• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was watching this video from splash wave

And I noticed the guy didn't get the pun in the name because he was mispronouncing "corps."

It's not pronounced "corpse," it's pronounced "core."

as in "Contra: Hardcore"

Did you get the pun originally?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Heh, never noticed that until now.

Don't worry, I know how to pronounce "corps." The pun just didn't click.

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
...I thought it was pronounced corpse...

i mean I've probably heard it be core before but... idk fuck english

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was pronounced "core" and I still didn't get it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people ITT saying "I know how to pronounce corps at a fifth grade level" realizes that "corpse" is also an accepted pronunciation for the word, right? It takes on a different meaning when you pronounce it that way. Corps pronounced as "corpse" is the plural of "corp" which is a shortened term for "corporation." As in, "Big Evil Corp," or an "S Corp" or "C Corp."

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
people ITT saying "I know how to pronounce corps at a fifth grade level" realizes that "corpse" is also an accepted pronunciation for the word, right? It takes on a different meaning when you pronounce it that way. Corps pronounced as "corpse" is the plural of "corp" which is a shortened term for "corporation." As in, "Big Evil Corp," or an "S Corp" or "C Corp."
contra: hard corporations

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Nope, until I fully learnt english and played it again (Spanish is my native language). It was one of those "I get it!" moments 😄

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with this is that the first part of the title is Contra, which is itself a military term, which in turn primes you to take the second word "corps" in a military context.

Also, you know, it's Contra.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because 'corp' on its own without the s is pronounced as 'c-or-p' in the English UK/English AU language, as it's short for 'corporation'. 'Corporal' is also pronounced with a hard p like 'corporation' so I can understand where 'corpse' comes from in pronouncing the s. I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce corps with a silent p weirdly enough. Must be American.

Edit: Having a look, American English pronounce the 'r' in 'corporal' with a drawled sound, like 'raa-l'. How interesting.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yes, I did. I'm curious as to whether people realized that the final boss music is called Last Springsteen and that it's a pun (Springsteen = Boss).

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was an adult when the game came out, and English is my native language, so the pun was always obvious to me.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, aside from being in the Marine Corps, I remember the pronunciation of Corps being a conversation when the N64 game Blast Corps came out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because 'corp' on its own without the s is pronounced as 'c-or-p' in the English UK/English AU language, as it's short for 'corporation'. 'Corporal' is also pronounced with a hard p like 'corporation' so I can understand where 'corpse' comes from in pronouncing the s. I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce corps with a silent p weirdly enough. Must be American.

corps as "core" is french

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
corps as "core" is french
Oh I know that, just stating that I didn't even know it was core as the pun intended because corps is said as it is spelt here in Australia. Even my best mate whose army says corps with the s when shortening it.

Edit: sorry not when shortening it, as that's to shorten corporal.

Last edited:

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a bunch of idiots who don't know Bros. is pronounced "Brothers", so nothing surprises me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep. I grew up with a neighbor that was ~10 years older than me and left for the Marine Corps after he graduated high school, but he and his mom used to keep an eye out for us neighborhood rascals before he left, just to make sure we were safe. He, in a very friendly manner, corrected how I read "corps" for the rest of my life as he explained what he was going to do with the rest of his life.

Coincidentally, I came across Contra Hard Corps like a year or two later and was like "oh yeah, Sean said it's 'core,' not 'corpse.' Haha, 'hard core,' nice."