• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of attractive women outside my department, but nothing I'd call a crush since I can't even tell you their names. We might recognize each other, but that's about it.

My coworker swears she's gonna find me someone and some of them are interested, but I don't see it.
People always say don't date people at work... but if the company is big enough that they're working in departments that never interact with you, does this rule really apply?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a student. Dunno if that counts, I had one over the summer lol. Then school started back up, we had breakfast once, and she never initiated a conversation with me after that except to ask about schoolwork.

I took the hint and my feelings kind of fizzled out, then she told me about the guy she has a crush on lol

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
My work environment is really strange. Everybody I've worked with in the last 3 years have been 20-35 years old, 15 people at a time, and the sexual tension is immense. I'm pretty sure ever person I've worked with there, that hasn't been in a relationship, has slept with a co-worker. And people talk about it, everybody shares personal stuff often. Thad said I don't have a crush and I'm in a happy relationship but I'm pretty sure something would happen with one of my co-worker if we weren't both in relationships.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, kind of.

No chance in hell of acting on it because this is a place I intend to retire from so I really can't afford to complicate or fuck it up, plus after two years on Era I'm convinced no woman ever wants to be hit on at work by any guy ever.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yeap. For several months. Asked her out a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't interested. That's the end of that story. :p

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I very recently switched jobs and asked a former co-worker out, she said yes. Going on a date after I return from christmas break. So fingers crossed.

At my new work, no. 95% of my co-workers in my age range are men.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Stop OP.
Rarely does it work, go home, masturbate and go to sleep.

I feel like this is not good advice. Companies come in many sizes with varying orgs.

I know of many marriages that have resulted from work relationships. Most of those still working at the same company.A good company will just ensure those resources don't report to one another

Side note my wife and I used to work at the same company.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I've been dating someone from work for the past 6 months, we're aware of the risks but it happened. So far I am enjoying it a lot.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and he's straight because of course I had to fall for another straight guy. Plus, he's now my supervisor, so I have to see him every day when I really wanted to try to move on from it.

wow thanks, Jesus

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I now work in an office with just one other person, which happens to be a very attractive girl who I really get on with.

She's like a sister to me, so no, I don't have a crush on her. I can appreciate that she's pretty, but we both have partners already that we love dearly.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
People always say don't date people at work... but if the company is big enough that they're working in departments that never interact with you, does this rule really apply?

Just this week I've ran into two people I hadn't seen in years- one I didn't even know still worked there. Earlier this year, I ran into one who I hadn't seen in like three years.

It can cause problems though. I avoided an entire part of a building after having a falling out with someone, and I'm certain they would never work there again unless they knew I left and wasn't coming back. Even the slight chance of interaction is enough to cause problems, and my job requires interaction with a lot of people.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I did have, but turned out she had a boyfriend. It was at our clients though rather than my office.

I also had a semi crush on an older woman (like late 30s early 40s - im 29) at the same client, but she's leaving in a few days and I never acted on it.

Jun 10, 2018
Yes. There has never been a day I didn't find this one particular co-worker highly attractive (she fits my type to a tee). Plus I vibe with her personality a lot, which doesn't help quell the feelings.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I do, and I think she feels the same too but I'm not 100% sure, so I pretend I feel nothing. Also she might be a little crazy so I really need to stay away lol.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No, i have legit never thought of anyone in my current work in a romantic or sexual way.

I had a work crush once, but i was very young.

Nov 26, 2017
Yes, I do, she in my workgroup. But I think a lot of the other guy like her too. Tonight was one of the hardest night, because she bend down maybe a few inches away from me. But I will never broke my rule of about dating coworkers

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Ehh I wouldn't call it a crush. She flirts and I flirt back. She's my type but I doubt it'd work out so unless she makes a move to escalate I probably won't act on it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No.

1) I work in a place where I enjoy what I do but I don't like the larger culture that surrounds it, and the kind of majority personalities that it attracts.

2) In my line of work, there's definitely a risk that you can carry some real stress back home with you, and I don't want someone who has been through the same experiences because it makes it a little too intense. It's easier for me to have someone that I can digest it to without knowing what it's quite like, because I always fear if I had to share it with someone who knew what it was like first-hand, there'd be a risk of it just turning into a spiraling negative feedback loop with neither of us really getting past it.

With those two things in mind, I very strictly try to separate my personal and work lives. Dating someone from work is the absolutely most invasive way to let my work life back into my personal life.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
No, no crushes. If I did have one, I would never act on it, because I'm very happily married and would never intentionally fuck it up by betraying my wife's trust.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't some women in the office who make me think "DAMN" when they walk in the door. I'm married...not dead. But nothing that would qualify as a "crush."

Right. 2 of our close friends are married and met at their company. One is an engineer, one is an accountant, and they worked in different offices. So, if things didn't work out, there wouldn't have been much awkwardness.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The whole, "don't shit where you eat" thing is frustrating when you're a middle-aged introvert who doesn't care for drinking or sports.

Like, where the hell else are you going to meet people in this situation?

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah when i was like 20...we slept once even and then she thought it was too awkward to go to work when i was there so she changed her schedule....i just laughed.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've been dating someone from work for the past 6 months, we're aware of the risks but it happened. So far I am enjoying it a lot.
Haha same here, except mine is married. Luckily i ended it cause i found my current gf, but man, it was the most fun ive had. The adrenaline and everyone suspecting but not saying anything.

Girsej

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it a long time ago and it didn't end well. So no dating co-workers for me.

At my previous job I got interested in a co-worker almost from the start. We got along great and there was chemistry but she was in relationship. Then come this summer and she's separated and single again. Some of our co-workers tried to set us up together but both of us has a no-coworker rule (explicitly stated when everyone prodded us to go on a date).

Funny thing, this autumn I switched jobs and now we're dating.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Haha same here, except mine is married. Luckily i ended it cause i found my current gf, but man, it was the most fun ive had. The adrenaline and everyone suspecting but not saying anything.
Heh, we planned to "come out" at the christmas party but decided against it because it would not have felt right. In the end I think most people don't care and respect the privacy. Thats how I feel about other company couples as well.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
There's someone who I think I kinda do but also I think she's a lesbian. But also I might be a trans girl. But also I don't think she'd like me even if I transitioned. But I don't really have any interest in dating a coworker anyways. But also it doesn't really matter because I'm dating someone else and there are other people in my life I'd rather date even if that doesn't turn out.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Currently dating someone at work. Luckily we dont work in the same department so it's fine. Been dating for 4 months now and it works just fine.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I dont work with anyone I'd ever think to try to become romantically involved with. That sounds like a major headache. And that's before the inevitable breakup.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Fell pretty hard for a coworker during an internship abroad but didn't act on it, as she was in a long term relationship at the time. We were the only Italians (and foreigners in general) in a Dutch speaking practice, that made very easy to have a lot of complicity and form a bond.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
It happens all the time in tv shows so it must be ok to do so! :D

I've had crushed before. One of my ex was our intern so yeah lol. I mean, you see these people day in and say out, so it's no surprise crushes will occur.