• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you get annoyed when a really cool/well liked charcter dies in an extremely underwelming way?

• Yes

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So recently i have been getting more into World of Warcraft store and lore and in particular there is a particular charcter that i really liked named Tirion Fording.

He is easily one of the most nuaced charcters in the series - being a paladin who follows his own principles and honor above all else even if it cost him his reputation and his honor (which it did). Tirion was easily one of the main charcters in Wrath of the Lich King (i would say he is the main alliance charter in the game considering how important his role is). I really like the role he has in that game overall and his backstory and general ethics made me really like him...but in Leigon they did him extremely dirty despite everything he had gone through and everything he had gone through he just gets captured, tortured by demon and then passes away from his injuries while giving the Adventuer the Ashbringer and giving him the player the new Highlord of the reformed Silver Hand. I thought it was a really underwelming end for him considering he's an extremely important charcter in Warcraft and his death didn't even get a out of game cutscene send off - it was just extremely underwelming.

So it got me thinking - do you personally get annoyed when a charcter dies in an extremely underwelming way? I am curious to know. (also list any examples of this happening to you)

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Speaking of WoW, I still can't accept how they handled Yrel at the end (in the Mag'har unlock quest in BfA).

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Actually thinking about it, you could make a giant list of the most underwelming deaths of Warcraft because there is a lot of them

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I think this is a bad example. Tirion was an old old man who hadn't appeared in-game in any meaningful capacity since 2009's patch 3.3. Legion came out in 2016 with 7.0. The dude hadn't been relevant for four expansions and seven(!!!) years, and he was only meaningful in Wrath having come out of retirement in the first place. He was probably about to die of old age! The fact that they brought him back at all, showed how somehow he managed to live through torture that would have killed most other folks, and still managed to pass on his legacy seems like far more recognition of his place in the hearts of fans than I would have expected. Then after he died he remained central to several other plot threads, as the Death Knights tried to steal his body. Let the man rest, his death was fine.

I'm sure there are deaths that have felt wrong or misplayed in games, but this one ain't it.

Edit: In response to above post, Yrel's character assassination in BFA was far more of an unreasonable "death" than Tirion literally dying. What a miss.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm ok with both ways. That's just the reality of warfare and death, unfortunately. The mightiest warriors can and have been killed in an instant without a triumphant sending off both in fiction and reality. A game example and book example:

Both Manny and Jesse get headshot out of nowhere, and their character is just dead after that. Straight up, just dead. No final fight or moment of glory.

Fuck JK Rowling. That said, George Weasley just gets killed. In the background of a major battle. There are a few sentences about his family being devastated, and then that's that.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I think this is a bad example. Tirion was an old old man who hadn't appeared in-game in any meaningful capacity since 2009's patch 3.3. Legion came out in 2016 with 7.0. The dude hadn't been relevant for four expansions and seven(!!!) years, and he was only meaningful in Wrath having come out of retirement in the first place. He was probably about to die of old age! The fact that they brought him back at all, showed how somehow he managed to live through torture that would have killed most other folks, and still managed to pass on his legacy seems like far more recognition of his place in the hearts of fans than I would have expected. Then after he died he remained central to several other plot threads, as the Death Knights tried to steal his body. Let the man rest, his death was fine.

I'm sure there are deaths that have felt wrong or misplayed in games, but this one ain't it.
Fair enough, i just felt it was kinda underwelming.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Whether a character is well liked or not should have no bearing on their story treatment. Fan interference like that is how you get terrible pandering

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I actually really like ignominious deaths quite a lot. They are lot more jarring and non-romantic.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV (the post Realm Reborn bits)

Moenbryda was basically the first character who really "popped" pre-Heavensward, and she gets killed off. I couldn't even tell you what killed her, it was that underwhelming.

ss_02.png

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I feel like the push to Kadgar over Torino was a crime. I can't stand Kadgar

also they just killed off a character in Destiny in a lore story that I'm pretty sure 95% of the player base didn't read.​

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of WoW, I still can't accept how they handled Yrel at the end (in the Mag'har unlock quest in BfA).

Yes! They spent an entire expansion building her up and making her a really nuanced character, what an opportunity to add her as one of the main lore leaders of the Alliance going forward and to shake up the status quo. Instead they basically ignored her for an expansion then had her show up almost as an afterthought while we do circles with the same characters over and over.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
*bonk*
yjKR5ni.gif

Chaos didn't even get a boss fight, even though he was featured in a trailer. It's not false advertising but god damn what the hell were they thinking.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't too disappointed with how Tirion died because the Broken Shore experience was a big deal so it was a very big moment in the game. It was just weird that after getting blasted with fel by Krosus and then falling into fel that he survived. I think that took away some of the impact.

How was it? Last I saw her (as an ally) she just vowed to stay in WoD.

They basically turned her into an evil religious zealot because "LIGHT CAN BE EVIL TOO!!!!!"

Ugh.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I wasn't too disappointed with how Tirion died because the Broken Shore experience was a big deal so it was a very big moment in the game. It was just weird that after getting blasted with fel by Krosus and then falling into fel that he survived. I think that took away some of the impact.

They basically turned her into an evil religious zealot because "LIGHT CAN BE EVIL TOO!!!!!"

Ugh.
Oh. Shit. She had so much promise...
WoW kills a fuckton of lore characters, but at least most have the decency of being bosses.
Btw, who is the chained dude in Shadowlands launch trailer? I have all 3 chronicle books and none mention a chained death god.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
I get that life isn't always kind enough to give everyone a storybook ending, but I very frequently play video games and consume media as an escape from the hardships of life.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I get the disappointment in seeing Deckard Cain killed by a pretty shit character, but I never really got the overall outrage over his death. He was old as fuck and had no inherent power. It's not like he was ever going to go out in like some blaze of glory or whatever. It would have been 100% lore accurate for him to have been killed by a single random goat dude as Maghda.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesse from Last of Us 2 got done dirty.

He is probably the most likeable side character next to Lev, and defied my expectation of him being this "3rd wheel in a love triangle" where I was expecting him to be hostile towards Ellie for dating Dina and instead he was just super chill and was basically the best companion character with Ellie...

and then he just dies.