• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have friends/family IRL to discuss games?

• I do.

Votes: 689 71.8%
  • I don't.

Votes: 271 28.2%

• Total voters

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I didn't really have many friends to talk about games up until recently, when a few friends from yonder told me they also had Switches, so we created a whatsapp group and started discussing games and playing together.

Before that, it was years and years of Resetera only discussion.

Oh, and it feels really good to be able to talk to people I know IRL about games. Less lonely of a hobby, I guess.

What about you?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
A small handful of friends and my brother. Outside of those few, gaming never gets brought up.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I wish so I don't spend much time on the online communities.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Quite a few actually. We have a discord that we just kinda keep open for whenever anyone wants to jump in and chat/play. It's all friends from college so we constantly have stuff to talk about especially the more "hardcore" ones that usually stay involved with the happenings of the industry.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
This is a weird question for me from a perspective standpoint, as I've had the same close knit group of friends for ~15 years and we talk constantly, but life and age have made our relationships become long distance. They were local to me for so long that it feels weird thinking of them as long distance now that we've all moved to new places. I have a few friends near me now and games come up loosely in conversation here and there, but not like my closest friends. So I guess no?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I know people that play games, but they don't keep up or care about anything. They just grab a couple of games a year(mostly sports). So we don't really talk about it.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yes, I'd even say most of them play video games. However most if them play different stuff than me but we still talk a bunch about games

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I have friends for nearly all my hobbies (an art friend, a gym friend, etc).
For gaming, I only have my twin.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yeup got my childhood best friend

we spend like 80 hours this past week on Monster Hunter Rise lol

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Nah, not anymore. A co-worker knows I play games, but they don't play themselves and just uses it to start a conversation. Even my online friends have mostly moved on from games.

I vent to my wife, who couldn't care less.

Luca5trife

Mar 30, 2019
Portugal
My friends only play like one game, almost always online free PC gamers exclusively (League of Legends, Valorant, CS:GO...).
My cousin plays Nintendo games at least and we watch the directs together but i don't have any more people to talk about console games. :(
And i'm very interested in things like retrogaming, consoles and collecting, its hard to find people irl with those interests...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I met two of my current best friends getting amiibo at GameStop a few years, and another at a Zelda concert. I also have college friends who live far away but that I stay in contact with, often about games. And I still actively game with my siblings when we get together, as well as with my nephews.

OP
OP
vitormg

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Quite a few actually. We have a discord that we just kinda keep open for whenever anyone wants to jump in and chat/play. It's all friends from college so we constantly have stuff to talk about especially the more "hardcore" ones that usually stay involved with the happenings of the industry.
This is cool. My recent group is more strictly related to Switch, yet I play a lot of other different stuff as well.

Oct 31, 2017
No, literally all my IRL friends don't play video games. I try to inject as many Final Fantasy mentions via photos/gifs as possible anyways lol

and sometimes From Software

OP
OP
vitormg

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
For example now, I'm in a family meeting with my fiancee's family and no one cares about games. Played quite some Switch during the day, but have no one to talk about it here. Feels strange.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, still text with my best friend from high school most days. Usually about video games or comics.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
All of my real life friends work in the industry, so, yea.

When I moved to Sweden I basically left behind everything, except the relationships with my family.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Surprising amount. But a lot of it is casual talk about it much like having seen a movie or TV show. Recommendations, the occasional talk about it if we both played it and what we thought. It's really become just another media thing.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
All my friends game to some degree, but the amount has decreased dramatically over the years for many of them. The idea of not having any friends who at least play games casually seems a little odd for me. I don't know if I have met many people my age who don't play something...

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yup. I would say about 40% of my co-workers like talking videogames also. About the same % that like to talk movies.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Yes
My girlfriend, her best friend, and her best friend's boyfriend are all into video games.
Aside from liking my girlfriend liking Yakuza my girlfriend and I pretty much have the same taste.
One roomie and I are huge into MH

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The people around my age (30) has gaming more normalized in their lives than older generations, so with some specific exceptions, I can talk gaming with almost all my non enthusiast friends.

Obviously I will not start talking them about niche stuff like JRPG games that sold 200.000 copies worldwide, but I can adapt to them and speak more mainstream stuff

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I have some friends to talk videogames with, but only about half of them are hardcore gamers. So I find myself talking to them more about videogames than the others.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yes, all of my friends play video games, but a lot of them only play on Nintendo or PC so a lot of times I'm talking to the wall. I have a friend that refuses to play PS games even if I give him a PS4 because he "didn't grow up with it" and that annoys me because I can't imagine not wanting access to a whole bunch of good games

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
What do you mean by talk?
"Damn, this game is good" -> A lot.
But, actual discussions about the state of industry and/or rumours? Only one.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Not really. I had a few that were heavy into fighting games but that has passed, and is rarely a conversation anymore, sadly. Most gaming talk is just casual stuff now.