they find support and validation through other means than the 'offline' social circles of the 80s and 90s.

But outside of cons, people still find adults who dress up - outside of carneval or Halloeen - hella weird. And i can't blame them.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I went to every single midnight showing of the new Star Wars movies, starting with TFA, in full cosplay.
And i was being side-eyed at like hell. And so were the LotR fans during the Hobbit premiere.

Funnily, during our 'watercooler' talk, the day after Rogue one, a colleague of mine asked me "did you go to the midnight screening? How was it? Buddy of mine went - said there were a bunch of weirdos dressed up as some of the characters." - "yeah, about that ..."

Again, it's people just caring less about what others think, because they find support and validation through other means than the 'offline' social circles of the 80s and 90s. But outside of cons, people still find adults who dress up - outside of carneval or Halloeen - hella weird. And i can't blame them.
By 90% of the theater? By people still going to midnight screenings for movies that show as early as 7pm opening night.

This just sounds like you walking in insecure.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how the teasing was for millennials, but if people found out you played AD&D in 1986, it was brutal. The good though Star Wars was cool back then

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And why do you assume that 90% is side eyeing. I feel like you're projecting.

Dude cosplay is great, but you're living on the moon if you think it's mainstream.

Anyway my sense is that kids growing up today are generally more accepting of differences in race, sexuality, etc. It wouldn't shock me if that increased tolerance extended to some degree to differences in personal interests as well. And that is a very good thing.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Back in high school, I got made fun of for playing PC games and Nintendo games by others who played Playstation and Xbox. It wasn't about the video games but that they just thought I was a loser and below them. I could have bought an Xbox and it wouldn't have changed anything.

But that's my own experience. I'm glad most of the strange shit I love is becoming more mainstream. People shouldn't be ashamed of liking something they find fun. Bit of self awareness to its quality wouldn't hurt though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
By 90% of the theater? By people still going to midnight screenings for movies that show as early as 7pm opening night.

Just look at this thread. A lot of people thinking you're incorrect on the acceptability among the masses about cosplay and not one person standing with you agreeing. Think about it, we're on a board where this stuff is probably more acceptable and you're still getting a lot of push back. The general masses are going to be less accepting than people here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I can assure you, i'm not insecure in the slightest. I can also only share my first hand experience with you - while your idea of stuff having "become cool" is (imho) just increased exposure. - A hashtag trending on twitter for a day is quite literally a social bubble.
Do you think everyone going to the StarWars midnight screening is, themselves, a nerd of sorts, so should be much more 'open' to people coming dressed up?

Just look at this thread. A lot of people thinking you're incorrect on the acceptability among the masses about cosplay and not one person standing with you agreeing. Think about it, we're on a board where this stuff is probably more acceptable and you're still getting a lot of push back. The general masses are going to be less accepting than people here.

I go to at least one ComicCon a year and i myself find Anime folk kinda dorky. 😅

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care that some of my hobbies are more popular now than 10-15 years ago. Mostly I just get kinda sad and jealous when I see people who actually have friends they can get excited with when it comes to those nerdy hobbies.

Would be super nice to be able to sit on discord with a few friends and get hyped together when a new hot announcement gets dropped during the E3 pressers. Or be able to ask if they wanted to drive a few hours to a comic-con and getting an excited "yes" as the answer.

Last edited:
I did have a period of resentment because I was trying to get my older sister into anime and she didn't care for it. Few years later, a guy she was interested in apparently got her interested and I was so furious over it. (At the time, it was because I was still young and just plain peeved she only liked something because of a guy who in the end, she never dated, lol.)

Now, it's like "Cool. More people I can talk to." (I also will throw things at people if I suspect they're trying to gatekeep something.)

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Why the fuck would I be? I love this. Nowadays I can basically pick any of my once nerdy hobbies, and almost everyone I meet is either into it or willing to try.
I know dozens of people who will watch niche anime movies, play Tabletop Roleplaying Games and do other nerd shit, when it used to be just me and maybe 3 other losers. It owns. This is the best timeline.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how the teasing was for millennials, but if people found out you played AD&D in 1986, it was brutal. The good though Star Wars was cool back then

Yep. I was into D&D, Marvel comics, fantasy books and computer gaming in 1986. It was not popular. Star Wars was ok to like, but not geek out too much on it. I love all these 80s marvel storylines becoming mainstream.

What about all the other officers in the company?

I just turned 50 and the other officers in my company are all around the same age. I'm the only one who's into this stuff though. They are all sports nuts. We are friends and have lunch together everyday, but don't have much else in common. I don't think they have ever seen a Marvel movie. Our CFO, who is 47, has never seen Star Wars.

malyse

Community Resetter
No because I'm not a pretentious elitist asshole. More people liking the stuff I'm into means that more of the stuff I'm into gets made. I love that I get Star Wars movies and Marvel movies regularly. I love that so many people are digging Kingdom Hearts. I love that She-Ra and Dragon Prince and Voltron are things that lots of people watch.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Cosplay ain't there yet. It's not something like Comics, which have been in sight of public for years. It's still fresh and isolated from mainstream compared to movies. Doesn't help there is a massive quality range in cosplay alongside attendees.

But its more accepted for the younger generation for sure. I do enjoy seeing girls pulling out receipts of guys who made fun of them in High School, now trying to get with them 5 years later. Shit is poetic.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I've always unapologetically enjoyed anime and video games.

People made fun of my love of anime in High School but rarely was it ever to the point of being anything other than a minor annoyance. It probably helped that I was 6ft tall and 220lbs.

I don't resent anyone enjoying something that may not have been "cool" when I was younger. If anything I'm happy that these things are becoming more mainstream as I know other kids got picked on for liking Warcraft, DBZ, etc. If these things gain more acceptance, that's one less reason for someone to get picked on.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I try not to hold these kinds of grudges, but sometimes I feel the urge to dropkick someone in the dick when I see assholes who bullied me for liking Pokémon when I was 13 now playing Pokémon Go and buying GBAs because Pokémon "is like, so nostalgic for me, man!" Fuckin' blighters.

That said, I do enjoy seeing more people getting into the stuff I like. It's fun to share. Just not with assholes.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
10-15 years ago the brands I used to find cheaply in the sports store are now stocked by the trendy shop selling for 5x as much.

Damn hipster millenials

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Born cool.

will die cool.
by not caring what is cool, and just by being cool.

and also eating ass.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Yep. I was into D&D, Marvel comics, fantasy books and computer gaming in 1986. It was not popular. Star Wars was ok to like, but not geek out too much on it. I love all these 80s marvel storylines becoming mainstream.

I just turned 50 and the other officers in my company are all around the same age. I'm the only one who's into this stuff though. They are all sports nuts. We are friends and have lunch together everyday, but don't have much else in common. I don't think they have ever seen a Marvel movie. Our CFO, who is 47, has never seen Star Wars.
Thanks, I like hearing about what those fandoms were like before the internet.

It's strange hearing about "all these sports nuts." I remember in my middle school age years being one of the only sports fans. In high school there were more sports fans, but hardly any of them were into hockey (and I live in Canada!).

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What part of the country do you live in? Maybe it's also the industry I'm in (software development)

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Not media, but I own and wore Chuck Taylors when I was young (I'm 35) and they were considered the 'poor kids shoes' and i still wear them to this day.

My only resentment lies in the fact that they used to be dirt cheap and are now expensive comparatively.

These were the shoe of alternative folk in the late 80s/early 90s, it was them or Dr Marten's pretty much.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I was definitely thrown off when people started wearing non-prescription glasses to look fashionable. Not quite what OP means, but something people were mocked for having that then became cool or nobody cared.

I used to get made fun of by my friends for having Apple computers at home. Eventually I started getting calls telling me when they switched over.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Nope.

Gatekeeping is for pathetic fucking losers. I love now that even people who'd in my childhood I'd never imagine would have anything in common with me can now have proper discussions about games with me.

Once again, Gatekeeping is for basement dwelling losers.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this 1000 times but what you're saying isn't really true.

Star Wars is considered "nerdy" yet it was a blockbuster success. The NES, Playstation etc wouldn't have sold gangbusters if people who "weren't nerds" didn't buy them.

Anime like Dragon Ball and Gundam were always extremely popular. Lord of the Rings, comic book stuff, all of it has always been popular.

People never hated "nerdy" things they just liked to make fun of a certain subset of people who enjoyed those things. The jock at your high school probably loved Dragon Ball Z and video games but no one made fun of him for it because of his social standing.

The guy in the anime club who liked those things? Prime bullying material, not because of what he liked but because of his lack of social standing.

Is it "cool" to like those things now? Again it depends on your social status. The uncool loner isn't going to be considered cool because he likes Game of Thrones

No one made fun of the jock liking Dragonball or video games because they didn't make it the core of their social identity. It was just a couple of the many things they liked.

There's a difference between liking something and turning your room into a shrine for something.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I'm in the opposite circumstance. Many of my interests (classical music, art films, 19th-century literature/scholarship, etc.) are so obscure and unpopular, I have practically no one to share them with. The people in my life I do try to involve in my interests--even my boyfriend--typically mock me for them. This reality doesn't make me resentful (well, perhaps a little bit), but it does make me sad.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I'm happy to see young people playing games. They make me look so casual now, but in my teens anyone who played 1h daily on average was already a huuuge gamer.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I still get made fun every so often for playing a lot of games, skateboarding, and watching wrestling. So, nothing has really changed except that I'm an adult now and it no longer bothers me. The things I enjoy are still considered uncool by the general populace. With perhaps gaming being more acceptable/common these days.

Have fun with your boring ass idea of adulthood. I'll keep doing my thing and continue to enjoy being mistaken for someone in their 20s rather than 32.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Yeah no one told me about the early 80s AD&D hysteria. I got a beginner set as a kid, and ended up getting a very serious talk from church people about how it leads to suicide.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
What part of the country do you live in? Maybe it's also the industry I'm in (software development)

South Florida, but it's most likely the industry. The CEO and CFO are pretty old school guys. I'm the General Counsel, but I love chatting with the web and IT guys since we can talk about gaming, movies and fantasy books.

Thanks, I like hearing about what those fandoms were like before the internet.

I watched Infinity War with my kids again last night. It is pretty awesome to share this stuff with them. (not to mention Daredevil and X-Men) I'm glad they are old enough to enjoy and appreciate the stuff that was so important to me when I was a teen.

Like someone said, D&D was really looked down upon in the 80s unless you were with the geeks or nerds. There was some interesting crossing over with the metal heads though since a lot of early metal had fantasy influence.

If you haven't seen Freaks and Geeks, I highly recommend it for seeing what it was like being a geek in the 80s. I knew Judd Apatow in HS and saw alot of our school's influence in that show.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that stuff cool? I'm pretty sure if I went around talking about how big of a Persona fan I am I wouldn't be considered cool because of that. The interenet just exposes you to more people so maybe you think it's considered cool but irl being hardcore into video games and anime can definitely still be considered uncool.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I feel like the issue was backwards for me. Used to get called a hipster a lot for doing my own thing, but it didn't bother me much. It only felt like bullying when someone was trying to insult me, like insinuating that I was being inauthentic when I was way to poor to try to be into the shit I was into anyway. I was even labeled a hipster in my senior yearbook and had half a page dedicated to me talking about things I liked. The fact that someone on the yearbook staff thought of me to talk about 'niche' stuff was incredibly flattering.

Though once in middle school I saw my primary bully, who would call us 'chinese' for liking anime, leaving the basement of our local library. All that was down there was record keeping and the YuGiOh club and I don't think he was down there looking for records 😏

With the internet, its easier to be into the thing you like now and not worry about who likes what.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Is that stuff cool? I'm pretty sure if I went around talking about how big of a Persona fan I am I wouldn't be considered cool because of that. The interenet just exposes you to more people so maybe you think it's considered cool but irl being hardcore into video games and anime can definitely still be considered uncool.

But I don't need the internet to go see the newest Dragon Ball movie in a packed theater. Or really any video game tournament serious or not.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gatekeeping is just as bad as making fun of someone for liking something. Just chill and enjoy ur life people.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
No I generally like it when I can enjoy my hobbies or whatever with more of my friends

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I might bring it up or tease my friends about it, but it's all in good fun. I'd also say anime and especially cosplay are still considered very uncool.