• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Valve deliver on their next released game?

• Yes.

Votes: 191 31.2%
  • No.

Votes: 201 32.8%
  • They will never release another game.

Votes: 220 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So it's still a bit of a hush hush secret (well not really, just not well known) that Valve has a deadline for a flagship VR game in 2019. It's coming to the end of 2019 so they're definitely hitting it close. I still have faith that it will release either this year or early next, but now comes the question will they deliver, the way the old Valve did?

Artifact is obviously on life support at this point, though Valve does appear to be working on a relaunch or a 2.0 of sorts. DOTA Underlords has been successful for what it is but is still an ongoing process. I know a lot of people want Valve to revisit their old IPs though, in classic Valve singleplayer fashion. That's what this poll is about.

I should note In The Valley of Gods is a thing as well, though it's unclear just how much Valve will influence the game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I still have a feeling it's Half Life 3 and they're gonna almost shadow drop it to avoid creating expectations

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I am skeptical valve will make something on the scale they have in the past, in the foreseeable future. Not super interested in VR right now, so kind of not counting it.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that bought Artifact. Not much.

Left 4 Dead 3 seems to have disappeared from the surface of the earth too.

The VR game will probably miss deadline (like usual with them) and I doubt it's going to be as amazing as people expect it to be.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware that Valve has deadlines for any of its games.

After they dropped the ball with Artifact, I'm not sure if they're really capable of reading the game market and delivering something compelling to today's consumer.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just amazed that they have not put out any games for PS4 or Xbox One.

Even just a rerelease of their old games. I'm sure a Portal 1/2 bundle, or a L4D 1/2 bundle would do great. Some of these are BC on Xbox One, but they did have to scale back the graphics on these games to get them running on Xbox 360. Modern ports would be great to have.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm sure they'll keep making and releasing games, but in terms of delivering, creating an exciting and large singleplayer game takes six years of singular focus and dedication (not to mention large scale budget for all these years), and no I don't think Valve has it in them anymore. Just gaas games that can be released in early access and updated, or smaller experimental games. I'm not sure they can even finish a previously indie game like Valley of the Gods.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I voted 3 because they will never release another "AAA" game. You will get small projects or a new meta multiplayer game one day.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh i don't really care anymore. They stopped making games that appeal to me. Last one was Portal 2.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, I'm most curious how Valve's influence will affect ITVOG. It is entirely counter to the sort of thing they'd bother releasing, so I think they'll add a secondary revenue stream to it somehow.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
idk, that valve is seemingly long gone. orange box was a loooooooooong time ago. and artifact wasn't too long ago.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I have faith it'll be something that I don't care about chasing either some weird ass multiplayer monetization or some vr exclusive crap.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Whether it's well executed or not, I'm almost certain it will be something I do not want or care about. It will probably revolve around a "market" and multiplayer interaction, neither of which I'm really interested in.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
None. Virtually everything after Portal 2 has undermined my confidence in them as a game developer.

That's not to say I don't have an open mind. I am willing - and want - to be proven wrong. I'm just waiting until they deliver something of "Valve quality". Until then, promises, hints, etc. mean nothing considering their decline in game output.

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, no. I don't trust Valve and I don't trust that anything will live up to their legacy. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I don't think it's gonna happen (if they even make games anymore)

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Well I sort of have two answers to this.

1) Do I believe that Valve can still deliver a solid-to-great game that some people will enjoy a great deal? Certainly.

2) Do I think that I personally will have any interest in said game? Nope.

Zero interest in VR and little to no interest in multiplayer means that Valve's output simply isn't for me anymore (and it hasn't been for the better part of a decade at this point).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just amazed that they have not put out any games for PS4 or Xbox One.

Even just a rerelease of their old games. I'm sure a Portal 1/2 bundle, or a L4D 1/2 bundle would do great. Some of these are BC on Xbox One, but they did have to scale back the graphics on these games to get them running on Xbox 360. Modern ports would be great to have.

orange box was before everybody and their grandma had a steam account and those games ran on a potato.

it's a different ballgame now, they want people using steam above all else. though something like Portal for Switch or whatever would be a no brainer, probably not something they completely ruled out

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
orange box was before everybody and their grandma had a steam account and those games ran on a potato.

it's a different ballgame now, they want people using steam above all else. though something like Portal for Switch or whatever would be a no brainer, probably not something they completely ruled out
Still kinda bizarre that we got Bridge Constructor Portal on Switch but not actual Portal.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Valve's Kerry Davis gave a talk a few weeks ago about working on their big VR game:

A lot of the talk is about the challenges in getting doors to work well in VR. Given their attention to detail on something that most would consider pretty simple or put very little thought into I imagine HLVR is going to be a very impressive game.

Of course the announcement thread for HLVR is going to be a shit-show since most people don't realize the next Half Life game is going to be a VR game.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I voted 3 but only because I can't see valve making something I'm interested in ever again anyway.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
A lot of the talk is about the challenges in getting doors to work well in VR. Given their attention to detail on something that most would consider pretty simple or put very little thought into I imagine HLVR is going to be a very impressive game.

Yes. Valve is doing this because they believe in VR. They want to change the VR gaming landscape, so whatever angle they take with HL and their other games, it should be really interesting.

Of course the announcement thread for HLVR is going to be a shit-show since most people don't realize the next Half Life game is going to be a VR game.

Yep, but then a lot of them will cave and buy a headset then proceed to laugh at their old silly ways.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It will probably be a multiplayer focused or VR focused title that I do not care for.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
If it's another Counter-Strike, then sure. Anything else and I'm not so sure.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see Valve putting out a game called Half Life 3 that would require VR.

I can see them putting out a game called Half Life 3 that would be heavily designed around VR, but would still support standard monitors and controls.

If it required VR, they'd just be inviting people to hack it to work without VR, too.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it's still a bit of a hush hush secret (well not really, just not well known) that Valve has a deadline for a flagship VR game in 2019. It's coming to the end of 2019 so they're definitely hitting it close. I still have faith that it will release either this year or early next, but now comes the question will they deliver, the way the old Valve did?

Frankly I find the "Valve exclusive VR game" to be less believable than HL3 being actually made. And that says something, I think.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see Valve putting out a game called Half Life 3 that would require VR.

I can see them putting out a game called Half Life 3 that would be heavily designed around VR, but would still support standard monitors and controls.

If it required VR, they'd just be inviting people to hack it to work without VR, too.

Why would Valve care if people modded their VR game to work without VR? Valve has always been fine with people modding their games. I wouldn't be surprised if Half Life VR finally ships with the Source 2 SDK specifically so people can mod it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Valve's Kerry Davis gave a talk a few weeks ago about working on their big VR game:

Watching that video, that's clearly Source SDK 2. I don't care whether Valve ever finishes a game. Where's my Source SDK 2, Valve?!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why would Valve care if people modded their VR game to work without VR? Valve has always been fine with people modding their games. I wouldn't be surprised if Half Life VR finally ships with the Source 2 SDK specifically so people can mod it.

I don't think they would object, I just think that it would be preferable for them to officially support standard play + VR play, since they won't really be able to force people to use VR.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that video, that's clearly Source SDK 2. I don't care whether Valve ever finishes a game. Where's my Source SDK 2, Valve?!

I bet it will be released with or shortly after their VR game is released so people can start modding it right away.
I think the big problem with Source 2 is Valve only has like 350 employees, I doubt more than 6-12 make Source 2 their primary focus at Valve. It's probably a lot higher right now since it seems like they're in a nearly all hands on deck mode for HLVR but they're never going to be able to catch up with the engines that other companies have already put out due to the way Valve operates.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The full release of Underlords is coming up and that's been great so far so sure, I have faith.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I am not sure if Valve has the structure or manpower to develope a AAA like half life, but they will release smaller games.