• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Percentage of battery icon only?

• Percentage

Votes: 457 73.8%
  • Battery icon

Votes: 162 26.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
México
No matter the OS you are using... iOS, Android, Windows Phone (I'm sure there are dozens out there).

Do you hide or do you display the battery percentage (in numeric format) in your phone, or do you show only the battery icon?

I always display the battery percentage, and I tried to go icon-only a few weeks ago with my new phone but couldn't do it for more than a couple of days. Even though I got a phone with a massive 5100mAh battery (it gives me 10 hours of screen-on-time @ 120Hz), I like to see exactly how much juice left I have.

How about you?

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
First time iphone user. There's an option to turn it on in the homescreen? I'd like it on, but so far I have to swipe down on the right side of the notch to see the battery life.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Pixel 3A shows both battery icon and percentage at the same time in the upper right hand corner.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I prefer an icon, but I currently have a percentage up as Samsung OneUI 3.0 only offers a percentage and Good Lock isn't updated yet to fully support 3.0 yet.

It's a bit frustrating as I don't have an icon to let me know my battery is charging.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What difference does it make than just a bar? I can judge well enough without a percentage that it's 75, 50, 45 etc. more or less and it wouldn't change my habits of charging or usage having a visible percentage.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
%. I just got a new phone and had to find that setting since by default it was just the icon. No point guessing how much battery I got, just tell me flat-out.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
No matter the OS you are using... iOS, Android, Windows Phone (I'm sure there are dozens out there).

Do you hide or do you display the battery percentage (in numeric format) in your phone, or do you show only the battery icon?

I always display the battery percentage, and I tried to go icon-only a few weeks ago with my new phone but couldn't do it for more than a couple of days. Even though I got a phone with a massive 5100mAh battery (it gives me 10 hours of screen-on-time @ 120Hz), I like to see exactly how much juice left I have.

How about you?
iOS doesn't show battery percentage nowadays, unless you drag down control center.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
My phone has these 3 options:.

wwyqSKG.jpg

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I absolutely love Apple hiding the percentage in Control Center. I have learned to not worry about the percentage, and it's a much better experience.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Percentage always. I get anxiety as soon as my phone hits 49%

I don't think I've ever run out of battery on any device as I am constantly charging them

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Percentage. The icon just doesn't offer sufficient detail, particularly as I have a four year old phone with a four year old battery—I need to keep an eye on the percentage to have some idea of when it's gonna die on me.

Oct 30, 2017
no percentage unless i'm actively testing battery life. it's just anxiety-inducing otherwise. highly recommend turning it off for anyone who keeps it on — very freeing.

it's not like these percentages are 100% accurate to the ratio of charged electrons anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer an icon, but I currently have a percentage up as Samsung OneUI 3.0 only offers a percentage and Good Lock isn't updated yet to fully support 3.0 yet.

It's a bit frustrating as I don't have an icon to let me know my battery is charging.

Just updated yesterday to OneUI 3.0 and I have both. Using a Galaxy s20 Ultra and you can choose to remove the percentage.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to do %, but more recent iPhones decided not to use the space for it. On older phones when I had the choice, watching the exact percentage tick down during the day caused a certain amount of totally unneeded battery anxiety, so I turned it off. Now that the new phones hide it behind a swipe there's no complaints from me: no over-analyzing my usage when just using the phone, but I can get the exact number at any time

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm home all day so it's useless. If I see the little battery icon get on the lower side, I just charge it.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My Google Pixel 4a displays both for me and I don't think I changed any settings. But if I had to choose, definitely percentage.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Just updated yesterday to OneUI 3.0 and I have both. Using a Galaxy s20 Ultra and you can choose to remove the percentage.

I have a Note 20 and it doesn't give me a battery icon.

The only icons I have are the clock, cellular, wifi and the S-Pen indicator.

I might do a factory reset later and see if that brings it back (I'm thinking it might be a good lock incompatiblity thing)

Oct 29, 2017
On Android I had it on percentage and now on iOS I just have the icon and I check percentage only when it turns red. On android with my galaxy s7 and s8+ you'd want to know if you were getting down to 20% because you don't have much time left. On iOS I can ride the red icon for the rest of the day most likely

On iOS so I have to swipe down from Control Center to see the percentage but the icon is always there. Since having percentage "hidden" on my homescreen, I'm less anxious and don't really worry about my phone...

...I do have my battery percentage on display on my Apple Watch and that kinda makes me anxious when working despite knowing it'll last all day.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
My phone has these 3 options:.

wwyqSKG.jpg
Waaaaaa? What is this dark magic?!?

I have an android but my wife has a smart phone and I play with it and I hate that it doesn't show % unless you slide the screen down.

It's not even my phone and I'm angry at Apple. I'm so dumb

One Plus 7t and I have it show a circle.

The circle looks more intuitive than just the bar. I can tell the % way easier that way and it looks pretty cool

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Battery icon's fine. Gives me a rough estimate. On iOS it automatically switches to percentage at 20% anyway, which is when it actually matters.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Pixel 2 has the battery icon with its charge % located at the top right by default (or maybe I set it to include the %? I don't recall). It's convenient and unobtrusive.

Poemkin

Oct 27, 2017
Icon on iOS. It's either charged for the day or it's not, I don't need any other info.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, my wife and I were JUST talking about this. I commented that she doesn't have the percentage on hers and she said it's because it actively stresses her out to see the number, especially if it falls below 50%.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Just the battery icon. There's no point in that granular knowledge - knowing that the battery is full, fine, or getting close to empty is more than enough.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm in a situation where I need the percentage visible, I shouldn't be using my phone that much to save battery.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Just the icon. My phone never gets below like 30% in a normal day of use, so it's not important.