• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not much of an anxious person - never really have been, I don't think. Had some OCD tendencies as a kid (would quadruple check that nothing was plugged into any outlets in the house, for example, before heading to bed), but overcame most of them as an adult.

But man, for the last few weeks, I've caught myself staying up too late not because I'm having fun playing a game or relaxing enjoying a movie; but because it's delaying the inevitability of waking up the next day. Which then, of course, leads to the next morning - and, literally, within a couple minutes of waking up, I can feel this... pit?... in my stomach. I don't think it's anxiety. It's like this - for lack of a better word - dread.

But the problem, really, is I can't place the reason. Work is going well and have been given generally good marks and praise. Money situation is okay; actually just got a little further ahead recently than expected on something. Home life is good - I love my wife and she seems content at her job; our baby daughter is beautiful, happy, and healthy. No crazy drama or huge life changes (had our daughter and moved this past summer, but those were good things). But even still.... dread. It usually lasts through work and starts to dissipate as the evening unfolds, and unfortunately seems most absent late into the night.

I do think some of it has to do with the "round the clock" work schedule most have, including myself. Getting the emails at night or a meeting invite that changes how the next morning is going to unfold. None of it ever amounts to a "bad" situation. It's not like most emails ruin my night or anything. And I don't think that's enough to set it off.

I had a similar feeling about three years ago that lasted about 3-4 months. I did go to the doctor that time, explained myself. I was offered meds, but I didn't want to take them (never have, didn't feel it was super necessary). I bumped up my workouts at the time and my diet was already good, and it eventually kind of just... went away. I know my exercise has fallen in the winter - this season has been BRUTAL this year - but I still hop on a treadmill a couple times a week and my diet hasn't been total shit.

I do think I miss f***ing sunlight, damn... no blue skies in a couple months. But again, doesn't seem like it'd be a trigger.

TL;DR - I'm up at 12:08 am for no good reason, and figured I start a thread in boredom. Share your "Sunday Scarys" or general worries ITT. Re-reading this post, really didn't mean to make it somber. Just figured it'd be good to have a topic to swap stories, navigate through reasoning, address past concerns, and share tips!

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty much an every night thing for me. Every night when I'm lying in bed, I always hope something will happen and I'll die in my sleep. That's how I want to go. My first thought after waking up each morning is usually "Shit.".

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i go to sleep indifferent, wake up feeling good/refreshed/positive but once i started reading news or go online everything goes to shit.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
sleeping is difficult for me, but not for the exact same reason. When I lay in bed and try to sleep its like every horrible memory and cringeworthy thing ive ever done comes back to me and it gives me anxiety I guess. Like right now I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep, and something from high shool(9 years ago) just came back to me and made me sick to my stomach. Now im here cus I cant sleep.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
sleeping is difficult for me, but not for the exact same reason. When I lay in bed and try to sleep its like every horrible memory and cringeworthy thing ive ever done comes back to me and it gives me anxiety I guess. Like right now I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep, and something from high shool(9 years ago) just came back to me and made me sick to my stomach. Now im here cus I cant sleep.
You're not alone, believe me.

Oct 25, 2017

Times like this, it's ativan time. Wheeee

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I don't brood over the past anymore (the shit I've done, at any rate). If I'm wakeful at night, as I often am, it's typically more of a "tomorrow looks bleak and empty" kinda thing, so I drift off to fantasies of never waking up (like the other poster above).

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
it me

Been trying to cultivate a Stoic mindset to stop the general feeling of the walls closing in. Can't change the past, can't affect certain variables, just focus on making an accurate read of the current situation and acting wisely on what's in front of you right now.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is me when I have a Monday through Friday 9-5 job. Can't stand it.

Since I'm unemployed and trying to find one of those jobs, I'm in a weird place mentally right now.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was only sleeping between 2 and 4 hours for like a week straight a few months ago. Constantly waking up in the middle of the night, covered in sweat and I had heart beats. I can sleep fine again but man that sucked.

betamax999

Nov 7, 2017
I've been dealing with nearly the same feeling on a daily basis for the last 8+ years. Fortunately for you, you do have reasons to get up and face each day. I kind of don't. But I empathize with you totally. Can't really offer any advice though. I'm in a pretty dark place and it's tough coming to terms with the idea that this is my fucking life now and I truly have no reason or motivation to keep trying, but I'll try anyway and maybe I'll end up dying prematurely, but I probably won't, and either way I'll die alone so fucking fuck. I feel like some people (i.e., me) weren't meant to survive the womb, but unfortunately I did and now I'm paying for it.

Last edited:

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I remember 2 years at a job that literally almost killed me, I would wake up hoping something was wrong. I once dreamt I was eating shards of glass and woke up thinking, "thank God, I can go to the hospital instead of work".

On the bus ride in I would hope for an accident, and when I made it to work my first stop was the bathroom to vomit. That was my life for a year. I will never work for that company again.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I suffered from this too. It was diagnosed as generalized anxiety disorder, so 'a dread from a thousand cuts' rather than one big thing looming over me. After a long lone battle with my mornings, I went to a doctor. Proper medication (and slowing down my life) eliminated my condition. So, don't worry, just visit a doctor and you'll be fine :)

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I used to go with dread all the time , many listless thoughts about the future, my wife's health and our income, but lately its been a lot better.... I will admit , luck was on our side.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I've been dealing with nearly the same feeling on a daily basis for at least 8 years running. Fortunately for you, you do have reasons to get up and face each day. I kind of don't. But I empathize with you totally. Can't really offer any advice though, since I still wake up every day (or so) wishing I hadn't.

I'm somehow relieved I'm not the only one but I wish I was, don't wish this to anyone.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I used to during the rough times, but I also went to bed at 10 because the depression was sucking out every bit of energy I had and I had enough of that day.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not much of an anxious person - never really have been, I don't think. Had some OCD tendencies as a kid (would quadruple check that nothing was plugged into any outlets in the house, for example, before heading to bed), but overcame most of them as an adult.

But man, for the last few weeks, I've caught myself staying up too late not because I'm having fun playing a game or relaxing enjoying a movie; but because it's delaying the inevitability of waking up the next day. Which then, of course, leads to the next morning - and, literally, within a couple minutes of waking up, I can feel this... pit?... in my stomach. I don't think it's anxiety. It's like this - for lack of a better word - dread.

But the problem, really, is I can't place the reason. Work is going well and have been given generally good marks and praise. Money situation is okay; actually just got a little further ahead recently than expected on something. Home life is good - I love my wife and she seems content at her job; our baby daughter is beautiful, happy, and healthy. No crazy drama or huge life changes (had our daughter and moved this past summer, but those were good things). But even still.... dread. It usually lasts through work and starts to dissipate as the evening unfolds, and unfortunately seems most absent late into the night.

I do think some of it has to do with the "round the clock" work schedule most have, including myself. Getting the emails at night or a meeting invite that changes how the next morning is going to unfold. None of it ever amounts to a "bad" situation. It's not like most emails ruin my night or anything. And I don't think that's enough to set it off.

I had a similar feeling about three years ago that lasted about 3-4 months. I did go to the doctor that time, explained myself. I was offered meds, but I didn't want to take them (never have, didn't feel it was super necessary). I bumped up my workouts at the time and my diet was already good, and it eventually kind of just... went away. I know my exercise has fallen in the winter - this season has been BRUTAL this year - but I still hop on a treadmill a couple times a week and my diet hasn't been total shit.

I do think I miss f***ing sunlight, damn... no blue skies in a couple months. But again, doesn't seem like it'd be a trigger.

TL;DR - I'm up at 12:08 am for no good reason, and figured I start a thread in boredom. Share your "Sunday Scarys" or general worries ITT. Re-reading this post, really didn't mean to make it somber. Just figured it'd be good to have a topic to swap stories, navigate through reasoning, address past concerns, and share tips!

This pretty much sums up my life. I got a promotion and a nice raise in 2018, but I work in a 24-7-365 environment, and at any time I can get an email that changes the course of my day or week. It.. kinda comes with the territory. Sunday scarys are the norm for me.

I don't know what to add. This is life for me for the next 21 years until I can retire. A lot of people have it worse, I guess.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yes, and Yes. But the dread is more back in the head nowadays since I'm on meds. I just get up and go about my day even if I'm depressed and anxiety-ridden.

I instead wake up with a buzzing head, due to anxiety. It's a deep low hum. It's my jaw and head muscles tensing up so much that I it starts to vibrate my skull.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Dredd-127910.32322483301503346266large.jpg

You're a lucky person I guess.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it was over with my ex cuz she haunted me in my dreams aswell :(

Thank god those dreams are rare now 5 months fast forward and i can sleep now.

Deleted member 412

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As anxious I am in general, I find it easy to fall asleep on most days. I generally wake up with a sense of direction and well-being as well. It's the time between 1 pm and 7 pm I can't stand lol

betamax999

Nov 7, 2017
My problem re: sleep isn't that I can't fall asleep. It's the anxiety surrounding going to bed, caused by both the worry that I'll just end up lying there ruminating, as well as the the knowledge that things won't be ok when I wake up. Once I actually get myself into bed with lights out, though, I fall asleep pretty easily.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
No.

Sounds like anxiety though and as you probably know anxiety can be present even if everything seems to be fine in your life.

betamax999

Nov 7, 2017
Yes, and Yes. But the dread is more back in the head nowadays since I'm on meds. I just get up and go about my day even if I'm depressed and anxiety-ridden.

I instead wake up with a buzzing head, due to anxiety. It's a deep low hum. It's my jaw and head muscles tensing up so much that I it starts to vibrate my skull.

I know that feeling all too well. Between anxiety and TMJ issues, there's a constant high-pitched whine in my skull, especially on the right side. And certain low frequencies can exacerbate it like a motherfucker, unless I apply just a little bit of pressure against my jaw in front of my right ear. Annoying for sure.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I got to bed fine but sometimes I wake up worried about some stuff that the day might hold for me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've been there, OP. Email is the worse workplace invention.