• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but the way I sneeze has always been sort of like a cough, so when I sneeze around people they always have to ask if that was a sneeze or a cough before commenting.
po.gif

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
My sneeze is really loud and people complain about me doing it for effect. I have no control over it!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

lmaooo @ Chevy
What a treasure, I need to watch this show at some point.

My godfather used to hold in his sneezes and he ended up getting a sackpocket of phlegm or whatever visibly behind his ear that needed to be surgically removed.

So don't hold in your sneezes. I tell this to everyone I hear/see do it.

RE lover

Nov 5, 2017
My sneeze sounds like a cough as well. Which is problematic since we are living through a pandemic :/

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Nope, neither that nor a strange laugh, thankfully. A friend of mine laughs like Muttley, she's infamous for it.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
At some point in my life, I started intentionally sneezing as loud as possible. I have to actively stop myself from doing that in various situations nowadays.

Dork Knight

Feb 20, 2018
Totally! My sounds like this:

Aaachooouuueeuueiiiwiiwiexcuuuhhuuuuuucuuooooooo.

What does your sound like?

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. There is a guy who used to work the other side of a massive office (200 people a floor or so and you could hear him from the other corner of the floor). It wasn't a call center necessarily; 50% analysts but those with customers on the line had to repeat some words at least once a day.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
mine very clearly enunciates an "A-CHOO" and my partner tells me that's not normal

My laugh is also a very clear "HA HA HA HA HA HA"

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, but when I sneeze it's always 3 times in a row. I never realized it until a few people pointed it out.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
My sneeze is really loud and people complain about me doing it for effect. I have no control over it!
You do have some degree of control over how your sneezes sound. A lot of people don't realize that they're "talking" or sometimes outright yelling when sneezing, and it affects the sound of the sneeze. I'm pretty conscious of what I do when I sneeze, so I generally don't talk or yell while sneezing, but I think that causes my sneeze to sound irregular because of how a "normal" sneeze sounds. If your sneeze is really loud, then you're probably yelling while you do it, and you CAN stop doing it as long as you're conscious of it and put in some effort.

mine very clearly enunciates an "A-CHOO" and my partner tells me that's not normal
I'd argue that it's considered more normal to the average person. A lot of people don't realize that they're talking or yelling while sneezing. If you're conscious of it and stop doing it, then your sneeze will probably sound abnormal to people.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
All of my natural sneezes come in pairs. If I accidentally breath in pepper or something it will only be one sneeze, but if I just suddenly get the urge to sneeze? Always two in a row.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I'd argue that it's considered more normal to the average person. A lot of people don't realize that they're talking or yelling while sneezing. If you're conscious of it and stop doing it, then your sneeze will probably sound abnormal to people.
I mean it doesn't sound like a SOUND EFFECT approximated as "achoo" as an onomatopoeia it sounds like me saying the words "ah choo"

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is fairly normal, maybe slightly more quiet than average. I've always been convinced that the people with really obnoxious sneezes do not need to be that loud, whether they know it or not.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I have to sneeze it is always in 3 consecutive bursts, like achoo, achoo, ACHOOOOOOO. I always thought it was weird when everyone else just does one burst.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Lol, First thing I thought of.
lmaooo @ Chevy
What a treasure, I need to watch this show at some point.

My godfather used to hold in his sneezes and he ended up getting a sackpocket of phlegm or whatever visibly behind his ear that needed to be surgically removed.

So don't hold in your sneezes. I tell this to everyone I hear/see do it.
Uh, how did he notice? Cause I kinda feel like there's something "stuck" in my left ear from a bad cold but my ENT doctor says there's nothing there. It still bothers me from time to time.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, First thing I thought of.

Uh, how did he notice? Cause I kinda feel like there's something "stuck" in my left ear from a bad cold but my ENT doctor says there's nothing there. It still bothers me from time to time.
According to my dad, he had a bulbous protrusion behind his ear. He may or may not have been bullshitting me. Googling it, comes up with nothing lol

But you can blow a hole in your throat holding in a sneeze:
www.npr.org

Man Ruptures His Throat By Stifling A Big Sneeze, Prompting Doctors' Warning

Not long after he suppressed a powerful sneeze, the patient's neck began swelling, crackling and popping. It was a rare case — and he recovered — but doctors say there's a moral here: Just let it rip.
TB5A5lW.jpg

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
According to my dad, he had a bulbous protrusion behind his ear. He may or may not have been bullshitting me. Googling it, comes up with nothing lol

But you can blow a hole in your throat holding in a sneeze:
www.npr.org

Man Ruptures His Throat By Stifling A Big Sneeze, Prompting Doctors' Warning

Not long after he suppressed a powerful sneeze, the patient's neck began swelling, crackling and popping. It was a rare case — and he recovered — but doctors say there's a moral here: Just let it rip.
TB5A5lW.jpg
Haha, I see. Yeah it's more of a minor annoyance for me. But damn that story is scary AF

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a very dainty sneeze that veers close to a 'nyah' sound at times. My roomie likes to make fun of me when it happens lol, but hey better a little nyah then a gd elephant.