• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have these issues with your PS5?

• My PS5 HAS coil whine that is noticeable from more than a foot away.

Votes: 370 22.1%
  • My PS5 does NOT have noticeable coil whine.

Votes: 1,192 71.2%
  • My Dualsense HAS stick drift

Votes: 156 9.3%
  • My Dualsense does NOT have stick drift

Votes: 1,324 79.1%
  • I AM having problems with rest mode and/or external storage.

Votes: 305 18.2%
  • I am NOT having problems with rest mode and/or external storage.

Votes: 1,201 71.7%

• Total voters

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a PS5, please take a second to answer this simple poll. Please answer for all three issues. If you don't have any issues with your PS5, please answer the poll choices correspondingly with each issue.

I've been curious about how widespread these issues are, so I figured a a poll would be helpful to those who don't yet have a PS5 and are concerned whether they should even when the opportunity to purchase presents itself.

Thanks to everyone that participates. I like data, and it's hard to get an idea of how widespread this stuff is when typically only the people that are having issues talk about it.

Note: I am no longer requesting every PS5 owner to answer the Rest Mode question. Please only answer if you've used this function within the last month, as firmware updates over the first couple months since launch may have alleviated some issues. So, if you stopped using rest mode early on, either because you had issues with it or because of issues you've heard about, please skip the rest mode question.

Last edited:

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No problems for me. It has been an amazing experience since day 1.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No coil whine or drifting.

Only issues I've had are Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales freezing up on me like crazy throughout my playthroughs.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My system loves to put itself into rest mode in the middle of playing a game. Never had any external storage hooked up.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Does stick drift cover what seems to be a small deadzone when pushing the analogue stick up? I had it towards the end of Control and sometimes during Kingdom Hearts 3 where running would stop and start, as if I quickly stopped holding the stick forward and then pushed back on it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Man I cannot believe people that are experiencing no whine...am I just more susceptible to hearing it? I've tried 4 PS5s and they've all had it to some degree.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I do not have any of these issues...BUT my PS5 has issues with ray tracing lol. I can only play Miles in performance mode (which is great). But the second I switch to performance RT or fidelity (whatever the graphics one is with full RT) the game immediately freezes. I can't quit and get an error and then send the error to Sony. I can't even select photo mode cause it immediately freezes (since photo mode has rt).

Demon's Souls works fine but no rt. The Villages demo freezes about 5 min in every time (rt). I have to try some PS4 games with rt still. But Astro's Playroom has rt and I platinum'd that with no issues! smh

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
No coil whine or stick drifts thankfully. Rest mode is ok overall too. No crashes or anything of that matter but my controller won't sync if I turn the PS5 on from restmode even if I use the dualsense to turn it on. I have to shut it down entirely then turn it on again. Not a big deal compared to other issues but hopefully it can be solved soon.

Hulkamania78

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester UK
Mine had been fine since day one until a couple of weeks ago and the Coil Whine has now intermittently started. Doesn't last long . I've spoke to Sony support and they have said I need to return for repair/replacement. Gutted as I've spent far more time on my PS5 than XSX .
I've had no controller issues yet .

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I had issues with rest mode two or three times, with a PS4 game. I'm now avoiding rest mode with PS4 games.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Other than one system crash, it's been smooth and it hasn't crashed once since the first firmware update. It has coil whine but it's not much louder than similar systems. No issues with my two controllers. I have only used rest mode a couple times but no issues.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I have not had any issues. I feel fortunate. It's weird how random people's issues seem to be.

Man I cannot believe people that are experiencing no whine...am I just more susceptible to hearing it? I've tried 4 PS5s and they've all had it to some degree.

It's noticeable if I'm inches away from the console. It's inaudible from where I sit.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
No issues on coil whine or drifting, but I heard a lot of issues on rest mode so I've only used it once by accident and it didn't give me any issues but I have not used it again.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
My PS5 makes a slight high pitched noise in rest mode. Doesn't really bothers me too much, but still, would be nice to know if it's dying or something.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
My only issue is that my disc drive is extremely loud, or at least what I think is the disc drive.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Only issue here was some crashing but that was only in its first couple of weeks, I guess the patches has fixed most of it since I haven't had the same issues.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
No coil whine or drift, but my controllers lose sync quite often and just lag (for lack of a better word). I'll be spinning the camera around a bit and it gets stuck and spins around like crazy as if I'm still spinning the camera or my character will keep walking even though I've quit pressing the analogue stick. It's very frustrating, but turning my PS5 off and back on seems to fix it for a day or so.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I have not had any issues. I feel fortunate. It's weird how random people's issues seem to be.

It's noticeable if I'm inches away from the console. It's inaudible from where I sit.
Mine is pretty much like this. However if there's zero sound coming from the game at the time, and I focus really hard, I can hear just a faint sound. I'm super anal about certain things so now it's going to bother me forever. But at least it's better than my base PS4

No coil whine or drift, but my controllers lose sync quite often and just lag (for lack of a better word). I'll be spinning the camera around a bit and it gets stuck and spins around like crazy like it gets stuck thinking I'm still spinning the camera or my character will keep walking even though I've quit pressing the analogue stick. It's very frustrating, but turning my PS5 off and back on seems to fix it for a day or so.
Mine used to do this when I used Rest Mode while having an external HDD plugged in, even though I was playing a PS5 game. Zero issues ever since either I unplugged the HDD, or stopped using Rest Mode. Not sure which.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
No coil whine or drifting but I have had a few issues with my external HDD not being recognised and then needing to be repaired once it detects it. I suspect one of the causes is if it's transferring data (downloading, verifying, etc) to the external drive while you're playing a game because almost every crash has been while its been verifying or downloading patches for my PS4 games. The only time it wasn't was when it was in rest mode, I booted it up and I got an error telling me the external drive had been removed. But I haven't had one of those errors in over a month, so it's not something I'm worried about.

Edit: Oh, I've had the Dual Sense glitching out and not recognising inputs about a month ago as well. Hasn't happened since then though.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I realize now that the rest mode poll results may not be entirely accurate. While I ask every PS5 owner to answer all three questions, there are some that have had issues with rest mode early on and stopped using it since then, thus not being able to accurately answer the question.

Because of this, I will no longer ask that you answer the rest mode question UNLESS you have used this function within the past month.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is pretty much like this. However if there's zero sound coming from the game at the time, and I focus really hard, I can hear just a faint sound. I'm super anal about certain things so now it's going to bother me forever. But at least it's better than my base PS4

Mine used to do this when I used Rest Mode while having an external HDD plugged in, even though I was playing a PS5 game. Zero issues ever since either I unplugged the HDD, or stopped using Rest Mode. Not sure which.

Mine did it before using an external HDD. Rest mode seems to make it happen more often, but it has happened from a cold start. I was avoiding using the hdd and rest mode early on based on reports of crashes etc.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
None of those issues, but I have had some crashes. Not many, but I never had any on my PS4 Pro, though I'm sure by the time I bought that those issues had been ironed out so the same will probably happen for the ps5.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
you should add extremely loud disc drive

That's a universal problem.

Sure hope they fix that, though. I think it's sporadically checking whether the disc is in there, but surely they can spin it as a lower RPM to check that. It's way too loud.

nope, the disc drive even spins up when you are playing a completely different digital game
it makes no sense at all

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
you should add extremely loud disc drive

nope, the disc drive even spins up when you are playing a completely different digital game
it makes no sense at all
Yeah, you're right, but I was assuming that it was checking it anyway so that you can instantly start up the game even if you're playing something else.

Regardless, it's too loud and annoying, but it's universal, so there's no reason to add it here.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Coil whine is quite bad on my PS5. No drift yet. Had some issues early on that seemed to be related to rest mode but haven't used it enough lately to know if it's been fixed.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Coil whine and weird fan noises. Think I got the cheap fan with some weird resonance issue, and the o-ring method didn't work for me :(

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I'm lucky that my PS5 has worked flawlessly since launch. I even have an external ssd and I put it in rest mode and it works perfectly.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I dont know if coil whine is just the sound of the system being on or not but yeah, I've had few issues. Wifi has been a bit of a bitch lately tho(but it fixes itself sometimes)

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have is some annoying coil whine. I've had two firmware errors when I was on the dashboard as well but that wasn't too bad tbh, the console didn't crash or anything.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
It's not on the list but my PS5 has an extremely loud disc drive, sounds like hair clippers. I want to take it back for an exchange but there's no stock for replacements. Of the problems listed, I haven't experienced any of them.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I have a PS5 with coil whine but you have to be right next to it to hear it. Although if you play something like No Man's Sky it tends to get louder. Also some rest mode weirdness that went away for me with system updates. Other than that no issues.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Haven't had it for long but thankfully nothing of those yet.

The disc drive makes a *lot* of sound though. I always take out any discs whenever I can. annoying