• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone have that option to leave the country. You're pretty much stuck in this country.

Heh i keep seeing posts like this. People with nothing to their names have been migrating since the dawn of time. The US was literally built by people who went there with nothing to show for. Every year millions of people who have nothing cross continents looking for a better life.

Most Americans who would say this have that same option. They just choose not to.

Not attacking you or your decision, mind you. But it is a decision. Leaving is always an option.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of Jews fled Nazi Germany/Europe to America. Sometimes they had the means, sometimes they didn't.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to stay put until I can't, because the next term will be pretty unlivable at some point, and once that breaking point hits, off I go.

I'll just head back to Taiwan, since I have dual citizenship.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
No one said they're obligated to do anything. But if the country is going to be healed, then the right people need to be in the country.

That's literally what you just did on the first page of this thread though (alongside many others). Telling people "they're not supposed to do X" sounds like said people have some nebulous obligation no?

When your country needs fixed you're not supposed to just run away.

The US isn't like most countries. The vast majority of its citizens trace ancestry to ancestors leaving their ancestral homes across oceans to arrive here; sometimes for leisure and opportunity, other times in flight of their ancestral homes. My ancestors came to this country fleeing from the effects of WW2, were they supposed to stand and fight and most likely die? Even in a non-wartime scenario were people seeking opportunity not supposed to leave their ancestral homes?

Atop that, just look at American history. This entire country is built off the blood, sweat, tears, and corpses of minorities and what have they gained from it? Just because a number of you have some misguided notion of "American nationalism" doesn't do away with the actual history and reality of this country.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the presidency is a rotating door position. If you want to leave because you can't stand being in a country that votes people like him in, that's a better case. At least they're a permanent problem

Basing a decision around the president is not wise.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's literally what you just did on the first page of this thread though (alongside many others). Telling people "they're not supposed to do X" sounds like said people have some nebulous obligation no?
I said: "When your country needs fixed you're not supposed to just run away." I think it's reasonable to expect someone to infer from that statement that you stay only if you want the country to be fixed, not that there's an absolute obligation to stay.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I said: "When your country needs fixed you're not supposed to just run away." I think it's reasonable to expect someone to infer from that statement that you stay only if you want the country to be fixed, not that there's an absolute obligation to stay.

Nowhere in that statement I quoted (and you quoted again) states "If you want the country to be fixed" but sure you can edit that in if you want. My point, however, still stands. Minorities in the US don't owe it to the country to stay. If some do, and many are, more power to them. However, if others wish to leave due to X reasons (not even just Trump), then they're fine to do so as well. "Fixing" a country that has done nothing but take, kill, take, kill, and take from minorities is a hard sell for a good number of people, I among them.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
If he's reelected, That will be another 5 years without me giving my euros to your fastfoods and souvenir shops, my good USA friends.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just watch the world burn and probably get my girlfriend outside of the states.

I already expect him to be reelected so that's already my potential plan.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
People who can lose their rights if Republicans control everything. Minorities, LGBTQ, immigrants. Just because he's not persecuting you doesn't mean other people aren't at serious risk of losing their rights or even dying.

Yeah I get that, but they ain't leaving, and they shouldn't this is their country as much as anybodies, show me anybody who actually left or has a serious plan to leave

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, it's been nearly three years and my day to day life hasn't changed. i'd be devastated if he got another term but as a 9-5er with a mortgage and family i don't see much point in planning it as a nuclear fallout

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Engage in a shit load of civil disobedience. Im in DC so its guarenteed there will be demonstrations.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
I don't need a plan B. As the famous saying goes, "living well is the best revenge." Trump conservatives can't rattle me, all they do is hurt themselves with poor policies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I do have a backup plan to move to Malta if things get too out of hand, but even with a reelection of Trump I don't see things getting to that point. I'd have to feel like me or my family is in imminent danger before resorting to that.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly what my ancestors did from Lithuania coming to NYC. They had nothing coming in and didn't even speak English. If they could do it I can't see why I can't today.
Your main problem would be finding an open port. Back then, the US welcomed all the European brain drain and free cheap labour but that's not how it is anymore.

Israel's a fine choice if that's available to you.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
Im staying no matter what. We need more good people to wake the fuck up and vote, push, and rally for the good.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope.

I moved recently elsewhere but not because of politics but because my old neighbor hood became a ghetto literally to the point where it wasnt safe to live at.

Been meaning to move for years and finally got the chance.

Patience is a virtue.....good things take time to happen.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Naw, just going to be pissed off and depressed for a while.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Leaving the country because of Trump is giving him too much power over me. It's our country too. I'm going to stay, vote for people who represent equality, love and progress, and continue to fight for the things I believe in.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Continue living my life, supporting basic human rights, etc.

And another four years of disappointment towards the US. Here's hoping the electoral college doesn't fuck us over again.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just stay here if the economy continues on trucking. I like the Pacific Northwest and Seattle area quite a bit and it's been a good place to raise a family. We might end up going back to Japan at some point down the road, and what comes after a hypothetical Trump re-election might certainly make us consider accelerating that idea, but it really depends.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is our collective mistake, so there's no real escape from it. And few can just pack up and leave.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I mean i'm going to fight it out to the very end, but with everything going on.(Mass shootings, Neo Nazis getting more and more comfortable with their threats. etc) I just don't feel very safe in this country anymore. Of course i don't blame anyone lacking the means and resources to leave. Hopefully things can go back to sane levels in this country.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll just continue to do what I'm currently doing; vote, protest, and not spend any money except what I need to eat & survive.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Have a nice cold pint, and wait for this all to blow over.

in all seriousness though; its a rotating position. I'd just wait it out and live life to the best of my ability.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Leaving would be like giving up. I live in a liberal city in a liberal state that pushes back at Trump's policies at every turn, so I guess it isn't much of an issue for me to begin with but I'd rather stay here and push back rather than leave my home.

DukeTogo1300

Oct 28, 2017
Even if you're on the losing side, you are still providing balance. To leave is basically aiding them with their immigration agenda. You can't allow this nation to go pure Trump, the world would not survive.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Mass shootings, Neo Nazis getting more and more comfortable with their threats. etc

imo the bandaid has been torn off and there's not a whole lot trump losing would do to taper that. long term sure, but short term i'd say it'd even get worse sort of like how obama getting elected spiked domestic terror threats. you certainly don't want to "enable" them but they don't take kindly to losing either

Last edited:

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I don't really agree with conservatives when they say "If you don't like it, you can get out!" so, no, I'll stay and fight.