• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SSD=Gamechanger

• Yes

Votes: 1,600 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 352 18.0%

• Total voters

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Most 3rd party games come to PC and they have to account for HDD. It's the same for Xbox games coming to Xbox One.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I kind of want to see the faster bandwidth and loading on a traditional turn based JRPG.

Sony should give us a Wild ARMs game that is fast between the overworld and menus or the random battles. I've had my fill of slow transitions, but I also don't want a total shift to Action-RPG hybrid gameplay.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Atleast we are going from "CD/DVD Games" (HDD) back to "cartridge" (SSD) games.
That is the minimum to expect.
Perfect first post.

Its funny, because this was a big shift in gaming. And now we are going back to the cartridge benefits but with current and beyond tech. Waaaay more storage vs cartridges. I cant wait.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
No. Most 3rd party games come to PC and they have to account for HDD. It's the same for Xbox games coming to Xbox One.

Not for long. SSDs will soon become a minimum requirement for AAA PC games. Devs aren't going to hobble their games for the sake of the platform with the lowest market share.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Every single dev who has commented on it says it's a game changer, but what do the GAMERS think?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I don't understand why some have voted no. The SSDs are probably the most significant jump along with the CPUs. Those claiming that it won't be a gamechanger because there are still platforms with HDD's don't seem to understand that those will simply be left behind after 1 or 2 years. There will be plenty of games from third party devs that will have SSDs as a requirement in their minimum specs.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They'll be working with SSDs too and they'll create things that'll be difficult on mechanical drives.
The point is that 3rd parties who publish on PC will probably continue using HDDs as the bottom line for quite a while, so besides faster loading screens they're not really gonna take advantage of the SSDs in the upcoming consoles until SSDs also become part of the minimum spec requirement on PC. No developer/publisher in their right mind is immediately gonna ditch all PC users who are still using a HDD just because both consoles now have a SSD, that's a transition which will take a couple of years.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it will be a game changer in term of quality of life. SSDs have been in laptops, phones and PCs for over 10 years now. It makes everything feel instant.

But I also feel that people are getting carried away in that games will be somehow fundamentally different because they are now designed around SSDs. I really never saw a change in any other software or applications so I am extremely skeptical it will result in anything other than amazingly fast save and load times (which is honestly enough for me).

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Yea I'm excited about it. The power of the Series X with the speed of the SSD are going to make some insane experiences.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day you will still do the same fetch quests in some barren open world game.
Seeing this, now I dont think open worlds will be as barren as some think. SSDs might allow for more interaction, activity. More dynamic gaming.

Love your enthusiasm, lol. Can always count on you to chime in on the excitement.

Every single dev who has commented on it says it's a game changer, but what do the GAMERS think?
lmao

I know, right?

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I bet that within a year of next gen people won't be able to go back to this gen, i remember that took a couple of years for me until i found ps3 games a drag to play.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, it is the hardware part that has mostly improved from current gen so probably is going to show in games am overall experience

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
sata 3 ssd would have been a game changer in the console world. microsoft is giving headroom with their drive and sony is being excessive. neither will get fully utilized this generation but it will push the pc market to sata ssd as required which is a needed step for computing and games as a whole.

Oct 25, 2017
Game changer in the console space? Yeah def. Game changer in the grand scheme? Like going from 2d to polygons? Or even from bad 3d era to great 3d/open world capabilities? Nah

At best you're gonna get faster loading and bigger open worlds imo. A welcome addition, but I think people throw around "game changer" like "goat" these days. Too easily mentioned.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The point is that 3rd parties who publish on PC will probably continue using HDDs as the bottom line for quite a while, so besides faster loading screens they're not really gonna take advantage of the SSDs in the upcoming consoles until SSDs also become part of the minimum spec requirement on PC. No developer/publisher in their right mind is immediately gonna ditch all PC users who are still using a HDD just because both consoles now have a SSD, that's a transition which will take a couple of years.

My point is ssds will do more than just speed up load times and third party devs can use the plethora of possibilities presented by the ssd to do things they can't on mechanical drives.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
the whole complete package is a gamechanger

Mar 11, 2019
Gamechanger of course (those that think otherwise are either trolling or .....), and we most likely are unware of its many (potential) uses and benefits in game design over traditional HDDs. Gamedevelopers have to redesign their current aproaches to make full use of SSDs and in future even in ways they currently are not fully aware off as the technology, software and their experience with it matures.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No offense it isn't about speed. It's about how the flash controller removes the bottlenecks associated with maximum throughout and the speed enabling data transfers far beyond anything commercially available.

And please don't bring XSX into it, because I'm sure the ports and games we see will speak for themselves.

The thread is specifically about the SSD in the PS5 and XSX

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Third party wise not much but first party titles will benefit from it alot.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I know nothing about game development but I would imagine that it will help remove most load times and make asset streaming into the game a lot faster.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
I didn't think so at first because I thought it would just mean faster/no loading screens but from what I read the past two or so months, the affect is and will be much greater than just that, so I'm excited to find see the outcome.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think it is. When you can literally change how you go about designing your game to me has to be a gamechanger. When you don't have to duplicate assets everywhere just to keep the seek times down and by definition have smaller games or room for more unique assets in your game, thats a gamechanger. Also its not just the specialized SSD in the PS5, its the specialized hardware that works in concert with the SSD that helps remove alot of bottlenecks that wouldn't be solved solely by access speed alone. I'm assuming the engineers at MS probably have something in mind that would reduce or eliminate those same bottlenecks too since they're no slouches in the hardware design dept either.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
If you should have learned anything from this generation then that increased power doesn't equate to more innovative games. Like the only game this generation that actually felt like a technological innovation was the outer world and that came from an indie dev.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I remember a time were every PC, i would say 100% of the market, had a 3.5" disk drive.
And then, 1 year later, you had to buy a cd-rom drive to play games.
I couldn't understand it, 100% of all PCs had a 3.5" disk drive.
Crazy times.
I got my cd-rom drive with the game Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger,
damn... that game had movie like cut scenes and detailed cockpit views, and Mark Hamill was in it.
Never have seen something like that on a 3.5" disk.
Really crazy.

I think that was around the time the PS1 and Sega saturn released, they used also cd-roms.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
No offense it isn't about speed. It's about how the flash controller removes the bottlenecks associated with maximum throughout and the speed enabling data transfers far beyond anything commercially available.

And please don't bring XSX into it, because I'm sure the ports and games we see will speak for themselves.
How dare anyone bring XSX into a topic about SSD in PS5 and Series X.

OMG, you are too funny. Never change

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
If fast/instant loading screens aren't gamechanger then I don't know what it. Long loading times drive me crazy.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will have a big impact on game development, but it remains to be seen whether it results in any revolutionary new experiences or simply better looking and faster loading games. I also wonder whether the big speed difference between the PS5 and XSX/average PC SSD will result in any big difference in practice. If the only real world difference is that you get less pop-in on PS5 I would hardly call that game changing, but right now it's definitely more exciting than a few more TFLOP of GPU power.

Oct 25, 2017
Wut? what about that segment where the character ran and jumped so far
To be fair any game could do that now (i.e., have a character fly through an environment) it's just the fidelity was cranked up to insane levels in the UE5 demo. I'll forgive people for not thinking a segment like that with minimal interactivity is a game changer.

Nonetheless I voted yes because even the bare minimum of reducing load times to a couple of seconds is a game changer for me personally. Add to that the way it's going to change the way developers can think about game design and remove some annoyances from the dev process and I think it's indisputably a big deal.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
How dare anyone bring XSX into a topic about SSD in PS5 and Series X.

OMG, you are too funny. Never change
Stop with the condescending tone.

It may have been a poor choice of words, but I meant this as a way of saying to not resort to platform wars. The last thing this thread needs is people warring over nonsense.

Yes the SSD is a gamechanger. That's all.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Game changer overall yes, because now games on all 3 major hardware platforms will be able to take advantage of it.

Do I think the ps5 ssd will be some life altering tech that the other 2 platforms simply cannot compete with leaving them feeling a generation behind already, no of course not, y'all let marketing get to you to easily out of confirmation bias. Still excited to see it in action though because it pushes everyone to be better long term. That's the magic of it to me.