• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you have these issues with your PS5?

• My PS5 HAS coil whine that is noticeable from more than a foot away.

Votes: 370 22.1%
  • My PS5 does NOT have noticeable coil whine.

Votes: 1,192 71.2%
  • My Dualsense HAS stick drift

Votes: 156 9.3%
  • My Dualsense does NOT have stick drift

Votes: 1,324 79.1%
  • I AM having problems with rest mode and/or external storage.

Votes: 305 18.2%
  • I am NOT having problems with rest mode and/or external storage.

Votes: 1,201 71.7%

• Total voters

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
The one issue I have is randomly clicking on a store item will give me "Sorry nothing is here" or similar message. Restarting fixes it but still it's kind of annoying.

For drift I'd recommend installing Apex. The firing range will let you fiddle with the deadzone sensitivity and you can see just how bad they are on your controller specifically.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I do not have any of these issues...BUT my PS5 has issues with ray tracing lol. I can only play Miles in performance mode (which is great). But the second I switch to performance RT or fidelity (whatever the graphics one is with full RT) the game immediately freezes. I can't quit and get an error and then send the error to Sony. I can't even select photo mode cause it immediately freezes (since photo mode has rt).

Demon's Souls works fine but no rt. The Villages demo freezes about 5 min in every time (rt). I have to try some PS4 games with rt still. But Astro's Playroom has rt and I platinum'd that with no issues! smh
WTF, that sucks. That seems like a significant issue.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
I've had some obnoxiously loud coil whine since the 2nd week I had the system (at least I assume it's coil whine but not sure exactly what that sounds like) and my PS5 has yelled at me for not shutting down properly more times than I can count when I've gone to wake it up from rest mode. So far, not very impressed from a hardware perspective. I understand it's the first run of consoles so buyer beware and all that, especially in the pandemic, but I was very ready to be done with loud consoles after the PS4 Pro. My PS5 hasn't reached that level but it can definitely be distracting at times.

Jul 14, 2020
I didn't use rest mode for a while after getting it, being as I moved the external from my ps4 and read about the issues, I figured it was fast enough to cold boot and wait for a few firmware updates. I finally started using rest mode about a month ago to give it a shot and (knock on wood) no issues so far. It does make for a smoother jump in and out experience.

Now one issue I've seen a few times (aside from the disc drive redline revs) are corrupted installs or downloads on the external hd. There were a handful of previously installed games on the external that lost their icon and ability to play on the ps5, showing as corrupted,, and a couple issues with patching games on the external (it's a 2tb drive with more than half free so it's not a space thing). It's not a big deal, just delete and reinstall, but it is a annoying.

Other than that I can't say I've ever noticed any coil whine unless I was right next to it trying to listen for it, and haven't really heard the fans much at all. Now please patch the disc drive spinning up every hour when not playing a disc game.

edit: I was happy they patched the "install ps4 version from disc every single time even though you installed the ps5 version and have no reason to use any disc space on the ps4 version ever again"

Byronman

Oct 28, 2017
I had problems with rest mode/usb drive a while ago, when I was playing Miles Morales. Since then, I finished the game and patched the system multiple times, and things have been alright. I don't know if it's because of the system upgrades or the issue was with this game especially.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think my PS5 may have coil whine, but even while sitting beside it I can barely hear it. Not really an issue for me.

What DOES piss me off is fans spinning in rest mode. My PS5 fans are on while in rest mode when USB ports are powered. It's not THAT loud when I'm up, but it's super annoying when I am trying to sleep.

No drifting sticks, but I haven't played a whole lot on my PS5 yet. What IS concerning is my R2 is looser already than my L2.

Only PS5 games I played were astrobot and maybe an hour of Destruction All stars, so it's not the usage of adaptive triggers that messed it up. I was playing the PS4 version of Spiderman, and noticed it when I was about to 100% the game. It's a game where you naturally hold down R2, and by the time I was almost down with the game I noticed that when I focus and compare the two triggers, the L2 is indeed tighter, maybe by 5-10%. Considering I haven't used the controller much, and all I did was hold down R2 for it to already lose about 10% of its resistance, I'm very concerned with the trigger longevity.

As for rest mode, I haven't had any issues, but my console bugs the fuck out when I plug in a USB stick to transfer off gameplay clips. Whether it's in any of the USB A ports or the C port, it keeps thinking I'm trying to plug in a full extended storage harddrive, my disc drive says it has an incompatible disc in (even when there isn't anything in the disc drive) and I can't see my PS5's internal storage anymore. I have to unplug, reset to fix (and after boot it STILL tells me that I didn't power it off properly). I have an actual external SSD but I have no desire to test it out and brick my console.(EDIT: I used multiple USB drives as well. Though this was about a month ago, I haven't tried since).

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Only issue I have is about once every two weeks the PS5 is randomly completely powered off and I have to click the power button twice for it to turn on.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No issues with coil whine or rest mode. One of my 2 DualSense controllers has a bit of stick drift to the left. I already called Sony and will be sending it in shortly under warranty. No big deal for me.

Melmer

Sep 18, 2020
UK
None of those problem.

although the controller charger cable was faulty and would stop charging whilst I was playing. Took me a while to figure out what the issue was. (Could've been USB port, cable or controller) bought a new 3rd party usb-c cable from Amazon and all working fine now.

plus I've had, and still have, lots of issues with my wired headphones. Lots of distortion and cracking. Playing the club level in hitman 3 for example, the bass of the music was a distorted crackling mess. Not sure if the issue is with 3D sound... I can't be bothered to experiment for an hour to find out what the actual issue is. I've read there's an issue with having Bluetooth devices nearby? Which could be the problem although I don't think so.

Last edited:

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I have coil whine although it's not noticeable during gameplay with a 5.1 home theatre system. The only time I hear it is when I enter photo mode and the music/audio is lowered/off, and even then it's like a "did I just hear that?" kind of thing, it isn't loud or annoying at all.

I'm pretty sure every PS5 has coil whine to some extent.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't list disk drive sound issues. I had to get my PS5 replaced because of that.

Last edited:

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
Only issue I have is that my PS5 will disconnect from the internet in rest mode when connected via ethernet.

When I wake the system, it takes like 20 seconds for it to connect to the internet. All updates and stuff will only start once I turn on the system. I don't have this problem with my Series X or PS4 which are also hard wired.

The problem also doesn't occur when connected to wifi.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
No coil whine or anything. But I did notice if I am sitting in PURE silence right near the console, I hear this little beeping booping sound that makes me uncomfortable because it just sounds like distant music...

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've had 2 problems so far

1) right back trigger has become loose? Idk how to describe it

2) when I tried to load an account (like from waking it up, chose my account), it just didn't load anything. It was a grey screen. DIDNT respond to controller input, wouldn't turn off even when I held down the power button on the system. I let it sit for a few minutes then it turned itself off. No problems since 🤷🏻‍♀️

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Mine just noisy, which I assume is coil whine. It's even noisy in Rest mode, which is insane. That was the one instance the PS4 was silent. And even that now makes a noticeable noise.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I have one drifting stick on one of two controllers.

When coming out of rest mode the OS lags and is unusable until you reset the system, so there's no point using rest mode.

This is going to be a repeat of the PS4 where I get used to never using rest mode so still never using it if it gets fixed.

No coil whine or drift, but my controllers lose sync quite often and just lag (for lack of a better word). I'll be spinning the camera around a bit and it gets stuck and spins around like crazy as if I'm still spinning the camera or my character will keep walking even though I've quit pressing the analogue stick. It's very frustrating, but turning my PS5 off and back on seems to fix it for a day or so.
This is exactly what my 'drifting' controller does.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Very loud coil whine, easily noticeable from 8 feet away (when playing Demon's Souls or Astro's Playroom, BC mode is relatively quiet). If the game is being silent I can even hear it buzzing wearing my open back headphones.

No other issues though.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Only had problems with it recognising my external harddrive when I had a disc inside the console.

Seems to be gone with the current or previous patch. Haven't had it since.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Zero issues.

The only problem I had was launching Demons Souls for the first time, did t go through the splash screen. A reboot solved it though.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I've had occasional issues with the external storage disconnecting, but it could have to do with my very slow external drive in a cheap enclosure. Trying to play most PS4 games directly from it is terrible (slower load times than on PS4 internal drive, streaming issues, etc.). I need a faster drive so hopefully Sony fixes the connection issues by the time I get one so I don't have to keep transferring games to the SSD (also very slow).

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Knock on wood, but my PS5 has had no real problems so far. A software crash here and there in the early weeks but other than that it has been fine.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
My data won't be representative.

While I don't have any coil whine, I barely use my DualSense with it (I mostly play PS4 games) and I always turn the system OFF. Haven't put it in rest once.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Mine just noisy, which I assume is coil whine. It's even noisy in Rest mode, which is insane. That was the one instance the PS4 was silent. And even that now makes a noticeable noise.

Rest mode noise if it's high pitched is the fan, you got a Nidec.

PS5 comes with 3 possible fans: Nidec, Delta and NMB.

Nidec fans are noisier than the other 2 and can make a high pitched sound, even in rest mode.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
No issues, though what exactly are the rest mode problems people are having? I had been using rest mode exclusively until yesterday, when the PS5 randomly turned itself off while in rest. Is that the issue people were having? Since then I've been just turning it off, which considering it doesn't take much longer to boot up from off I'm going to just do from now on anyway.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I have a noisy fan (that a i fixed myself byt puting there some rubber washers, the problem was vibration on the case); my mais grip has being random crashes (had to factory reset twice already) on spider mas games and on OS itself, and my R2 button is loosing resistance :/

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
On my ps5 I have light coil whine (can't hear from normal seating), loud ass disk drive, loud ass dual sense triggers compared to day 1, right trigger noticeably less tight than left, and lots of game crashes.

Everything technically works but I can't wait for a ps5 slim revision so I can chuck this thing.

My brothers ps5 is louder then mine fan wise, he has worse triggers and sticky buttons, and has had weird external issues requiring unplugs but nothing catastrophic.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I don't have any if those issues but my fan is a bit annoying (it isn't coil whine) . Might have to check if it is that sticker issue someday.

Well I suppose I could have coil whine but can't hear it over the fan.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I'm glad that I have none if these issues, worst that happened was a single crash during a Miles Morales cutscene, all other games ran smooth for me.
I have put my console in rest mode probably over 100 times by now with no issues.

I almost forgot, when I start a game from a disc, the disc drive does get really noisy for a few seconds before going back to normal.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Poll needs a noisy disc drive option.
I would, but I'm almost certain it's a universal issue. Unless you mean the insanely noisy ones that are clearly not normal. But I've only heard very isolated cases of that.

The "normal" noise level of the disc drive is certainly louder than other consoles' drives.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Can someone explain why the dualsense doesnt charge on anything but the ps5 usb?
If i use my phone charger it doesnt light up. If i plug it into my pc it lights up like it's charging but never stops flashing.

EDIT: mine has coil wine, every ps5 ive encountered has it to some degree. even the series x has it if you put your ear to the plastic on the bottom(horizontal). im guessing microsoft did a better job negating the issue.
luckily so far it's only noticeable if you put your ear towards the console and you're within a foot away. the fan in mine is also a bit gritty sounding but again only noticeable next to the machine. it's a shame it's not up to par on quality of the series x or as quiet overall but im happy its not bad like some of the units out there.

Last edited:

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Only real issue I've had was Cyberpunk crashing at least once an hour, but you know... Cyberpunk...

I do get the occasional noisy disc drive as well, but it seems like most PS5's have this issue.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
The only problem I have is not having anything to play after beating Demon's Souls but I guess I should be thankful not to have any of the other issues that posters here are reporting. I also never use rest mode on my consoles or PC so it minimizes the risk of that messing up.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Can someone explain why the dualsense doesnt charge on anything but the ps5 usb?
If i use my phone charger it doesnt light up. If i plug it into my pc it lights up like it's charging but never stops flashing.
It charges fine for me connected to an AC charger and a random USB C cable.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
My PS5 experience so far (daily player):
  • no noticable coil whine
  • I do hear the hum of the fan when it spins up, but its perfectly acceptable for me (especially compared to the Pro)
  • no issues with external storage (Samsung T7) or restmode
  • I did have stickdrift. Returned the controller at the store and they just gave me a new one.
  • I've almost platinumed Miles Morales, I did have 1 single crash.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I bought 2 PS5s on launch. One I kept and one went to a friend. I didn't even open the box for the second one just gave it to him. Mine has been fine, it makes a noise but I'm not convinced it's coil whine and it's not too loud. My friends one, first the controller R2 button broke, he got that replaced by Sony, and more recently the console itself developed a video output error and now that's also been replaced by Sony. So it's a real 50/50 experience for me.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my DualSense controllers is starting to occasionally drift upward.

My Blu-ray drive when the console is switched on is the loudest in any console I have ever owned and it actually got worse after a software update. The hourly spin is also just as loud and stupidly annoying.

I can also only assume I have coil whine, because my son says he can hear the console making noises while he plays. I have mild tinnitus though, so I might not be able to detect it?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Man I cannot believe people that are experiencing no whine...am I just more susceptible to hearing it? I've tried 4 PS5s and they've all had it to some degree.
Might just be luck of the draw? Mine is absolutely silent. If I hold my head near it, like an inch I can hear a faint hum but that's it.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
None of these issues, haven't tried the external drive though, no need, as I usually play one game, finish it, and then uninstall it.