• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WEEEEELLL???? WE'RE WAITINNNNNNG!!!!!!!!

• Yah

Votes: 250 62.3%
  • Nah

Votes: 120 29.9%
  • I'm currently unemployed.

Votes: 31 7.7%

• Total voters

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thanks to Swedish employment laws the company would have to close fown for me to lose my job

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Working in the video games industry, so I wouldn't be surprised to lose my job within the next few years.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I have many privileges and get away with many things but I also know I'm one bad day or bunch of screw ups happening from being out the door. For me as long as I do my job well I have no worries.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly hope so. I don't know if anyone can be 100% certain they have job security though. Anything could happen to a company overnight.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was joking around with my Doc the other day telling her about my visit to my old faculty. Told her when they asked me how are things going there, I said she hasn't fired me yet. She replied, I'm never going to fire you, you're retiring with me. I am her unicorn. Not that I take that security for granted, but the respect and validation I get from my Doc makes me work harder daily to prove I deserve it. So I pretty much have security for the rest of my or her working career.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If I were to somehow lose my job tomorrow one of my competitors will gladly snatch me up from what I've seen.

Oct 25, 2017
We are desperately trying to find new people because we have so much work to do and I work for one of the largest accounting firms in the world so I'd say for now I feel pretty safe

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Im quite safe I believe, not as safe from myself since Im prone to make "in the moment" decisions... But we are a very small team doing what we're doing, so in that sense Im safe as well since we are the oil in a big machinery!

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
No. I'm a freelance illustrator and I am not making anywhere near close to a living wage and never know where my next payment is coming from.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Never have, never will. Been a consultant in the oil and other heavy industries since I graduated. Now I started my own firm with a few partners so the risk is much higher (and so is the reward). I used to think I should have worked for the oil majors instead right at the start of my career, until they started firing everyone and have an official policy of having as few employees as possible.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Does anyone truly have 100% job security?

Even if you're one of the few in your field, unless you're the only person on earth who can do what you do then there is still a possibility of getting fired

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
In a boom right now in NYC, technically I am expendable but at the same time in high demand. If your not working as a journeyman/apprentice right now you either suck/bad reputation or don't want to work.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much as you can with a non profit running on a tight budget, they'll do whatever they can to keep me but if worse comes to worst I'll quickly be in line to go since I'm not in a revenue generating department

Oct 25, 2017
when-first-started-my-job-vs-now-fire-me-i-15799268.png

I'm still bitter about not getting my promotion or at least a worthwhile salary increase after they increased my workload by 30%.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Never feel you are irreplaceable, even if you think you carry the entire company on your shoulders I guarantee you, if necessary, you could be replaced in moments. I've seen it happen to people who have that hubris of "I'm the only one who knows how things work around here!" after they were fired for generally neglecting their duties (because they thought they were untouchable) the department was rocky for a month at most before things were back to normal.

To answer the question, my job is pretty stable. I work at a smaller company and I am an entire half of the IT department and people generally like me and I like them so that's a plus.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the 19th person to hold my position in the last 25 years. The owner of the company is a total asshole and the Corporate HQ is across the street from my site, he calls and complains about the pettiest shit when he's looking out the window. I take it in stride though, his lunacy doesn't bother me, the job is close to home and I'm paid really well. My skills are in high demand in the area and if I ever got let go I'd just have to explain who I worked for and the person interviewing me would likely say "You worked for that asshole? For that long??" No one wants this job so I guess that's job security.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on how you define safe.

I am pretty underpaid right now for what I'm having thrown at me. However I've heard this gives me security if there becomes rounds of layoffs, because I'm significantly cheaper to retain than some of my coworkers with seniority

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a pay increase and very much welcome in the video game company I work in, but if the company will still be in existence is a regular question.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the second most expendable person at my company after the receptionist and our company is so small that there isn't really enough work for me every day. I'm surprised they hired my position to begin with. I'm definitely on the chopping block if downsizing ever happens, but luckily we're looking to increase our size at the moment which will hopefully increase my workload and give me more security.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think so. (I hope so.)
I work in tech support for a software company. The software we make isn't big or flashy. If I told you the name, you would probably never have heard of it unless you've worked with it directly. But it's one of those things that's so indispensable that it honestly boggles my mind that someone had to invent it, and we have some of the biggest companies on earth from nearly every industry using the product. So in that respect, I feel pretty secure.
But you never know, right?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly secure. My team isn't that big and we just lost 3 people who changed positions. So if I left they would really be in a tough spot.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I don't sadly , I have a trivial job so I am easily replaceable. But losing my job won't affect me , I pretty much work to not be bored at home.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
More than average for all workers.

Less than average for my field as I teach at a charter school.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I have a government job, and in my country, they're almost impossible to lose. If my role becomes redundant, I just get moved elsewhere within the department.

So yeah, as secure as it gets.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah.

Most days I worry more about the health of the company itself rather than my position.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My job is pretty secure. As long as I don't mess up royally and cause a scandal they'll never get rid of me. I would have to act intentionally bad for them to do so. They've spent thousands updating facilities and buying equipment just for me.

Doesn't pay as well as I would like though.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
They could let me go whenever, really. But, I have been getting nothing but praise since I started, so I don't see that happening, barring outside circumstances like a severe downturn in the banking industry.

My wife's job is secure though, and she is the main breadwinner, so I'm not worried. Her contract is for 3 years, and they can really only let her go for gross misconduct/negligence.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fairly safe, it's a government job and it's union and you need an advanced degree to do it but I graduated undergrad in 2009 so I'll never feel 100% secure in any job I have for as long as I live.

You are safe.
Im a govt (state) employee, but not a union title, just a regular white collar mid manager, but I even feel very safe. Im the only person doing the job, the job is written into a couple different statutes (good luck changing those), it took them a long while to get the role approved, we're short staffed, there is a hiring freeze, the dept. is fighting to get special permission to hire more people..there are other people like me in other roles I've been around longer than...we all survived the transition from a republican to a democrat governor...we should all be safe for this gov's term, likely 2 terms, and even if it shifts back, we were brought in by a republican gov, sooooo....

I'll probably be let go today lol.

But my wife is a union white collar position holder, so we'll never starve .

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. I work in IT at a state university. We're unionized so we're pretty secure on that front. On the other hand, us and most Universities in our region are struggling with low enrollment and decreased government funding, which creates budget concerns. Barring things getting dire regarding funding, I think I can keep my job as long as I want it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, not at all.

Work in very large tech sales for a major player in the space ($100MM+ contracts). I'm only as needed as I can deliver each quarter/fiscal year. The money and benefits are great, but I sacrifice job security for it. It can be supremely stressful.

My wife makes quite a bit less than I do, but she has a very high-demand/high-need role, and if God-forbid she were fired tomorrow, she could have a new job two weeks later. So fortunately we won't ever starve.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, just yesterday they said they need to get rid of 26 people from my center of 115, so I'm Def in the firing line atm

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yeah probably, at least for the next 5 years or so. I work at a non-profit, and our funding is on the decline currently to be honest, but it's not in a shits-hittin'-the-fan place quite yet. And even if it does get there, I really doubt they would go after my position until the end-of-times, as I pretty much have the sole mastery of our website and its front-end development myself. If I go, their web presence will screech to a halt. There's also zero chance they can replace me with someone at my skill level below what I'm getting paid, as I'm already taking a pretty big salary hit compared to my skill level and the job market in this area, but I enjoy the people, the work-life balance, and I've been here long enough that my benefits are both sweet and flexible, so I'm happy for now even if I could be getting paid like 10-15% more in the private sector

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMHO 'Job Security' has nothing to do with your current employer, and more to do with your skillset.
I am currently spending a lot of my free time outside of work teaching myself a new skillset that is very much in demand.
When the next recession hits it is my hope that by spending the time to learn now will help me find a new job quickly and or be the kick in the pants I need to strike out on my own.

TL;DR: No, because I am not self employed...yet

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
There has to be some kind of apocalyptic event for me to lose my job and even then I doubt I would be out of work for long. Payment would be in caps of course...

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
My current employer loves to fire folks over the smallest grievances but I don't sweat it too much since I'm in the cybersecurity field. Recruiters contact me in an attempt to poach me from my job on a weekly basis.