• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you/Have You replayed Last of us 2 because of its quality?

• Yes

Votes: 922 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 914 49.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been kicking around the idea of replaying it on PS5 for the Grounded/Permadeath trophies and to see if I still find it as disappointing as I did when it came out.

Haven't actually done it yet though because it's so dang long and I really didn't like the story the first time around.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I keep waiting for some bigger PS5 patch, I have no idea what that would even be. I replayed the first one like 8 times. I will do 2 before Factions comes out.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I went through it twice for the plat and loved my time with it. Not going back a third but I'd love some new content.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Don't plan to return to it any time soon.

Played through twice (second time was for collectibles/trophies/seeing the story in perspective).

There's a lot of media like this that while excellent is a one (or two) and done, and not something to rewatch/play/listen repeatedly.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just realized my time played in TLOU2 is almost caught up to my time in TLOU. A little under 300 hours in TLOU2 and a little over 300 hours in TLOU.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played it, then played part 1 again, and then replayed it immediately after.

Once the remake releases i will definitely play it once again

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I wanted to play the first game, but then the second game dropped, and I already know what happens in that one.

Based on what I've heard, no, think I'll pass.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Playing individual chapters with modifiers is great fun, and to me it makes the game infinitely replayable when I get the urge.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Unequivocally no.

Gameplay just never clicked with me. Something about how deliberate everything felt, but in the wrong way. For comparison, i love red dead 2, which i felt succeeded in limiting me to set the mood for the game without making actually me feel constricted.

And i hated how the story just spun its wheels for 10 hours, until the sequel finally really starts with Abby's story.

OceanSky

Nov 22, 2021
I don't have a desire to play any game for a second time, except some special titles prior release of the next part.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
The Last of Us Part II is the first "big" game i.e. 20+ hours long that I actually replayed immediately after finishing it. I can't think of another game in 20+ years that I did that with. I was so thoroughly impressed by everything about it I just couldn't put that one back on the shelf. The narrative structure also makes a 2nd play really rewarding because of how much context you didn't have the first time through that you do have the second time around. There are so many little story beats and character moments that you will catch when you know the full picture that you can't really appreciate until you know where it's all going.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I felt the complete opposite, I rarely revisit AAA narrative driven games after the first playthrough but I started a NG+ on TLOU2 as soon as I beat it. The tps sandbox gameplay is sublime, there's plenty of reason to go back to it for that alone. Just because you know the story beats doesn't make it not worth revisiting, though I understand how the heavy thematic elements and generally oppressive tone may turn off others from going back.

While I think the back half of Abby's part could have been trimmed a bit, overall I think the length is not a detriment and don't really get the pacing complaints. I appreciated the length overall, it felt like experiencing a season of a TV show. A very full meal that I can see myself coming back to time and again over the years.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I was on board after the ps5 patch but I remember how exhausting the game was to play and the pacing is absolutely terrible when compared to the first game, which I've beaten a few times. Great game overall but its probably a one and done for me…

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Desire? Yes, because it has great gameplay.
Realistically? Probably no, too much backlog and despite the great gameplay tlou2 is too long for its own good. And there's dozens of games I'd rather replay before it if I manage to finish my backlog somehow

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Maybe I'll replay a few sections because they did a good job with the gameplay in 2 especially compared to 1 (and as far as I remember they let you jump to certain "levels" from the main menu), but I have no desire to sit through the story again. It's overly depressing, and I just wasn't a huge fan of the narrative in general. Also, the game is long as hell, I don't have time to do replays of that magnitude.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Hell no. I don't hate the story as much as some and the gameplay is incredible but fuck this pacing.

Naughty Dog's games were the best paced ones in the industry during PS3 era. Not anymore sadly.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure, but probably not a regular replay. Never got far in replaying tlou1 either. I just dont care for the story or presentation in either game to really have the parience to rewatch a bunch of cutscenes. I think the game is as its best when it just oeaves you to play the game, exploring the path forward, giving you some envorimental storytelling and set pieces WITHOUT taking you out of the experience. Tlou2 has way more of this than 1, which is great, but i don't want to slow walk through these hour long flashback sections again lol.

thankfully you can specifically replay encounters though, and i think i will spend a lot of time on that.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Played it twice for the plat, will never play it again.

Kind of regret the second playthrough. It's so draining. Definitely done for good.

I hate when games make you replay a whole game twice to earn the plat.
Especially with a story-heavy game like TLOU2 it makes you just skip all cutscenes and go through the motions.
I'd much rather have devs include interesting challenges.

I opted NOT to go for the plat and don't see me returning to TLOU2 anytime soon, despite having a PS5.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I jst finished my 3rd playthrough, this time on Grounded. I thought the game was really great before but Grounded absolutely elevates it to just 'fuck yea...' levels for me. It's VERY tense in a great way. Be prepared to really up your game in terms of flanking and positioning. The level design really shines in that regard on Grounded.

Survivor already had me clenching my cheeks so I'm glad to hear grounded ups it even more. The gameplay in TLOU2 is sublime. Stealth, resource management and enemy encounters all work together beautifully to create some incredibly tense moments. This game is the reason why I'm kind of excited for a TLOU 1 remake lol if it carries over the mechanics from 2 it's gonna be a treat

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I have mixed feelings about the pacing and story, but it's still a fantastic game so I'll probably replay it when I get a PS5.

If anything, I feel like the game will be even better when there's no expectations of how the story should go.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Survivor already had me clenching my cheeks so I'm glad to hear grounded ups it even more. The gameplay in TLOU2 is sublime. Stealth, resource management and enemy encounters all work together beautifully to create some incredibly tense moments. This game is the reason why I'm kind of excited for a TLOU 1 remake lol if it carries over the mechanics from 2 it's gonna be a treat

Exactly the same for me. If they basically slap TLOU1 on top of TLOU2 mechanics and expand the level design accordingly, I'd be hapoy as hell with that.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Will I eventually? Yes I plan to play it on the hardest difficulty because the gameplay is simply perfect.

Story-wise? Meh. I can take it or leave it. I have a less favorable opinion on it as time goes on simply because the first's ending to me was perfect and my favorite game ending of all time because of how relatively open-ended it was. The existence of a sequel that follows Ellie and Joel at all by definition renounces the open-endedness of the original's ending, which to me lessens it. Regardless if you feel that the ending of the first was clearly what they followed up with in Part 2, I didn't want that confirmation. I liked being able to consider the possibility that things went a different way.

It doesn't help that the ending of Part 2 also tries to do the whole open-ended ending thing, and it feels unearned in comparison. It's not an awful game, the story isn't really bad, but
Abby's
section is pretty undercooked and I had trouble empathizing with most of them. I get what they tried to do, and I respect the attempt to turn things on their head a bit, but it wasn't executed well enough and I know I'm going to dread it somewhat on my replaythrough.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
really glad i did, but the overall length of the game & its absolute brutality was a bit for me early into this pandemic...i don't replay many games, can't see this being one

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I still really don't care for it story-wise, but I've been meaning to revisit it sometime for that incredible gameplay, like TLOU1 crossed with MGSV. I've been wanting to try out a more aggressive playthrough, as well as a like speed-stealth playthrough. Whenever Factions comes out I'll likely wind up returning to the main game as well.

Boomstick75

Banned
May 7, 2021
I started that game three or four times. Most recent attempt, I told myself that I was bound and determined to finish it, since I love the first one so much. Got to the point where
Shimmer's brains were blown out all over the road
, quit out, uninstalled, and sold my copy.

Have absolutely no desire to go back. Will replay a PS5 version of the first game, absolutely. Will never touch Part 2 again.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't finished it. At the last chapter, but it's been a bit of a slog. I'm glad I played it, but I'll never touch it again.

I don't generally replay games anyway. Too many games, too little time.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Yup. Currently waiting for any news on a possible PS5 version of TLOU2 and then I'd jump in again.

Also quite a lot of games I haven't played before in my current backlog so that is what I focus on whilst waiting for TLOU2 upgrade or other Naughty Dog news.

Oct 30, 2017
Hated every minute of it and only finished it because it was a gift and I felt guilty.

I'll never replay it.

Last edited: