• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
So seeing the rumors about Halo: Infinite today reminded me that I sometimes get excited about games that I know I won't be playing in the foreseeable future. I played tons of Halo back in the day, but these days I only really play on PS4 and switch and I know I don't have the financial stability to buy an Xbox Series X or build a gaming PC (heck I'm not even sure if I'm gonna get a PS5).

And yet, I am still incredibly excited for Halo: Infinite. Even if I never play it, I want Microsoft to have a major first party win and I want a return to form for Halo. What say you folks? Do you ever find yourself excited for games you won't be playing?

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I get excited about updates for games like Fortnite and Dead by Daylight. I don't play those games, and have no intentions to, but the hype can be a lot of fun.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the time for fighting games. I don't play them anymore, outside of Smash (but we all know that doesn't count) and so I still love and adore the history of these games and their characters. So tournaments and the like are always fun for me, even if my best days are way behind me.

mazpratim

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I'm happy for a friend that got a sequel to a game that they really liked without me being interested in the game myself. I also will probably buy Horizon 2 just to look at the graphics and take pictures and stuff, I don't plan on beating the game or anything.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, not really.

If I don't have any interest in a game or IP I won't actively seek out info or get excited about it. I'm happy for others though.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games and stuff with cool character updates yeah

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, not really.

If I don't have any interest in a game or IP I won't actively seek out info or get excited about it. I'm happy for others though.
Pretty much the same. I'll be happy for those who are hyped about the things I'm not into, but I don't get excited myself. I think that's the distinction.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alot of people thrive off of living in the hype, even if its not for something they have an attatchement too, for them its just fun to be a part of the conversation. Ive seen people asking if they need to play part one before they play an upcoming sequel that the internet is excited for.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
No, but I'm lucky enough to not have to skip things I want to play. The Ramen Noodle diet sees me through console launches and wallet murder months when like 6 things come out.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I almost feel like Cyberpunk could fall in this category for me. Although I do honestly feel like I'll give it good playtime. A game I'm pretty hyped for, but i have a backhanded fear I will end up giving up on it early on.

GTA V got super hyped back on release and when it scored all these perfect tens, I had to buy it. Ended up barely playing it at all (have never played GTA).

So I feel like Cyberpunk is going to be GTA like, and GTA formula doesn't excite me. However I like the themes/art of Cyberpunk a thousand times more, and that it's FPS as well.

But I guess that's different to OP. Even GTA V I probably played 30 minutes before losing interest. It's not a case of not owning the proper platform to play it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I get pretty hyped for From Software games. Sekiro seemed pretty amazing and I was exited when it got so many GOTY awards, same with Bloodborne.

BUT, as of now I've only ever played through 1 of their games (Dark Souls 1). I tried Dark Souls 2 and bounced off of it pretty fast (mainly just didn't like how much faster the weapons degraded).

Been meaning to get back into Dark Souls 2 for ages, and if the rumors are true and Bloodborne comes to PC I'll probably get it too.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Excited? Not really.
But sometimes i see new characters for MortalKombat and think, wow, that looks great and fun.
But then i remember you have to press specific buttons in a special order during seconds, ...
It is not for me.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Only things like fortnite and eve online events.

Not really for me but they're interesting.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
at this point, i have a hard time getting excited for many of the games i know i'll be playing. so, no, not really...

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
There are some series where I don't really care for, but I have friends who are big fans of those franchises, so seeing another title makes me happy for them. Probably best example is Resident Evil. I won't go within six feet of the game because I don't do horror. However, one of my best friends is a big fan of the series, and hearing about the lore from him is interesting. So, I'm excited for Resident Evil Village.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Mainly not, but there're exceptions.

For example with Super Smash Bros, when they announce a new fighter for the game, even when I know it's not my type of game and I'll probably never play it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes. I don't play Souls games, but I love following the announcements, the designs, the atmosphere, people struggling. It's great fun.

There's more examples, but Souls definitely fits this bill most for me.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
No pretty indifferent but i get excited for what they can do because that transfers to other games. Like I didnt like Horizon and I do not care about the sequel buit the level of technology and almost 0 loading has me very excited.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
A little bit; I don't own an XB1X and probably won't get a XSX But I still look forward to their events and whatnot.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
All the time, half the fun of e3 for me is seeing other people excited for stuff too. It's why I'm not a fan of console launch years because everyone just argues over everything instead of enjoying the game.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I like to see what new games are doing. But its not even comparable to games I will play.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I would say yes for good/ interesting games in genres I'm not really into like fighting and RTS

But yeah OP, I have 100% always gotten excited for games that I want to play but just cant

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Not currently having a PC to game on, I often get "excited" about PC only indie games that I feel are pushing the envelope on the medium's possibility space. That's about it though. I definitely stay up on what's currently popular on consoles I don't own, but I don't really invest energy into getting excited about those things.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I don't get hype, but I always get a little excited for cool-looking stuff.

People get excited for fancy cars, sneakers, tech, etc. they know they'll never own/afford/whatever. Sometimes a thing existing is enough to be happy in some way.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
no, I only really get excited for things I know I'll play. I don't really keep up with something if I'm not interested in playing it.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
i've barely played Smash despite owning it but god damn is the new character hype infectious as fuck

like every single reveal is such a huge event and i absolutely love experiencing it and experiencing the sheer joy of people's reactions. such a great time

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I only get hype for things I'm interested in. Why would I feel excited for something I don't care about?

Edit: beaten by the post above!

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy seeing most 'big' game releases from a distance even if I'm not feeling them myself. Seeing people get excited over stuff is always good to see, and if it ends up being a belter of a game then it's great to see the reaction. Even if it's a dud, there's people there who enjoy it.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
absolutely. i champion and love when i see new games and what developers are doing. even with passion projects to dlc that brings Joy.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Of course, my sister plays some games i don't have any interest in... still... i look forward to gifting them to her.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. All the time. I don't mess with Fortnite yet I was glued to the Season change events, and people looking over the season changes.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every horror game. I know how much people love them, I can tell they are quality. Just too spooky for me.