• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you have these issues with your PS5?

• My PS5 HAS coil whine that is noticeable from more than a foot away.

Votes: 370 22.1%
  • My PS5 does NOT have noticeable coil whine.

Votes: 1,192 71.2%
  • My Dualsense HAS stick drift

Votes: 156 9.3%
  • My Dualsense does NOT have stick drift

Votes: 1,324 79.1%
  • I AM having problems with rest mode and/or external storage.

Votes: 305 18.2%
  • I am NOT having problems with rest mode and/or external storage.

Votes: 1,201 71.7%

• Total voters

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
Mine has coil whine, but it doesn't bother me since I can't hear it unless there's a quite section in a game.

I had one strange issue with rest mode a couple weeks after launch but it's not happened again since.
PS5 was in rest mode, it beeped and turned on. then quickly shut itself down completely and wouldn't turn back on until I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in.
Like I said though, not happened again since so I'm not too concerned.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Zero on all fronts.
My daugher has like 170 hours of astrobot, for context.
I finished Spiderman. And played FIFA heavily.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I have a slight coil whine and a very very small amount of drift, which I can only assume will get worse as time goes on.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No problems outside a single crash with rest mode right after launch.
We use the PS5 daily.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I've had the thing where sometimes I have to hit the power button more than once to get the PS5 to turn on for some reason, but aside from that no issues to report yet.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm usually very sensitive to coil whine across all types of devices, but for the PS5 it's so quiet that it doesn't bother me at all.

What my PS5 suffers from however is green flickering across the TV screen sometimes. TV, AV Receiver and cables are fine, the problem definitely comes from the PS5 or its HDMI port.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
No hardware issues for me - no coil whine, no issues with the controller.

I do have a software issue with rest mode not working well. Miles Morales and Demon Souls will often either crash, or be closed when I turn the console on after being in rest mode

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
DualSense controller that came with the system is drifting badly in both sticks.

Otherwise I use rest mode all the time with no issues, and no issues with coil whine as well luckily.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is doing pretty well so far. No real issues to complain about.

Oct 27, 2017
No problems here, had a couple glitches in SM:MM and that is it really - I seem to have dodged - for now - a lot of the issues people seem to be experiencing. Had some problems with upgrade path for games like FIFA initially but those have been ironed out too.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only had the rest mode issue where when you come back from rest mode the UI is awfully slow.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any of the issues with my PS5. Without these forums I wouldn't even have heard about problems as my brother and friends that have a PS5 don't have any problems either.

Linkie3

Feb 8, 2019
I have a loud fan (probably Nidec, i didn't open the console yet to see). I have no other problems, and have a Samsung T7 external SSD connected to the console all the time.

Jun 18, 2020
None of these issues, but my PS5 will consistently disconnect from the Wifi when it is downloading something. The current network will stop working, and the PS5 will be unable to connect to or find any network.

I've read about this issue happening to many others online, so I'm surprised it's not listed here.

Gooner

Oct 15, 2020
Had none of these issues in the poll, only issue I have encountered is deleted games still showing on the Home Screen, some of which I can't even get rid of by just starting the install again then deleting through that.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
No noise whatsoever. No problems with the controller whatsoever. External storage had one issue with one game file being corrupted when I first plugged it in and I had to download the game again. It's worked perfectly ever since.

It's been a fantastic three months with this system.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure is it coil whine or fan spinning weirdly but I can hear it getting louder when I use photomode in Control.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
No drift here. Mine has coil whine but not noticeable as it's just a quiet hum on par with the fan spinning. Having a hell of a time with external storage/rest mode.

At first I had random rest mode shutdown with a no brand VIA chipset enclosure with 1tb ssd. I tried with different chipset drive docks but both Jmicron and Asmedia ones did the same thing. After giving up on external drives, the console sometimes shuts down in rest mode even without an external drive plugged in. I've just given up on rest mode for now. At least there are no problems when actively using the console.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Coil whine here, but after 3 ps5 they all of them have it in a different way.... we will get a revision one day....

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
When I first got it I had problems with rest mode and Miles Morales but no problems for a long while now.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The coil whine seems to have gone down in my case so I'm considering it as not an issue for now, and besides 3 crashes (2 on Miles Morales, which seemed to be a software fault and 1 while playing Control), it's all been good so far and I've been using rest mode since day 1.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
-Haven't noticed coil whine, though I haven't really put my ear up to it to recognize it.
-Haven't noticed any stick drift with either of my two dualsense controllers.

-Have not used rest mode since I didn't want to take any chances after others' experiences.
-Have not tried using external storage.

The only issues I've encountered so far are some PS4 physical games cause the system to get pretty loud periodically while reading the disc, and at one point when turning the console on, I had a blank screen with the background, but no icons. Holding the power button to turn it off and then on again fixed that.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only problems I have with my PS5 are:

1. Forced HDR mode in the UI and non-HDR content
2. L O U D drive spinning the disc every hour or so even if I don't have the game open and am doing something else entirely.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
Mine has coil whine but I can only hear it from right beside it. From where I usually sit the console is silent. The latest update fixed my rest mode issue. I was having an annoying issue where it wouldnt wake up from rest and I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Only issue I have is my LAN connection flapping at random. It was annoying enough that I had to play Demon's Souls in offline mode for a bit because the problem would kick me out of the game whenever it happened.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I threw my votes in for the poll. Stick drift is the only issue I really had, and I partially attribute that to Fortnite as it happened on the right stick. I played at least 30 hours of Fortnite on PS5 so I really hammered R3 in the process.

The process to try getting a replacement from Sony was awful. They want you to provide your own box, pay for shipping, and offer no advance replacement options.

I just opted to go buy a new controller from Best Buy and then return my drift controller in the box. It feels pretty sad that I had to rely on Best Buy here but what can you do... No issues since I got the new controller, but I've also stopped playing Fortnite for now.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I have problems with rest mode and external storage. It's not 100% reproductible (although it always happens after an update). It's more stable than on Series X, though. In that case I had to reformat my drive twice already as it stopped launching some games. The external SSD is fine, I checked it on my PC with HD Tune.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a new issue where the system suddenly displays washed out colors (whether on the home screen or in a game). A system restart fixes it. Flicking another setting on or off probably fixes it too but I haven't investigated that yet. All good otherwise!

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No stick drift, no noticeable coil whine and no issues with rest mode. I don't have an external plugged in at the moment and only using internal storage.

I did have issues with external storage and rest mode during launch but I'm thinking it was the external SSD I used and failed. Rest mode has been fixed with subsequent updates because I've been using it for months without issue now with both PS4 and PS5 games suspended.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I have coil whine but it's only noticeable when you're pretty much sitting right next to the console. Everything else has been good đź‘Ť

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Mild coil whine, but otherwise my main issue is the loud disc drive. Demon's Souls has also crashed more than once, which I don't think I've ever seen with a console game before.

Though when I first took it out of the box, I did have an issue where doing basically anything, even scrolling around the UI, would cause the system to constantly reset and rebuild the database, but a total factory reset seemed to solve that issue.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just coil whine, doesn't affect me as I never play without headphones. It is quite loud sometimes tho.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Mine is just a LITTLE louder than I would like. Smooth sailing aside from that. Aside from multiple Cold War crashes.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
No coil whine. Console is insanely quiet (I sit about 8 feet from it). No drift. No rest mode issues. Been using an external since day one. Only a couple of crashes, but none since the first week or two. Only controller issue is one of my controllers has an X button that's mildly sticky, but I bought some WD-40 contact cleaner for it. Need to use it.

When are they gonna fix that stupid fucking disc spinning randomly every 20 minutes thing?

Hopefully in the first big update.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Had issues with an external SSD early on 1 -rebuilds - and haven't tried again. No coil whine or stick drift. That's a pretty high incidence of those issues assuming they're close to accurate.