• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have an objectionable material line?

• Yes

Votes: 146 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 156 51.7%

• Total voters

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. Super realistic violence in a super depressing setting with a super serious tone is my line. Yep, I'm talking about Tlou2.

Feb 6, 2019
I don't approve of things that portray bad things as a positive.

Racism, sexism, homophobia, etc in games is a-okay with me, as long as it is portrayed as bad or evil.

Those things are part of many stories. Many villains are villains due to having some osrt of racist or sexist ideology.

For instance, Lord Farquadd from Shrek has his vaillainy founded on racism.
Some 'villains' in Horizon Zero Dawn were sexist and/or xenophobic.

But if there is a game in which the racism or sexism or whatever is meant to be good then, fuck that.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
First and foremost bad gameplay in combination with an uninteresting narrative. But I guess a bit more to the point of OP is anime dating/romance/loli games or games that can depict women only with a huge cleavage and huge boobs. Even Trials of Mana is hard to bear for me because of these ridiculous outfits.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal abuse, I guess. I remember when I played Unruly Heroes the wolfmen characters (who are all anthro, violent savage monsters) had these pathetic whimpering barks when they were struck and I couldn't handle it.

Prejudice against vulnerable groups is definitely another.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of sexist trash and people who wrap themselves in liberal bullshit to pretend it's freedom and not sexist trash.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pre-pubescent, saucer-eyed, "waifus" creep the hell out of me.

What is wrong with these people?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I won't buy the game if the team behind it is known for the usual shitty stuff, racism/sexism etc. But for content I don't care as long as it's justified by narrative intent.

Lately tho I've been very turned off by a specific type of glorification of realistic violence. For exemple, trailers of Call of Duty where regular soldiers put bullets in the head of fellow humans cut on the rythm of rock/rap song. There's something super unsetling in that specific case.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I struggled through a scene or two in GTA 5 but if it's justified well I'm down to see what the developer wants to show me.

Morality wise, I don't think consuming media that displays values counter to my own is bad, especially if executed well. Entertainment is just that.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I was a huge fan of Mortal Kombat as a kid, but the current games are way too graphic.

TLOU2 looks to cross the line for me in a way the original didn't, too.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Last 15 years or so, anything to do with hurting animals has bothered me more than anything. Just about everything else "it's just a game, it's not real" but with animals, it's to the point where if I'm playing a game with someone and they shoot an animal for shits and giggles, I'll have an issue with it. It makes no sense but there it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's hard to parse out when something's crossed "a line" and when it's just unappealing and miserable. The Last of Us II feels like the latter, but at some level it must move into the former category. But it's hard to tell.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, i was watching The House That Jack Built on the theatre and i had to get up and leave midway because fuck that movie, just fuck it

Oh shit, wait, i'm on gaming side uhhhh, well, there were a lot of critiques of the most recent Animal Crossing as a colonialist dreamscape that yeah, it soured me on buying the game

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Violence, gore, language... haven't seen it to levels/realism in a game that gave me a huge problem with it.

Sexualized young-looking anime characters... Not into it. I'm able to overall enjoy some games with parts of this aspect if the rest of the game is really good, but certain scenes just skeeve me out sometimes to the point of not wanting to play anymore.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
yes. I can't play dragon's crown any more than finishing once and i never played a senran kagura game even if the gameplay looks exactly what i like

no game with too much violence, gore or anything ever looked fun to me gameplay wise

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there's something that will make me take some sort of stance, but I doubt that this will be applicable to any mainstream game I'll play for the foreseeable future.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
after a hiatus from gaming in the 2000s i was shocked by how casually violent games had gotten. wasn't offended or anything it was just like... holy shit

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Portrayal of underage girls in a sexual manner in a game makes it something I will never play. It's one of the many reasons I'll never play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really think of any....

When I was a kid and I was afraid of gore... I avoided Mortal Kombat like the plague. Lol

Never mind. Modern mortal combat pushes me away a lot. It looked kind of goofy on older iterations, but now fatalities just make me really uncomfortable.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Mortal Kombat levels of violence has been consistent for me. -- especially the newer titles with the X-Ray blows and what not. I don't find that type of spectacle enjoyable at all.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
isn't... the line when you object to it?

like... that's what it means to find something objectional.

unless there are ppl who say "this sucks and i genuinely think it is bad and offensive to me personally and shouldn't have been done. It's fine."

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Excessive and/or ultra realistic violence and gore is sickening. Mortal Kombat, the upcoming TLOU2... just ugh. I wish it wasn't so fucking normalized in Western (American?) culture.

Oct 29, 2017
More than 50% voters are fine with stuff like rape and child sexualization, huh? Okay.

Depends. If it's portrayed as good? Fuck no.

If it's portrayed as bad then it could open the eyes of many who don't understand these problems very well, or never felt the weight of them.

TLoU 2 I imagine will make people realize that killing is not something that happens like it does in CoD or assassins creed. That's a good thing. It makes you uncomfortable and that's the point.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I would not play that game Hatred. Probably the only one I can think of at the moment.

Well, I wouldn't play any of the million hentai games on Steam. Though, not because it's objectionable, per se, just... Why bother?

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Fire Emblem: Three Houses and FFXV approach that line at times but are, for the most part, ok.

Xenoblade 2? Absolute fucking disaster. Refused to even play it.

Oct 27, 2017
Though I have no moral objections, so-called "fan service" in games always turns me off.

Since the days of Nintendo, I've been about the sense of mystery and adventure in games. Putting in a fairy with breasts larger than her head that jiggle using a physics engine that took an extra year of development time completely takes me out of the game as it is just not the atmosphere I am looking for.

I've been wanting to play a good first person dungeon crawler for years, for example, but it seems like every single one is chock full of scantily clad "warriors."

To me, sex and videogames are two distinctly separate realms, and I don't really understand people who want sex in their video games. It just seems pathetic to me. Ultimately, though, whatever floats your boat, but when a great series is tarnished by it, then it really bothers me.

Again, with something like Mortal Kombat, I don't really have any objections, but I just find that stuff really unappealing

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there's something, but I can't think of it at the moment.

I can say I watched A SerbIan Film. Though I absolutely hated the movie on multiple levels, I still watched it to the end. Human Centipede 2 was close to the line for me as well.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I don't know how but for example no amount of violence or gore in video games disturbs me but even slight real life violence bothers me. It's like my brain knows that it's not real and filters it.

Feb 4, 2018
My line isn't really a what, it's a how. No subjects are completely off limits for me as long as they're approached with thoughtfulness and respect. If you use a sensitive subject (eg. sexual assault) for shock value or amusement, however, I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
isn't... the line when you object to it?

like... that's what it means to find something objectional.

unless there are ppl who say "this sucks and i genuinely think it is bad and offensive to me personally and shouldn't have been done. It's fine."

The line is when you stop playing the game.

Like I object to the fact that every Trails game contains brother / sister romance subtext, but not enough that I stop buying the games.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
If I have limits then I do not know them. I have never come across anything remotely close to testing my morality in games or movies.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. If your game has homophobic, transphobic, racist or sexist content, it's most likely as good as dead to me.
Or if you disguise pedophilia as "She's actually an adult that just happens to look very young!" and constantly objectify female characters to the pleasure of your incel audience, with a huge canion between the representation of straight men and the representation of everyone else.
Which means a staggering amount of Japanese developers.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not going to support something like Hatred, but I feel like that's a given and is as much about the developer and the purpose of the game as it is the juvenile game.

I really don't like over the top fan service and try to avoid it when possible. It's tonight because JRPG's and visual novels often have some degree so it's less about a strict rule and more about how scummy I would feel playing the game. Dead or Alive? That's a series I can skip.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Not so much a line, but once the media I am consuming reaches a critical mass of basically shit, I drop it.

I was only able to stomach both South Park games for 10-12 hours each.

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
More than 50% voters are fine with stuff like rape and child sexualization, huh? Okay.

That is painting with a really broad brush. Someone can just as easily avoid a whole genre of games where tropes like that are common based on taste alone. That is not to say they can't tolerate it in the context of a game like Heavy Rain.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Murder-simulators like The Last of Us squarely cross my line, yes. I'm fine with campy violence like Doom but when a game strives for realism in its depiction, I pass and pass hard.