• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Valve deliver on their next released game?

• Yes.

Votes: 191 31.2%
  • No.

Votes: 201 32.8%
  • They will never release another game.

Votes: 220 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they would object, I just think that it would be preferable for them to officially support standard play + VR play, since they won't really be able to force people to use VR.

If you watch the video I posted earlier in this thread it's very clear they're designing for VR. It's pretty clear they want VR to be more mainstream/popular and are interested in the design challenges of a VR game. They're selling a $1,000 VR kit. They're paying for VR game development by pre-paying Steam revenue while still allowing the games they're funding to appear on other platforms.

Valve doesn't operate like other companies, I'm sure they know they're going to sell way less copies of Half Life VR as a VR only game than if it had a normal and a VR mode. I doubt they care about that loss revenue. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they discount HLVR or give it away for free to Valve Index buyers. It seems like their current goal is to increase the number of owners of VR hardware (and subsequencly the number of people buying VR software, on Steam and other platforms).

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
No, since I don't have a VR device and I don't care about multiplayer. I don't see them making another traditional single-player game.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't think they would object, I just think that it would be preferable for them to officially support standard play + VR play, since they won't really be able to force people to use VR.
I can't see Valve putting out a game called Half Life 3 that would require VR.

I can see them putting out a game called Half Life 3 that would be heavily designed around VR, but would still support standard monitors and controls.

If it required VR, they'd just be inviting people to hack it to work without VR, too.
You can't make a killer app if it's available on both platforms. People will always take the cheaper option. The Kerry Davis talk also shows that they are building systems that wouldn't be possible in standard play anyway, so there just isn't a way to offer both without asymmetrical play in some co-op mode or something. I don't think modding would enable a possibility for standard play either because you'd likely have to remove all the core systems of the game.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Modern Valve is like Michael Jordan playing baseball: entertaining to some people, but ultimately a waste of talent/potential.

I'd like their next thing to be on the level of Half-Life 2 or Portal, but I'm expecting more of a low-budget Tech demo or multiplayer thing.

Oct 31, 2017
I used to rate Valve among my favorite game developers, but after all these years of Steam and supporting their own older titles, I'm sort of wondering if they even have any internal know-how left to deliver a genuine big "triple A" game, of the kind that leaves people in awe.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I believe In the Valley of Gods will come out and be good but I have no confidence in Valve proper to release something I'm interested in after Artifact and DOTA Underlords. They are just chasing multiplayer trends instead of coming up with innovations themselves. Actually very similiar to Blizzard and how nothing they make is exciting anymore.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I believe In the Valley of Gods will come out and be good but I have no confidence in Valve proper to release something I'm interested in after Artifact and DOTA Underlords. They are just chasing multiplayer trends instead of coming up with innovations themselves. Actually very similiar to Blizzard and how nothing they make is exciting anymore.
Valve are working with VR, so they are at the bleeding edge of innovation.

May 26, 2018
Kinda whatever right now. I don't have a headset so it doesn't mean much to me outside the mild excitement of watching the platform evolve.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if they try to do something original or just wholesale copy/buy out a pre-existing game/mod.

The former? Ehhh, faith's wavered. The latter? Well, it's practically their game development M.O. and I don't have a reason to believe they'd flub that.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Given that Valve is still all-in on teleport to move, to the point that the thumbstick on the Knuckles Controller was reportedly only added because other developers requested it, and as such is a rushed mess with shoddy QC... absolutely not.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll certainly deliver something. Will I want to play it?...probably not.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Given that Valve is still all-in on teleport to move, to the point that the thumbstick on the Knuckles Controller was reportedly only added because other developers requested it, and as such is a rushed mess with shoddy QC... absolutely not.
They aren't. Kerry Davis confirmed in the door talk that Valve is open to normal locomotion now.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve used to be trendsetters. I accepted long ago that they became a company chasing monetization scheme and genre trends.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
User Banned (3 Days) - History of Trolling & Console Warring
Valve is a game developer?!?!?!

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
What this thread will be.

*Valve isn't a game developer because they make/maintain games i don't like*

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting another game like HL. Maybe something akin to The Lab, which was really good, but more of an experiment.

I could see them buying another developer and delivering another traditional game that way too, they certainly have the resources to do so.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Kids probably don't even know who valve is cause steam is literally more popular than their own name.

I don't think they'll make big games anymore. They've had chances but they opted for smaller ones and chose to maintain their old games.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Are they buying a talented team and slapping the Valve name on it anytime soon? If not, then no.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Don't they have the cash to make the uber game of all time with the money steam is printing?

Lavatein

Sep 14, 2019
I'm more interested in Steam and the various ancillary technologies that Valve fund/work on, but I'm still confident that they can make amazing games.

Oct 26, 2017
Valve made several genre defining games and they currently have two of the best multiplayer games ever made in the history of the medium.

But yes, their next game will deliver.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Been playing a lot of Underlords beta, which is doing rather well. I don't think they'll fuck it up before official release. Dota 2 is possibly the best multiplayer game ever released (CS:GO is great game too, but I prefer the original). Artifact badly flopped and I never played it, but from what I've gathered it wasn't exactly an awful game either (it wasn't critically panned). So yeah, I definitely have faith and In the Valley of Gods is among my most anticipated titles just behind CP77. I'm not excited about their VR though, since I don't have the equipment. But I'm sure their VR titles will be good too, I think The Lab already showed some promise.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's difficult to have faith in Valve at the moment, their last major game was from 2011, Artifact & Underlords are smaller games though still count, still for Valve's size, they should have made at least 1 or 2 AAA games since Dota 2.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have confidence that their next game will raise the bar for vr games much like like hl2 raised it for pancake qames, and I can't wait. I'm not so sure it will be released this year.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Which sort of makes their decision about where to put the Index's thumb stick even weirder.
The hardware team supposedly has very little connection or collaboration with the software team. It's weird, but it's Valve. It's also possible that the change to allow smooth locomotion happened only in the past 2 years.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When I think of HL games I think of 'innovation in the FPS genre.' Going the VR route with the title would be risky, but sounds about right.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would honestly be shocked if they even put out another game tbh

Dota Underlords releases next month.

And I think their VR game will be phenomenal, I'm just afraid that it won't launch this year.As an Index owner, I'm very frustrated Valve hasn't shipped anything for it.

Edit: Also, I get really irritated when people say Dota 2 is a "small" game. On a high-end PC Dota looks like a living diorama, and the attention to detail in the environments, character animations and voice acting alone is way more time and effort than what goes into most AAA games. Never mind that Valve are unafraid to tinker with the map, items and mechanics, almost always doing a great job and keeping the game competitive and viable for the millions-dollar tournament they put on themselves each year.

Dota is a gargantuan amount of work, I'm sure to the detriment of CSGO, which rarely sees content updates, and TF2, which may as well be dead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to have faith in Valve at the moment, their last major game was from 2011, Artifact & Underlords are smaller games though still count, still for Valve's size, they should have made at least 1 or 2 AAA games since Dota 2.
I mean, Valve really isn't THAT big. They're about the size of Naughty Dog, and they maintain and develop like 10 different products/technologies at the same time, so they're spread too thin.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I voted yes, but I meant yes as in, yes it'll get released. I have no interest in an Artifact expansion.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I hope their VR game will be a proper "big" game by any standard not only VR. But I can't say I feel confident it will be... at all.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
now comes the question will they deliver, the way the old Valve did?

The old Valve that did big AAA single player games? No, that time is gone and it's not coming back. They would need huge teams to compete in that space today and unless they've grown significantly since last I checked, Valve is still a relatively small company. And it likely couldn't be monetized as well as their service games anyway, so I doubt they're gonna pursue that again.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
The old Valve that did big AAA single player games? No, that time is gone and it's not coming back. They would need huge teams to compete in that space today and unless they've grown significantly since last I checked, Valve is still a relatively small company. And it likely couldn't be monetized as well as their service games anyway, so I doubt they're gonna pursue that again.

The Portal 2 team had 40 people.

You don't need thousand person Ubisoft sized teams to pull off AAA games.

Jan 15, 2018
I think they've produced enough quality to earn the benefit of the doubt, when the day comes that they release another big game, it'll be great. Jay Pinkerton and Eric Wolpaw are working at Valve again too, them along with the talent at Campo Santo have me very interested in the future.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The Portal 2 team had 40 people.

You don't need thousand person Ubisoft sized teams to pull off AAA games.

And back then 40 was enough. Doing something like Half-Life 3 today, would require a much bigger team to compete, which was my point. They used to be big enough that even though the company was only roughly 300 people, they could do both games and manage Steam. Today Steam is huge, they have a ton of other development projects and AAA games require more people, while Valve is still a relatively small company (at least last I checked). They would need to outsource a lot (which I suppose is true of many AAA games), because in-house I doubt they have the numbers for it.

statha

Feb 15, 2018
Well i'd guess they do good (not great) job in that VR game, but I still havent found a killer-app to sell VR for me (apart from SimRacing), and I doubt this is.