• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have your TV set to Game Mode? (you can select multiple choices if you have multiple displays

• Yes

Votes: 398 76.5%
  • I play on a Gaming Monitor so ... sure.

Votes: 77 14.8%
  • No. I don't have a game mode. But I turned off all lag inducing settings individually

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • No.

Votes: 71 13.7%

• Total voters

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Getting a 4K TV recently it blew my mind how many more colour/format options it had compared to my 1080p TV from 2010. Was quite overwhelming tbh.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly y'all, game mode reduces latency but it makes everything look like shit. I only use it for fighting games. I'll deal with input lag on everything else, it ain't that big a deal

Yep. Not sure how the C8 looks, or the more recent model that gives you access to all of the calibraion options in Game Mode, but on the B6/E6 it looks like absolute shit. I beat Cuphead on a B6 in Standard, so I guess I can deal with it. I play shooters and fighting games on a PC monitor.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. My TV is old, so the downgrade in image quality is way more noticeable than the lag reduction. Waiting for the C9 to upgrade.

King Al B

Mar 28, 2018
I set all TV and inputs to game mode regardless of the content. I dont like any of those fancy imaging processes and effects.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yep. Not sure how the C8 looks, or the more recent model that gives you access to all of the calibraion options in Game Mode, but on the B6/E6 it looks like absolute shit. I beat Cuphead on a B6 in Standard, so I guess I can deal with it. I play shooters and fighting games on a PC monitor.

? I have a C6 and game mode looks great. The only thing you lose out on is greyscale controls. So while you're not able to get a 100% accurate image, you can get pretty close. The calibration report for my TV's game mode isn't that far off of ISF Expert. Basically the only difference in game mode is slightly inaccurate colors that you'd probably only notice in a side-by-side comparison.

Now if you're talking uncalibrated settings then yeah, the expert modes are way closer to industry standards.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
For gaming I always switch it on. My 900E has bad latency in anything but game mode. Those saying it makes the image look bad can only speak for their display, as mine looks incredible.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I've noticed that many TV's especially the two Samsung ones I own and also an LG I also own have a "game mode" but it doesn't actually turn off all the processing. I can manually change the device ID to PC which turns off all processing completely compared to game mode. On my main gaming 32" Samsung TV specifically, game mode is just a balance of reduced processing and image quality so you get a kind of best of both in a sense. Image quality gets further reduced when I set it to PC mode but the input response becomes noticeably better. I don't know if anyone else has experimented with their own TV's game mode and PC mode but it's definitely worth a try because PC mode feels much more responsive albeit with sacrifices, though it is to be expected.

Last edited:

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Once again, my situation is not reflected on the categories of an Era poll. I alternate.

I have a 49-inch LG UJ6560 connected to my Xbox One X. It is a low-end, good price-to-quality ratio 4K TV with relatively very low input lag. The difference in image quality between Standard HDR mode and Game Mode is enormous, and thankfully there's only one game in which the lag is really noticeable: Destiny 2.

So, in short: I use a customized Standard 4K, HDR mode for everything but Destiny 2, which looks much less vibrant but plays a lot better in Game Mode.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gaming monitor is the only way I play. I am a real gamer, drink 10 liters of Mountain Dew and engulf myself in Doritos every second. My mouse is a complete rainbow of RGB as is my shirt which also reads on it "Don't piss me off. I about to level up and you look like just enough EXP".

But yeah, gaming monitors are lit especially for the 144hz.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I set all TV and inputs to game mode regardless of the content. I dont like any of those fancy imaging processes and effects.
Same.

Most of the post-processing bells and whistles that TV manufacturers put in their products these days don't actually improve anything as far as I'm concerned. I just turn it all off and settle on a simple calibration.

I'd replace my HDTV with a no-frills computer monitor if they made them in 60-inch sizes.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Anything over 50-60 ms will likely make most competitive games unplayable, but realistically you want that number to be in the 10-25 range on a TV. So yeah I always have game mode turned on for my TV.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My TV has a game mode for all inputs but I also have a dedicated hdmi input with even lower input lag for gaming. I mostly just use the game mode as that input doesn't support hdr

Deleted member 15848

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I can feel the difference when it's off on my TV and it's unplayable especially for MP games.

I believe it's 22ms with it on and 50ms with it off.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
yep yep. Play in game mode. Wired controller. Wired internet. And i still get starched and shot around corners in Destiny 2

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Usually. For single-player games that don't require fast reaction times, I sometimes use another preset where motion interpolation is enabled at the cost of increased lag. When it works well, it can make a 30 fps game feel like 60 fps in terms of smoothness. I actually played the post-game of Spider-Man that way, and it worked surprisingly well, making it feel even better to swing through the city. Spider-man has a mechanic where you can benefit in various ways from achieving a "perfect dodge", and that was probably a bit more difficult in this mode, but it didn't really bother me in practice.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Well I play everything on my PC monitor including consoles but when I do use a TV I always set it to Game Mode or, if available, PC mode. I love PC mode because, when it's there, always has even less lag than game mode and zero filters to the image. Sharp, clear and responsive image. We have 3 (non-smart) LG TVs in our home and all 3 have a PC mode, which is triggered by changing the "icon" in the HDMI input to a PC icon. It's great.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
I own a Sony 49X8005C (don't know the US equivalent) and even though I play with Game Mode enabled, the input lag is low but there are some games with terrible "ghosting", don't notice so much on games in 60fps but it's still noticeable and I hate it :( but can't change TV and I don't think there's much else I can change on TV settings..

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
My TV is pretty great and low on input lag when not in gaming mode. My friend's Phillips TV, for example, is horrible with its input lag and he definitely needs to play with gaming mode. Hisense, however, seems to be solid in that regard. I still use the gaming mode because I got a bit more sensitive about input lag in shooters. And with a bit of tweaking the image looks not particularly worse that with cinema mode.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I have mine set to game mode only because I have my PC connected to it and I play my consoles through the capture card software on my PC, I stopped using monitors like over 10 years ago, prefer using a TV. With the other modes the PC output would be all messed up looking, overly sharp, bright etc., game mode looks fine. If I'm playing my console using the other HDMI inputs though then no, I don't use game mode, input lag stuff doesn't concern me, never noticed it, I'm the only one I know who's even heard of the term.
Edit: Just checked out my TV model and the game mode is 16ms and non-game mode 28ms, so yeah, that's probably the reason I never noticed it. XD

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it makes a HUGE difference. But it set like this by default when connected on the PS4, so I just had to check the first time.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
My samsung q9fn switches to game mode automatically on game mode.

Image looks fantastic

The only thing I miss a tiny bit in game mode is black frame insertion

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
For most TVs you have to enable game mode and then also calibrate at least colors/contrast/brightness so it doesn't look like shit.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have it on Default or User or something, I never notice any Input lag on my Sony Bravia.

But the TV downstairs which is a LG has the worst input lag and not even changing modes helps, Rocket League and Rock Band are a nightmare because I can never calibrate it.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Ruined my experience :( biggest waste of money on a 4K tv

Games looks incredible but input lag was atrocious. Game mode looked terrible and was difficult to switch to after seeing how good the games could look. Made breath of the wild so shiny it almost seemed 60fps.

Stresses me out thinking of buying a new one. Tv's are so complicated bleh. Wish it was just buy and play, simples. None of this calibrating silliness

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nah. I can't tell the difference feel wise but I can see the difference image quality wise so I don't use game mode

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I play on an LG C8 (65" 4K OLED) and games are totally unplayable if game mode isn't enabled. The only issue I ever have is when I use my One X to play Blu-Rays as the game mode introduces some nasty judder on content playing at 24 hz so I always switch to my customized film profile whenever I pop a movie or show in.

I recently bought the same exact model. What settings do you use? I had mine calibrated by geek squad, but wouldn't mind giving yours a shot as well.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Getting a 4K TV recently it blew my mind how many more colour/format options it had compared to my 1080p TV from 2010. Was quite overwhelming tbh.

You really want to be careful to turn certain of these "modern TV' settings and features off though. Not only do they contribute to higher lag and processing, but video-calibration philes agree that it actually ruins the picture quality by making it unnatural.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My samsung has both game mode and a "pc mode". The pc mode active by naming the connection "pc". Kind of an odd way of doing it but it works and further reduces lag more than game mode.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah I use Game Mode on my 4k Sony Bravia to reduce input lag.

I still calibrated all my individual inputs though, including the ones using Game mode, to make sure colours and other settings are correct. Nothing worse than an over sharpened picture with unnatural colours and black levels ect.

Biw

Oct 28, 2017
I have an LG B8 as well. Game mode on. And I notice immediately when I start to play a game with it off. NBA 2k19 is unplayable without it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
But game mode on a ks8000 looks fine once calibrated? Why do ppl say game mode looks like shit on tvs? Are they using 15yr old ones! I've calibrated and game mode and non game mode look the same minus the input lag in game mode.

Also should dynamic contrast be set to medium in hdr games in ks8000?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
For some games yes mostly fighting games. Everything else I deal with the lag to get better image quality I usually don't notice it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
my PC monitor has a game mode. Does it matter ? It really just looks like ass and I can't comprehend how a monitor is supposed to have a game mode...when it isn't supposed to induce extra lag time in the description

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
I have my HDMI output source set as "PC" on my Samsung so no. Plus it makes the picture look like ass.
Making sure your HDMI source outputs as PC is the way to go, if available.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
I have a 2018 LG LED TV with Game Mode which improves lag however there is a big negative, it really messes up the contrast so that scenes appear way to dark and you miss a lot of detail. It's terrible for God of War. With Skyrim I switched to Dynamic, there is lag and weird artefacts when I rotate left or right fast, but the benefit is that I can see everything.