• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 7, 2020
I was thinking with the recent news regarding a Virtua Fighter eSports thing happening (hoping its a new game) and Guilty Gear Strive( Boy what is Arc doing with some of these decisions?), is there a fighting game series or game that you would like to see announced within the coming year. I think its safe to say that at this point we only have GGStrive announced as the sole new fighting game for 2021. Despite the fact that the genre is niche, hard to get into for beginners, and lacks a consistent player base, I love the genre. I remember fondly playing SFII and MKII with my dad at home on our PC, Playing killer instinct and supersmash bros, and playing virtua fighter, tekken, soul caliber, and MVC2 in arcades growing up. I love fighting games and I just wanted to see what games would you guys like to see in the genre moving forward, no matter unlikely they might be of ever coming to fruition. I excluded SF6 as its kinda been softly hinted that its happening but likely wont be announced until either late 2021 or 2022 but give me some SF as well baby.

My top 3 fighting games that I would love to see are....

1. MVC 4 or Capcom Vs X: I loved the gameplay in marvel infinite despite all of its missteps, graphical styling clashes, and character choices. I have always been a sucker for the series since I first played MVC2 in arcades as a kid. I could be my favorite marvel heroes and capcom characters and duke it out against friends for fun. I would LOVEEEEEE a new MVC game or even a Capcom vs SNK game if it could happen. *Capcom if you happen to see this, please add Viewtiful Joe this go around*

2. Killer instinct: Man..... What can I say about Killer instinct other than this game was one of my favorite games playing on the SNES growing up. Fulgore and Glacius were my favorites. I can still hear the announcer streaming comboooooo in my head. I think a new killer instinct would make perfect sense right now given the state of Microsoft studios, I hope to see it announced in 2021.

3. A Naruto or One piece 3 vs 3 anime fighter(but really a fighting game first, not an arena brawler): I am going full Weeb and saying that when DBZfighters was announced, I was so freaking hype to see that they selected a really popular anime and turned it into a fighting game. Although I loved DBZF and still play every once in awhile to this day, it sort of fell out of my favor with the superdashing and some of the mechanic decisions. However, holy shit does it deliver in terms of presentation, art style, and fan service. I know that these franchises aren't as popular as DBZ although it may be close, I would love to see these franchises turned into a true fighting game. It would like be weirder for One piece given the vast differences in character sizes but would be awesome to see nonetheless. Naruto would be AMAZING to see with the variety of characters they could include and jutsu/techniques that could be implemented.

Anyway what do you guys/gals hope, wish, dream to see?

OP
OP
GooberDooberCBC
Sep 7, 2020
I was thinking with the recent news regarding a Virtua Fighter eSports thing happening (hoping its a new game) and Guilty Gear Strive( Boy what is Arc doing with some of these decisions?), is there a fighting game series or game that you would like to see announced within the coming year. I think its safe to say that at this point we only have GGStrive announced as the sole new fighting game for 2021. Despite the fact that the genre is niche, hard to get into for beginners, and lacks a consistent player base, I love the genre. I remember fondly playing SFII and MKII with my dad at home on our PC, Playing killer instinct and supersmash bros, and playing virtua fighter, tekken, soul caliber, and MVC2 in arcades growing up. I love fighting games and I just wanted to see what games would you guys like to see in the genre moving forward, no matter unlikely they might be of ever coming to fruition. I excluded SF6 as its kinda been softly hinted that its happening but likely wont be announced until either late 2021 or 2022 but give me some SF as well baby.

My top 3 fighting games that I would love to see are....

1. MVC 4 or Capcom Vs X: I loved the gameplay in marvel infinite despite all of its missteps, graphical styling clashes, and character choices. I have always been a sucker for the series since I first played MVC2 in arcades as a kid. I could be my favorite marvel heroes and capcom characters and duke it out against friends for fun. I would LOVEEEEEE a new MVC game or even a Capcom vs SNK game if it could happen. *Capcom if you happen to see this, please add Viewtiful Joe this go around*

2. Killer instinct: Man..... What can I say about Killer instinct other than this game was one of my favorite games playing on the SNES growing up. Fulgore and Glacius were my favorites. I can still hear the announcer screaming comboooooo in my head. I think a new killer instinct would make perfect sense right now given the state of Microsoft studios, I hope to see it announced in 2021.

3. A Naruto or One piece 3 vs 3 anime fighter(but really a fighting game first, not an arena brawler): I am going full Weeb and saying that when DBZfighters was announced, I was so freaking hype to see that they selected a really popular anime and turned it into a fighting game. Although I loved DBZF and still play every once in awhile to this day, it sort of fell out of my favor with the superdashing and some of the mechanic decisions. However, holy shit does it deliver in terms of presentation, art style, and fan service. I know that these franchises aren't as popular as DBZ although it may be close, I would love to see these franchises turned into a true fighting game. It would like be weirder for One piece given the vast differences in character sizes but would be awesome to see nonetheless. Naruto would be AMAZING to see with the variety of characters they could include and jutsu/techniques that could be implemented.

Anyway what do you guys/gals hope, wish, dream to see?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There isn't necessarily a sequel fighting game that I want or anything but after DragonBall FighterZ, I seriously need some other anime games like that that aren't arena brawlers. A Black Clover or Fire Force, hell, even Naruto in that vein would be to die for.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still hoping for a Sonic the Fighters 2, or honestly any kind of 3D fighter that isn't a Bamco joint.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
KOF 15 . 14 played well but couldn't stomach the graphics so never really got into it . That's saying a lot because I'm not a graphics snob but I just couldn't stand to look at it . Calabash Kyo head..sheesh

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested in a new Persona fighting game, ideally with characters from the entire series, not just the recent stuff.

I'd love a 4 player free-for-all anime fighter that played like Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen, but had characters from a variety of series.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Ball FighterZ is really good and Tekken 7 is unbeatable at the moment. It'll be hard for any new fighting games to be released while those two are popular as people tend to focus on just one at a time.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
KI deserves a sequel and it's mind blowing that it doesn't seem like MS is working on it. The reboot was a success and there's a passionate fanbase there so I really think MS needs to get Iron Galaxy on a sequel.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Couldn't care less personally. I think the last one I bought was a Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. No interest in Smash Bros personally which is sort of blasphemy for someone who is ultimately a Nintendo fanboy.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, I'm just waiting for Riot's fighting game, but who knows when that's coming out (or if it'll even be any good).

Granblue Fantasy Versus showed me that I actually could enjoy a more beginner focused fighting game, but sadly the garbage ArcSys online and PC support ruined all of that pretty fast.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
  • Interested in KoF15 if only because I'm curious on how it's gonna look.
  • Strive because I love arcsys games and buy them all since I discovered them in the OG Xbox days with Guilty Gear XX #Reload.
  • Not particularly hyped for SF6 or MVC4. Barely played SFV and MVCI. They are going to have to do a MHW/RE2/DMCV level of step up for me to care.
  • Would love a KI2 and I'm still puzzled on how that is not one of Iron Galaxy's current projects. Huge squandering by Microsoft who should foster all their IPs/exclusives that gains traction.
  • Hugely anticipating Riot's fighting game. Was very impressed by their card game and valorant, I'm sure they are going to make something great that will put japanese devs to shame in terms of online functionality.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
I'd like
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom remake or remaster
  • A Nickelodeon TMNT fighting game wtih a big budget
  • Capcom vs. EA crossover
  • GI Joe 2d fighter

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a 4 player free-for-all anime fighter that played like Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen, but had characters from a variety of series.
Finally someone with taste. GNT/Clash of Ninja was so so SO good and deserves a spiritual successor. I personally really wished that the MHA fighter was closer to this than being yet another anime fighter.

Dragon Ball FighterZ is really good and Tekken 7 is unbeatable at the moment. It'll be hard for any new fighting games to be released while those two are popular as people tend to focus on just one at a time.
If only their online was functional in any way.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know people complain about this but it's always been fine for me unless it's a really laggy match.
We just had a high profile rage quit on FZ's big online tournaments because of how bad the quality can be. Just because it works fine for you doesn't mean it's actually good overall.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I keep going back to UMvC3 and no game has captured that feeling or made me go "this is my new main game". I've tried Power Rangers, Skullgirls, DBFZ, SFV, and others but UMvC3 had yet to be topped.

So obviously, MvC4 would be incredible.

I would also like to see SF6 since it may captivate me in a way SFV failed to do (I loved SSFIV and even USFIV). Honestly, I haven't been obsessed with a SF title since Alpha 3 so part of me hopes they incorporate some of those systems and whatnot into the next SF title to give it a fresh coat of paint.

I'm a long time KOF fan so obviously the next KoF game is mine, and I do hope it follows the 2003/XI tag gameplay format since the cadence is there and it's time.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
I want to see NRS take their graphics to the next level. I don't know how much they can improve on Injustice 2 and MK11's facial tech.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I do find it weird that the next gen is releasing next month (less than 4 weeks) and there was no next gen only fighter. It feels like there should be something at least if only to cover all the genres for the next gen console. I mean I understand upgrading is a thing and ps4 games can be played on ps5 but it still feels odd

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
It's fine except when it isn't?
More like, if it's an obviously bad connection then yeah it's bad as it would be for any game, but if 90% of the time it's alright and I haven't noticed the lack of proper rollback. It's never going to be as good as playing against someone locally and people need to accept that.

Sep 22, 2019
I hope GG Strive is actually good, I don't care that it was simplified as long as the game is still fun and there is still room to differentiate between low and high-level play.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I'm really curious to see what Sega wants to do with Virtua Fighter. They only said the focus will be esports, and that's the best angle for VF in my opinion.

Tekken 8 with a new fighting system that finally moves away from the T5 standard. Doubt they'll do it, since 7 was a big success.

Riot's game is interesting for what it could bring to the table, even though they've been working on it since forever and what little we saw was surprisingly normal.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Persona 5 Arena. Been waiting 6 years for it.

First and second post.
tenor.gif

Just imagine these two in modern ArcSys 2.5D goodness with rollback netcode...hnnngh. I've been waiting over 5 years now for the next mainline Blazblue and ever since P5 came out I've been imagining P5A in my head. ArcSys has multiple teams and they work quick so despite Strive coming out next year maybe hopefully we'll hear what else they've got cookong. Fingers crossed.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I would love a Persona 5 Arena.

But at the same time Im willing to wait till Arc sort out some shit.

They've already cleared the biggest huddle with rollback though, so everything's coming up Milhouse!

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
A new Street Fighter would be nice.

Surprised Capcom hasn't announced a next gen upgrade for SFV tho. A PS5 version with 60fps backgrounds, zero slowdown, instant loading, and other improvements would be welcomed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
MvC4 properly done is one of my top priorities. Then there's CvS3 too, but I don't think that's happening any time soon, if ever. I'm waiting for some KoF XV footage, I really want it to be great and recapture the KoF XIII hype.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Just imagine these two in modern ArcSys 2.5D goodness with rollback netcode...hnnngh. I've been waiting over 5 years now for the next mainline Blazblue and ever since P5 came out I've been imagining P5A in my head. ArcSys has multiple teams and they work quick so despite Strive coming out next year maybe hopefully we'll hear what else they've got cookong. Fingers crossed.

1 team on GG Strive
1 team on DBFZ
1 team on GBVS
1 team on BBTag (???)

is there anyone left they could spare for Persona?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I want a new non indie budget fighting game not based on an existing IP.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the next DC fighting game from NetherRealm. I am hoping it gets away from the Injustice aesthetic and goes for more classic and colorful looks and vibes. That + next gen loading speeds is all I need

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I am excited for Kof15

Have zero faith in Strive

Super curious what theVirtua Fighter project ends up being

Curious about the League Fighter but don't have much hope for it gameplay wise.

-A new Blazblue game is probably what I would love the most but seeing what Arc Sys is doing with Strive and how Blazblue with its finished story makes it even more likely for drastic changes I sadly have no hope it would be good. Gameplay and designs would likely disappoint

-Would love for KT to make up for the disaster that was DoA6 and give people a good polished new DoA

-Gimme a French Bread FGO fighter

Rollback for everything. If the netcode improvements for Tekken end uo actually good, please please please have them find their way into Sc6

Gimme rollback for Xrd and BBCF

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1 team on GG Strive
1 team on DBFZ
1 team on GBVS
1 team on BBTag (???)

is there anyone left they could spare for Persona?
I don't think they work on BBTAG anymore. Game hasn't got a content update since 2.0 a year ago.
They only have 2 DLC characters left to do for DBFZ so I don't imagine that many people from ASW are working on that anymore (I'd be VERY shocked if DBFZ gets another season of characters, there's barely anyone worthwhile left to add).
The DLC cycle for GBVS is still more active but it's still just DLC which overall requires less manpower.

Strive is obviously the priority for them in 2021, if we hear anything else from them I suspect it'd be closer to the end of 2021 (set for release sometime in 2022).

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Hopefully, "VF Esports" and KOF15 materialize in the new year. They're probably the "known" factors in the pipeline that I stand to keep an eye on the most.

Now, what I would love to see?
* Konami to finally get their heads out of their asses and just let 8ing make a new Bloody Roar
* Capcom allowing Itsuno to live out his dream and make a new Rival Schools game

I'd like to think introducing Akira as DLC for SF5 is a nice means to help slowly reintroduce the series, but even still...gonna be an uphill battle for any non-SF/Versus Capcom fighter to get the greenlight, I'd imagine.