• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whats your approach?

• Look like myself

Votes: 91 9.0%
  • Go in depth

Votes: 420 41.6%
  • Half ass it

Votes: 298 29.5%
  • Create goofy/troll character

Votes: 39 3.9%
  • Use preset and skip process altogether

Votes: 162 16.0%

• Total voters

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i usually play women when i can, and often poc

so not like me. as for time spent, i think it depends on whether i think the game is worth the effort

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I do a couple weird things with created characters...

1) I use a random name generator on the internet and then build a character that loosely looks like what that person might look like, and then make a backstory in my head.

2) If the game has a 'random guy' feature, I'll hit random like 5-10 times until I get one that looks decent or interesting but not too crazy, and then I'll use a name geenerator for the name and make up a backstory in my head.
Haha usually I'll just start messing with options and filtering thru them until a "look" starts falling into place. If I start hating it, I'll often go back to scratch. If I like it, I might start making up backstory ideas as the final design comes together.

Damn now I want to mess with a character creator

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I just blaze through it as quickly as possible. Tend to go for the default model and leave it at that.

My reasoning is...

I'm not interested in self-insertion.
It's hard to give a shit when your character displays very little in the way of emotion or personality.
The character is sometimes hidden in armour, so I can't even see them.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Just use a preset most of the time and when I don't I just do the most basic stuff. These things have never appealed to me.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
I try to create a character that makes sense within the game world and lore.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Always random and with a whisper to the character "You can't choose the way you are born".

klauskpm

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The more options you give me, the more time I'll spend trying to make the character I want. That is not to say I make everything good or matching my imagination. I had a lot of bad experiences with The Sims, wasting several hours to make something seriously just to end up with nightmare fuel. Nowadays I have more experience and patience to redo when things go wrong.

But I love customizing my characters so much that they take a huge percentage of my playthroughs. Pokemon Sword for example, with just a few options, the character creation, card creation, and choosing clothes (buying new and combining) took me easily more than 6 hours.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"Goofy/Troll character" mostly, as far as the game will allow me to anyway. I'm not getting crazy into mods or anything. It's mostly just slide all the sliders all the way in one direction, then maybe slide all the mouth or eye ones all the way in the other direction. If it's too in depth, I'll usually just half ass it, or just randomize until I see something I can live with. I definitely don't put much effort into it either way.

Sep 23, 2018
All in all the time.

And slightly on topic: SRZLY disappointed with both THPS and Skater XL's paltry options for character customisation and clothing options.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I've spent up to 7 hours on character creation depending on the game. Sometimes I wonder how much bank a person could make by simply making a game that's just a character creator.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I used to spend a good amount of time with them but after doing that a few times (mostly with characters controlled in first person) I kind of gave up and don't really care much about it now. I'll usually spend 5-10 mins but not much else.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Half ass it. I don't have any interest in recreating myself as a character in a videogame and I'm also not creative enough to pull of a character that I really like.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't like to do fine adjustments or anything, but I do pay enough attention to ensure that hair and clothing won't be clipping through everything. I don't rush through the process, and I want a decent-looking character, but I don't have the patience or understanding to make a character to look exactly like myself, so I don't try that.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
lack the patience to fine-tune, pick a preset and half ass customise it, to feel like i put some work

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't know what to answer. I used to half-ass it, but recently I've started creating attractive female characters. Though I would not say I go in depth.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't be assed to fuck around with sliders whatsoever when it comes to all the little details.

I usually either go with a preset face or randomize until I get something decent, and then I'll tweak the basic stuff like hair, beard, eye color, etc.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I go through all the options.

For games like Baldurs Gate I'll be there looking through all the classes and subclasses and rolling for stats and pondering proficiency, etc. Takes a long time to imagine builds and such.

For something like Oblivion I'll look at stats vs aesthetics, and then class, and then go through the options. It's pretty fun, idk why.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I lovingly craft my characters, build up some sort of backstory/headcanon, and make them wear pretty dresses.

Jan 10, 2018
I always put a lot of time into it and I always try to create something unique. The harder it is to create something appealing the more time I will spend with it.

Character creation is, at least for me, the first bonding process between the character and the player. It's kind of like a sculpture that you obsess over until it's almost perfect in your eyes, and then you get to display it in the game world and see it spring to life. "It's alive! Aliiiiiive!!"

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I make up whole back stories for my characters, usually create them with specific values, history or lore in mind.

Skyrim as an example I built my entire current modded load order to play a Druidic Bard who travels around skyrim with a magic spirit fox and is under a wearbear curse..

some games it easier to do than others but I enjoy just getting lost in the games that allow you to.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I always half-ass it.

But I did put effort in my PSO2 character, so there's that.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Count me among the persons who spent way too much time trying to recreate their face, then find out it looks absolutely terrible and eventually start over with random presets.

In rare occasions I just do the opposite and create a character that looks absolutely nothing like me (different gender, skin color, body type, etc.). Usually it's much better this way!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I 100% half ass it, if I don't just take the default/RNG. My wife would rightly give me the side eye if I'd spent time making one that looked like me lol.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I often spend more time creating my character than I do playing the actual game it's in.

I still remember printing about 195 pages of WWF Warzone create-a-wrestler templates at the public library in 1998.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I prefer when the creator has a randomize all button, and I just press it 50+ times until I get something that looks cool.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If they have presets, I use those. If I have to start from scratch, I'll just use whatever the default appearance is.

On the other hand, my wife will easily spend an hour or more creating a character if there's enough sliders.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Look like myself/half-ass it because almost no game have options for me to look like myself (Black will long dreads). Can't tell you how many times I have to settle on some shitty hair style that looks nothing like my own.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Generally I put a bit of effort but not as deep like the perfect nose or cheeks. Try to usually make them look like OC from a old webcomic I had back in the early 00s of different ethnics and races.

Fudus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2020
I usually pick a default character, maybe do some adjustments.
I tried "creating myself" in a couple games but it didn't really do anything for me so I just went back to default character.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I usually check if the game has a hairstyle option similar to what I have done every day for the past 15 or so years and usually settle for something close to it and then make myself a regular looking white guy like myself. I honestly don't think I have spent more than 5 minutes on a character creator outside of Morrowind in which case I needed to figure out which species had the best stats for how I wanted to play. When I got glasses a few years ago I started throwing glasses on my character too when applicable but that's it

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much time I'm going to spend with it and how social the game is. MMO's? I make sure I'm 100% happy with it. Short single player games? I don't really care too much. The perspective also factors in. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on a character for a first-person game where I'll rarely ever see my character, for instance.

RedLangley

Oct 21, 2020
I usually just half ass it.

The few times I have put actual effort into character creation it didn't end up being very aesthetically pleasing, lol.

Not really into self-insertion tbh.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
I go pretty in depth, I may sit on that character creator for an hour in some games. Especially if physical attributes can be altered and it's not just superficial

NBA2K21 has a great character creator that's more about physic attributes that are limited by height, weight, arm span, etc.

I would love to see this approach in an rpg where your jump height amount and strength are at least partially limited by your size. Cyberpunk looks like that game I'll be on that creator screen for an hour.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I usually put effort in until I start getting bored and then I just go to presets.

Except when I'm making pawns in Dragon's Dogma. They are all idiots and I make them look the way they deserve to look.

Oct 27, 2017
I obsess over it. Without fail my process is as follows:
  1. Spend hours creating a character I'm happy with.
  2. Spend minutes overlooking the character before confirming.
  3. Realize the in-game graphics/lighting is shit compared to the character creator screen and get annoyed that my character no longer looks the way it did in the creator.
  4. Delete the character.
  5. Spend an hour recreating the character with modifications like embellishments to features (nose, scars, etc) that may not have appeared properly in-game.
  6. See step 2.
  7. Realize the embellishments to modified features are still not as visible or now too visible in-game, yell "FUCK IT!" and just roll with it.
  8. If it's an online game with the ability to alter the character's look I'll wait several days/weeks before altering. If not, I'll just live with it.
  9. Realize I can't live with it and start steps 4 - 6 until I'm happy.