• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take the plunge?

• I already did!

Votes: 319 28.8%
  • I plan on doing so/want to someday

Votes: 245 22.1%
  • No, I don't see it in my future

Votes: 543 49.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've got our three that we planned. Some days are tougher than others, but we have a wide-reaching network of support, we live in a low cost city, and make decent money. Without the help, we might have had just one, or maybe skipped altogether.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
have a toddler, wife is baby crazy so the diligent process has begun

my Only hope was waiting on another kid till the other was mostly done with diapers

We've got our three that we planned. Some days are tougher than others, but we have a wide-reaching network of support, we live in a low cost city, and make decent money. Without the help, we might have had just one, or maybe skipped altogether.

That's part of what's currently tipping the scales into the 'no' side for a third. We live abroad and move a lot, so there's zero help and navigating a foreign language makes this extra challenging, plus I work full time which means doing all of my work in chunks while the kids are at school (only 3 hrs worth of time w/ the commute) and after dinner. Shit's tiring. But at the same time, having one here would fulfill a prophecy. Decisions, decisions...

Also, in case people don't know, one of the reasons (not the biggest, but definitely part of it) women in Japan are also opting out of kids is the process itself. Hospitals do not offer epidurals here as a standard. Some new/specialized hospitals do but not very many, from what I've been told, and those have long waiting lists. Not giving women here that choice is deterring many.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. There was a time when I thought I'd might want them some day but the more I see my friends around me having them, and hanging around them, the less I want them lol. Nothing about the idea interests me.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Three, a boy and two girls. Got snipped after the third so we're done. We're lucky in that we are surrounded by my wife's family who all pitch in to help. It takes a village and all that.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Three, a boy and two girls. Got snipped after the third so we're done. We're lucky in that we are surrounded by my wife's family who all pitch in to help. It takes a village and all that.

Darn near identical to us.

12 year old girl, 7 year old girl, and a 1 year old boy. Family helps us all the time.

I love kids, might would want more if I could afford it. Wife will have to have surgery in the next 12 months though and it will end having anymore.

I enjoy being a dad more than anything else in life.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Just started the process recently actually.

stealth "I am having so much sex you wouldn't believe it" post :-D

I'm single, 39 and don't want children. It really makes it hard finding a partner. The vast majority of women in their thirties want children. I can really see the change from when I (and they) were in our twenties. The clock is ticking.

Another five years and hopefully it will be a bit easier to find one. Then the ones in my target group will have given up.

Aug 13, 2019
Absolutely not. Having kids is a huge responsibility that I don't ever see myself being prepared for. I can hardly remember to feed myself 3 times a day, nevermind a baby. Hell, I can't even trust myself with a pet goldfish.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I've a nine month old son and he is the best! I love him to death. Some years ago I would have said that I never wanted a child.
I just needed the right partner. Now everyday with him is a gift to me.

by the way. Those pet and tamagotchi comparisons are more than bullshit. It's easier to be a good parent than to raise a tamagotchi. It just needs more energy.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
no and I used to want kids, but at 40 I'm getting to the point where I don't myself having any anymore, so I guess it's no and no.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Nope. I'm 44, and she's 33. Neither of us want kids. We've actually talked about sterilization, as there would be no need for hormonal birth control, which have all kinds of side effects.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of having or raising a child.
It's not for everyone but it's rewarding, it's fun, it can make you laugh, it can give you emotional highs you've never experienced before that make it all worth while, and then there's the love and emotional bond you form with them. Even when you're having a bad day at work, they can be the spark the lightens it when you get home as they're excited to see you and run to give you a hug. The unconditional love they give you is just so pure and is something that is hard to describe for someone who hasn't experienced it. Plus it's fun having a gaming partner who will one day likely kick your ass...

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not for everyone but it's rewarding, it's fun, it can make you laugh, it can give you emotional highs you've never experienced before that make it all worth while, and then there's the love and emotional bond you form with them. Even when you're having a bad day at work, they can be the spark the lightens it when you get home as they're excited to see you and run to give you a hug. The unconditional love they give you is just so pure and is something that is hard to describe for someone who hasn't experienced it. Plus it's fun having a gaming partner who will one day likely kick your ass...

Yeah, none of that is for me. Every time I see my nephew all I can think about is how financially drained my sister is, all the germs he picks up from school, how frankly uninteresting and unfun it is to play with him etc.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
I feel like someday I want kids, but as of right now I'm too young and hardly make enough money to support myself.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Closing in on 35. Don´t have any. Don´t want any. I have a girlfriend I love and live with and who don´t want kids either luckily.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not against having kids but i don't want to have one without the right partner.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm single in my 30's, suffering from anxiety and depression. Even if I found someone I wanted to share my life with, I doubt I would want have children with that person and subject them to me as a parent

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Yeah, none of that is for me. Every time I see my nephew all I can think about is how financially drained my sister is, all the germs he picks up from school, how frankly uninteresting and unfun it is to play with him etc.

Not all kids are made the same. My youngest brother was a blast from a very early age onward. I was the one that watched my favorite movies and cartoons with him, and taught him how to play video games. Now, at the age of 15, he plays competitive Team Fortress 2 and does speedruns of Dusk.

(In case you're not familiar with Dusk or Dusk speedruns, this is the seventh fastest speedrun of chapter 1 in the world.)

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Mostly want some of my own, occasionally interact with someone else's, then don't want any for a while.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Have none. Would love some, but probably won't be in my future, for many reasons. It's okay, I have nieces and nephews.

None of us would be here if a minimum of one (and ideally two) people made the choice to carry a pregnancy to term and then spend a sizeable amount of their resources on you for 18+ years... mad respect to all the parents out there who put in the effort. If my life circumstances were different I'd love to be right there next to you.

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We will try for "number 2" by the end of this year, so the age difference is small with our 6mo baby girl. But I don't consider having more than 2 childs.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A boy and a girl. Two totally different characters, best decision ever to have kids.

Will do the snip soon though. I hate condoms.

Oct 27, 2017
I have two, boy and a girl (gotta catch em all!)

It's great!
And it's shit!

But here's the thing; everything negative you've read about kids is true. They are a huge financial drain, they do steal all your free time and most of your free money, they do bring germs and head lice home from school, they do make you tired, they do cause a scene in a shop when you're just trying to buy something, they do have tantrums over the silliest things, they do test every ounce of your patience and resilience.

But you don't mind. These aren't someone else's kids, these are your kids. You have a bond with them and it's impossible to explain adequately to people without kids. I deeply dislike other people's kids, the stuff they do irritates me. My kids do the same fucking stuff and I don't mind, because they're mine and I'd tongue kiss Piers Morgan to keep them safe and happy.

The bad stuff is generally all true, but the good stuff outweighs the bad stuff by a factor it's impossible to calculate. And there is a huge amount of good stuff.

Weird innit.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Don't have any don't want any.

Being an teenager when I finally got younger siblings knocked the very idea right out of me when I was younger and that feeling has only gotten more intense as I go through my 30s.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I have two. A 7 and 3 year old girl. Ask me 15 years ago and I would have said I foresaw none in my future.

About the only good thing I have going on now is them. The world is bleak but they brighten my day.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have no children, and most of the time I don't want them either. Sometimes though I wish I had 2 daughters and a son, so maybe I am curious about adoption of teens just to skip the grind.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
We have an almost 2 year old. Love her more than anything, but we're one and done for sure. I'd like to think I'm mature enough to just acknowledge that I'm selfish with my time and money. We have enough of both to share with exactly one other human being right now, and that's fine. She's happy and healthy, let's not push our luck.

I've also lost all my patience with people who are like, "So when is she going to be a big sister?"

Never. Not happening. Stop asking. Daycare is mega-expensive. Diapers and formula are expensive. The deductible (which just doubled for us this year, yay free market!) for when my daughter was born made me a hardcore M4A convert. Eat shit, and mind your own life please.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have 3 daughters (8,5,2) and absolutely love it! The wife and I don't want any more; 3 seems to be the perfect number for us. I love teaching them everything from outdoor skills and academics to life lessons and sports. They are like awesome little information sponges! I love playing video games with them; they are really into Pokemon and platformers (my 8 year old starting playing Super Meat Boy at 5, and she's amazing). We just all have so much fun together. I'll pull up to the house after the worst day at work, and they'll be waiting for me to get out of my car. It's the best. I'm not looking forward to having 3 teenage girls, but for now, it's really an awesome time.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Have two children, daughter aged 10 and son 7. There is a 2.5yr gap.
Easily the best thing that ever happened to me, gave me a lot of purpose in my life and have brought a massive amount of contentment and joy.