• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Read the OP

• Aight

Votes: 80 46.2%
  • I didn't read the OP and couldn't comprehend any of the context

Votes: 93 53.8%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
what number or Roman numeral would it have to reach to sound off?

Edit 1: Reboot as in the numbers or naming. Not the gameplay or style. Lol..

Edit 2: Guys.. I don't mean a literal reboot. Didn't realize this needed explanation. The first sentence and topic title should have given enough context as to what I meant.

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
every numbered entry is basically a franchise unto itself

there's nothing to reboot

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Twenty-Six doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I'm sure they'll work something out.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
what number or Roman numeral would it have to reach to sound off?

We know they will at least reach FF27

ffxxvii.jpg

Maybe the reboot comes after that?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
They should remake Final Fantasy 1 as a HEXEN style FPS using the DOOM engine.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Presumably they'll just start doing what other devs do. Subtitles instead of an explicit number. FF is a special case though since it's kept the numbering system long after the time where most publishers would think that subtitles bring in newcomers.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kind of like the super bowl the "number" is customary. as goofy as FFCXVIII will presumably be 1000 years from now everybody expects it

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I imagine many an eyebrow would be raised at a potential Final Fantasy XXX.

We know they will at least reach FF27

ffxxvii.jpg

Maybe the reboot comes after that?
I just realized that the game this is from [Deus Ex: Human Revolution] is set just seven years from now...we most likely won't even have Final Fantasy XVII then, let alone ten more than that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 5000

F.F.F.

F A N T A S Y

Shadow of the Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy (2031)

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Reboot? Every FF is a reboot. I don't understand this. Do you mean completely change the genre from RPG to something else like FPS? That'd be a great way to kill the franchise.

An FF hero based shooter like Overwatch would actually be kind of cool tbh

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the fact that the FF series can go into stupid XXIII or whatever shenanigans is actually pretty striking for a brand. No other game series can have numbering like that.

Maybe when we hit the 20s the naming scheme might change up a bit as a novelty, but god knows if they wanna go Kingdom Hearts wacky with it.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I wish they would make an old fashioned FF game with wizards, dragons, and mages, and turn-based combat with the same pretty graphics as the remake.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Reboots? No. Remakes? Possible. Remasters? Possible.

What I wouldn't give to see a turn-based Final Fantasy VIII remake.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I wish they would make an old fashioned FF game with wizards, dragons, and mages, and turn-based combat with the same pretty graphics as the remake.
Thats what I have wanted for a while, that and/or an Ivalice style off-shoot.

One that goes even more mature than 12.

Basically other than 12, the turn they have made as a franchise since 9 has not been interesting to me.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you want them to reboot a series where every new mainline entry is a reboot?

Literally a reboot of a reboot?

Makes sense.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
No way, I think Japan has a different feeling about this sort of thing and love raising that number up.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd be surprised if we get out of the 30s before climate change and worldwide disorder begins making modern life unrecognizable.

So the number of the new Final Fantasy game will be a trivial concern at that point, is what I'm saying.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably they'll just start doing what other devs do. Subtitles instead of an explicit number. FF is a special case though since it's kept the numbering system long after the time where most publishers would think that subtitles bring in newcomers.
Probably helps the series has never been known for direct sequels. At least from main numbered title to title.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
If they were still releasing them at the rate they used to, sure (we'd be at, what, FFXXIV by now?), but as things presently stand, I doubt we'll hit FFXX until 2050...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably helps the series has never been known for direct sequels. At least from main numbered title to title.

Pretty much. It's been 15 straight games of new stories. By now, if you're at all interested in a FF game, you know you don't need to play the other 14 to "catch up".

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
No.

16, 30, 50, 72 , and 112 are all just as appropriate a 2, 3, and 4. It's really dumb that certain publishers started switching from numbers to subtitles to try and hide the fact that they've made a bunch of games in that franchise, as if they need to try and hide what they're doing.