• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was your Masters degree worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 234 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 115 33.0%

• Total voters

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Getting my masters enabled me to get into a Ph.D. program and eventually a tenure track faculty job. so yes it was worth it

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Masters in Communications, absolutely was worth it. Not only for my career, but the graduate degree unlocked better interest rates in various financial products.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Depends?

My wife needs one to practice, so yes.
I've made it to a director level position with a bachelors, so maybe not.

I don't really know, I've had friends get MBAs thinking it would get them from 50k/year to 100k/year. But really it got them 50k in debt and 60k/year. Also have friends who got an MBA and got a dream job with good pay.

If you can get your work to pay for it, I would say it's always worth it.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Working on a MS right now...I'm not sure how much it'll help me, but I'm trying to keep the cost low/get it reimbursed, so hopefully it'll be a net benefit no matter what. I wasn't sure if I should do a MSIS or a MBA, so I went with MSIS (since the MBA seems to only be useful if it's from those top b-schools with crazy costs). We'll see what happens.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I got an assistantship with my school, so I literally got paid to get a masters degree. I'm very glad I did it.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Will depend on the field/position.

I got one because jobs I was hoping for required one, but the job market stank so badly I ended up going a different direction that doesn't care about my master's. At most it might be helpful for me to check off a box when it comes up for getting into higher positions. I suspect the bigger factor will be connections and experience though.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have a Masters in Information with a concentration in Archives & Records Management.

It's an extremely similar program to Library Science, which is another concentration under the same degree. In fact half of my work is doing legal research as a Librarian.

Whether it was worth it or not is a matter of how you look at it:

Was it worth it in the context of me having an undergraduate degree in history? Yeah it was because you basically need post graduate education to secure any real job prospects with that type of undergrad.

Was the entire undergrad + masters combo worth it? Honestly no. If I could go back and do it all again I'd have chosen a different degree. I didn't understand just how hard it would be to make a decent wage with these degrees when I originally started down this path. I'm making it work as best I can (job interview for a new librarian position today actually!) but I'm 29, still have a ton of student debt, and I'm make less than 2/3 of what my partner does - and she has no masters and no debt. It hasn't exactly paid off compared to how some other undergraduate degrees would have.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a teacher in a state that requires a Master's degree, so it was worth it in that I get to keep my job. The actual content of my classes and coursework was not helpful in the slightest, but I also worked as a graduate assistant for much of the time and built personal and professional relationships through that that I value.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
My Master's is in Rehabilitation Counseling, and I'd say it was worth it, as it's gotten me a well-paying government job with great benefits.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Depends?

My wife needs one to practice, so yes.
I've made it to a director level position with a bachelors, so maybe not.

I don't really know, I've had friends get MBAs thinking it would get them from 50k/year to 100k/year. But really it got them 50k in debt and 60k/year. Also have friends who got an MBA and got a dream job with good pay.

If you can get your work to pay for it, I would say it's always worth it.

The value of the MBA has fallen through the floor outside of a handful of top business schools. There are way, way too many schools offering sub par 1 year "executive MBAs" to working professionals that aren't worth the cost of the program.

I got a masters degree but not an MBA and that was one of the most compelling reasons for me. Amusingly enough my employer hired what seems to be an idiot as a training coordinator (I have a background in this, but don't like to specialize in it) and...surprise surprise he's a product of one of those programs.

not a fan.

I'm a teacher, and you can't teach without a master's in education, so...

depends on where you are. Not the case in my state. Any 4 year degree and a teacher's certificate is sufficient for K-12.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Even with my shitty IT job, my Masters has me as the highest paid in my position by at least 15k. But I can't seem to get any other jobs with it so far.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My MS in Data Science will triple my salary. Highly doubt I would have been able to do that in two years without it. Nor would I have felt as confident applying to the type of company I'll be working for.

Jun 30, 2020
Colorado
I got a masters degree in GIS and Archaeology. Unfortunately I don't get to use the archaeology part, but the GIS part has given me a comfortable life. A big way I saved money when doing my masters was I went over to Scotland (I'm from the USA). The tuition was cheaper, they were VERY generous with scholarships, and the program was only a year long instead of two, which let me get into the work force sooner (this is in comparison to UW). I've heard that if you go to other European countries as well, such as Norway, that sometimes you can get your tuition free.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not working in a field directly related to my master's but I do believe it helped me get into my current job at a higher level, plus I wouldn't have gotten the job without moving to a new city for my master's, so overall, worth it.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
MS in Data Science/BI was worth it. ( already payed for itself in a year, lol )
This is me. Changed careers and salary shot up close to 200k.
My MS in Data Science will triple my salary. Highly doubt I would have been able to do that in two years without it. Nor would I have felt as confident applying to the type of company I'll be working for.
I'm currently applying to graduate programs in Data Science, got into one school so far =)

Going back to the classroom in over twenty years after getting my BS in Comp Sci. The pandemic has led me to pursue higher education.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
MS in Civil Engineering. I had an immediate advantage when applying for jobs and I started with a significant higher salary than other entry level staff.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
MS in Data Science/BI was worth it. ( already payed for itself in a year, lol )
This is me. Changed careers and salary shot up close to 200k.
I'm currently applying to graduate programs in Data Science, got into one school so far =)

Going back to the classroom in over twenty years after getting my BS in Comp Sci. The pandemic has led me to pursue higher education.

I'm heading back to school for a second BS in Comp-Sci (first was in Biology) with the intention of heading down the Data Science path, soooo... *fingers crossed*

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Masters in Social Research. Originally a milestone towards a PhD I have almost completely abandoned, since I became disillusioned / fed up with academic life.

On a practical level, it was a mere refresh of methodological tools I already knew. I did choose the most generic / versatile Masters I could find, since I did not want to hyper-specialize.
That said, it gives a 9% increment in my current salary and gave me several contacts which were ultimately crucial for my career.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
For teachers, it's the only way to get a substantial pay raise. Most teachers have a masters + 18 or two masters degrees.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
for me, not so much, but I think I did it cos I wasnt ready to enter the world of work rather than really as a means to getting a job.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think so! I got my masters in Data Analytics so I could switch into a data science career and was able to do so.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think for myself personally I might've been better off going straight into a PhD program and skipping the masters (which was an option as a BioEngineering student at my grad school), but at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to go on to a PhD or not. So it's hard to answer whether it was worth it or not because it did give me time to consider the experience without committing, but I'd probably be closer to my PhD now if I had gone straight for that

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Got laid off right when I completed my MBA. New job I got they said it had a factor during my interview. So my old company was out 75k and I got a new job closer to home

I will say no way could I have done it if my company hadn't paid for it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations! It's been the most challenging academic experience of my life, but so worth it.

I'm heading back to school for a second BS in Comp-Sci (first was in Biology) with the intention of heading down the Data Science path, soooo... *fingers crossed*
A lot of CS programs will prepare you very well for data science positions, so I think you will be fine!

Also, y'all should join us in the Data Science OT if you haven't already!

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I think my Master's was worth it for me as the university I went to for undergrad paid for my classes while I worked there - so if you can find a similar Graduate Assistance program in something you're interested in that's definitely the way to go. I personally had a lot more fun with my graduate program too and my class size was usually ~12 at the highest so we all became pretty close throughout the experience.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations! It's been the most challenging academic experience of my life, but so worth it.

A lot of CS programs will prepare you very well for data science positions, so I think you will be fine!

Also, y'all should join us in the Data Science OT if you haven't already!
Thank you! I've subbed to the DS thread a while back but just been reading and learning from everyone's experiences for now...hopefully I can contribute to it later on =)

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
The value of the MBA has fallen through the floor outside of a handful of top business schools. There are way, way too many schools offering sub par 1 year "executive MBAs" to working professionals that aren't worth the cost of the program.

There is a big difference between what a full-time MBA from one of those top schools offers you, and what you get from a part-time program, but they are also starting to be priced accordingly.

Minus some weird tax stuff and books, work is paying for my MBA, which I think I'll do with a Business Analytics track. I would have thought a lot more about whether I should go back if I was on the hook for tuition, since I'm still paying off private undergrad debt, but it was an easy decision given the circumstances

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Never got one as its not really needed in my field. Experience is valued more. I'm a software engineer that only has a BA in Psychology.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through an MSIS program. I've asked more than once if it would be worse to go through the program or get a job where I have to use this information. Hoping it opens doors for me. We'll see.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, my masters was pointless.

I started it in hopes that I would get a job. I was trying to break into IT, and thought a degree would help, so I started a degree program for IT.

Shortly after I started, I got a job which was the start of my now-15 year career in network engineering.

Fortunately, I got tuition reimbursement from that company,so I didn't pay much for the degree, but in hindsight, I didn't need it. I also never mention it because my 15 years of experience far far exceed whatever benefit I got from a master's.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I don't have a Masters and don't plan on getting one for the time being, but if I did, it'd be because I love my research subject. Money wouldn't motivate me to go back to school - which is obviously something I can say because education is free.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and yes for the job I had and have now. But I wish there was a way of doing it with less debt (I worked for the university and had tuition covered and a small stipend, but that still didnt make ends meet, even with my wife working)

I'm halfway through an MSIS program. I've asked more than once if it would be worse to go through the program or get a job where I have to use this information. Hoping it opens doors for me. We'll see.

Mine is Information Science, though school librarian. Was worth it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It was - it taught me invaluable life skills:
  • Time management
  • Determination
  • Reach out if I am struggling
  • Being respectful as an adult
I got mine in CS and it was hard as shit. I had to get a lot of help since I didn't start coding until a few years ago. I feel like I probably got too much help, to be honest, but if anything - I didn't give up

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I have two, and yes. One got me into my current career, the other one (an MFA) was the best and most fulfilling year of my life.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have a MS in mechanical engineering but I was focused on supersonic combustion so it was mostly aerospace work. It was the same department so I requested to do it under that umbrella for resume purposes.

Honestly, I only remained in the field a short time because the work was highly nomadic as various government policies expanded and contracted the projects. I don't think it was valuable to me in terms of my ACTUAL field, though it could have been. Just having it did open doors for sure.

In the end it's one of my proudest accomplishments and I would do it again. It did a lot for my confidence, publishing work and such. I had the opportunity to press on for PhD (and wish I could have) but it would have ended my marriage. It was on the edge due to the time and effort that it required (teaching, research/thesis, course work).

Edit: I was able to get paid for my teaching and research, so I left graduate school with zero debt. That probably tilts my scale as well. My wife had an accounting job for the county government and I earned more than she did at the time.

Last edited: