• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haha sorry I knew about corps = core as a French word but for me my brain sees corps and says corps with the hard p. Most likely due to not being American and hence not really knowing how Marine Corps is intended to be said. I honestly thought it was Marine Corps with the pronounced hard p.
There are a bunch of idiots who don't know Bros. is pronounced "Brothers", so nothing surprises me.
I see you never grew up in the 90's. Bros. being shorthand for brothers is obvious but slang is slang for a reason.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It could be a statement sentence.

It wasn't in Bog's post, though.

It's a reference to the thread we had about the pronunciation of the title Super Mario Bros., which is not a sentence.

Obviously the word "bros," plural for bro, could be found at the end of a sentence. That's not what anyone is talking about here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It could be. there are plenty of games with declarative sentences as titles, like "No one can stop Mr. Domino!"
Where's the predicate in "Super Mario Bros."? Is "bros" a verb, like after the game is done, Super Mario will have broed? Or perhaps Super Mario bros on a recurring basis.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It could be. there are plenty of games with declarative sentences as titles, like "No one can stop Mr. Domino!" or "I have no mouth and I must scream."

So, just to be clear, you're saying that the title for the game Super Mario Bros. does not contain the common abbreviation for "brothers," but instead the period indicates that the title is meant to be read as a complete sentence?

I feel like I just got dumber, having read that. This is way worse reasoning than even anything anyone said in the original thread. How would you explain the period in Super Mario Bros. 2? Or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? You know what, forget it, I don't even want to know, you have to be trolling.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, just to be clear, you're saying that the title for the game Super Mario Bros. does not contain the common abbreviation for "brothers," but instead the period indicates that the title is meant to be read as a complete sentence?

I feel like I just got dumber, having read that. This is way worse reasoning than even anything anyone said in the original thread.

I'm saying that calling someone an idiot for knowing that an alternative reading of the title that is grammatically correct is harsh. One very well could read it as "Super Mario Bro (plural)" and make a grammatically sound argument.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You don't always need a predicate, hence "a statement sentence." Example, "Do all sentences need a predicate? No."

"No." is a declarative statement that is a full sentence without a predicate.
I believe the term for that is a pro-sentence, wherein the subject is omitted.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe the term for that is a pro-sentence, as in a sentence where the subject is omitted.

"Who just said 'no' in the above sentence? Krejlooc."

"Krejlooc." is a full sentence that is without a predicate. "Super Mario Bros." could be interpreted as a similar response to an implied question.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm saying that calling someone an idiot for knowing that an alternative reading of the title that is grammatically correct is harsh. One very well could read it as "Super Mario Bro (plural)" and make a grammatically sound argument.

So you're not saying what you actually believe, you're just making up some bonkers explanation that you think some other person could potentially theoretically believe, despite exactly zero people in the original thread every saying anything even remotely like "I thought the period is because it was a complete sentence"?

Okay, good to know, I won't bother interacting with you further.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
TIL (as an European)

/edit: To be fair, English is the absolute worst language when it comes to stuff like that.
"Let's just use the French word and pronounce it exactly like they do, completely ignoring how we would usually pronounce a word written like that in our own language."

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're not saying what you actually believe, you're just making up some bonkers explanation that you think some other person could potentially theoretically believe, despite exactly zero people in the original thread every saying anything even remotely like "I thought the period is because it was a complete sentence"?

Okay, good to know, I won't interact with you further.

I'm saying that reading "Super Mario Bros." as the plural of "bro" is grammatically correct in certain contexts.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Even worse still....he doesn't even say "corpse." At least what i'm hearing him say is, "Contra: Hard Cops"

Also, he refers to "Super" as being a suffix...when really it would be a prefix. After all, it's not Castlevania IV Super.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
people ITT saying "I know how to pronounce corps at a fifth grade level" realizes that "corpse" is also an accepted pronunciation for the word, right? It takes on a different meaning when you pronounce it that way. Corps pronounced as "corpse" is the plural of "corp" which is a shortened term for "corporation." As in, "Big Evil Corp," or an "S Corp" or "C Corp."

It always bothered me that in DC Universe Online they pronounce Lex Corp as Lex Core.

Like, I dunno if the game uses a different back story or whatever, but Lex Corp refers to Lex Luthor's corporation in the comics and animated series.

I felt like the voice directors were over correcting for the common mistake of reading marine corps as corpse. Maybe they encountered people like those in this thread who act as though this unintuitive linguistic quirk is an obvious thing everyone should just know.

Even if a bunch of posts are like that though, I'm sure a few people are gonna actually find out about the pronunciation specifically because you made this thread. So good job.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
When I was a kid I thought it was Corps and didn't get it but then I did get it as an adult after hearing enough people pronounce 'corps', it doesn't really come up in conversation v often, but had a period where I doubted it because I had a sudden random bout of idiocy thinking it was short for corporals or something and was convinced on that so it went back to Corps... but it's clearly meant to be 'Core'.

I get it, I get the joke. Also, what a metal as fuck ost. Right up there with Thunder Force:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Even as a non-English speaker it was obvious back in the day. I like Rush 'n Attack better. Pretty on the nose too, but that was one my young self didn't get at first.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
people ITT saying "I know how to pronounce corps at a fifth grade level" realizes that "corpse" is also an accepted pronunciation for the word, right? It takes on a different meaning when you pronounce it that way. Corps pronounced as "corpse" is the plural of "corp" which is a shortened term for "corporation." As in, "Big Evil Corp," or an "S Corp" or "C Corp."
one of my biggest pet peeves is when people mess this up in TV shows

like every time I hear somebody in a DC superhero show talk about "Lex Core" or "Luthor Core" it drives me up the wall

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
As opposed to english natives, no, I didnt know that. I always thought it was supposed to be prononced "corpse" and not "core" as the latter sounds the same as in French.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It occurred to me that this was a thing, but for some reason I always just thought it was a coincidence and it never occurred to me that it was a deliberate pun.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

In my experience, 'core' is an Americanised pronunciation , but in UK it's usually 'corpse'. Yes, both are correct for all the people piling on the OP.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Yes, but it didn't really register as I tuned out right after the word Contra

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
To be honest, my english is pretty good but I never realised this. In Dutch, 'Corps' is almost spelled the same ('Korps') but pronounced something more like 'corpse'.

I do find it funny that Contra means 'against'. So the the game is against hardcore? I mean, I don't have much with the music style myself (more of a metal guy), what does is meannnnn.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
When I was younger I most certainly did not. To this day corps is one of those words that I need to remind myself how to pronounce every time I see it.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had Probotector. Splash Wave also did. We tend to say Corps. As its how its pronounced regarding police and military.