• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you follow the rule?

• Yes, strictly.

Votes: 15 0.8%
  • Loosely.

Votes: 192 10.6%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 1,596 88.4%

• Total voters

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Fuck that noise. If a game advertises itself on having 60 hours of gameplay, then that tells me it's a laboriously drawn out slog killing time that could be better spent on, like, eight other games.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard. If a game takes 60 hours to beat I don't even want to play it because it's most likely filled with repetitive content.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of that rule and I will gladly pay 60€ for a 10 hour or less game if it's fun.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this is overwhelmingly no. That's just crazy. Maybe when I was 16 and had way more time than money. Now I'm happy to pay more for short experiences if they're well crafted. Bloated games trying to add pointless fluff just to drag out an hour count is a way greater sin to me.

Oct 30, 2017
I find myself seldom paying full price for games. And I generally look for games with a fair amount of content. So I think I loosely follow this rule.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Hahaha, I'll never forget one of my coworkers arguing that No Man's Sky was going to be the greatest value for money game of all time because it has near-infinite playability.
He rushed out and bought it day one and I think he probably played it for no more than 5 hours.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
No. I just buy games I want to play.

The only point of comparison I use is a movie ticket. I pay 10 dollars for two hours of passive entertainment. So if I pay $60 for a game, I only need about 5 hours of playtime to feel like the purchase was justified.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
$20 for 12 hours is perfect for me. Games longer than that better be turn-based RPGs.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Never heard of that rule. Not to mention it's quite ridiculous. I'll take 15 hours of thrilling gameplay over 50+ hours of mind numbling grind anytime.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
They're worth the price if they're fun, I don't particularly care about the length. I played great 10 hrs games and great 100 hrs games and I don't prefer one over the other as long as it's fun.

In general I don't care about the price at all. If I think the game is good and I have time to play it I will buy it.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
No, I even prefer a great 8 hour game to a good 50 hour game. And would pay 60 bucks for it.
I didn't want to buy AC Odyssey because of its length and just bought it because I found it for a really cheap price.

Generally, I wait most of the time and rarely buy games at launch because I have so god damn many games to play. So my range is mostly up to 40 bucks, depending on the game, not its length.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of many ways to evaluate the value of a product but I only think about it very loosely. It's a plus for some games but not a negative for others

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

Gone Home was $20 and 3 hours long.

Still wound up being one of my favorite (and most important) games of the gen. in my opinion.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale is approximately an 8-10 hour game, but I'd easily pay $60 for it.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I don't follow the rule, but I do calculate how many dollars per hour played a game was worth for me. Just for curiosity, really.

For example, Picross S was worth 14 cents an hour (I played 55 hours of it, an $8 game), while Super Mario odyssey was basically a dollar per hour. I prefer SMO, nothing changes that, but it is a fun little statistic.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, that's like saying never mind the quality feel the width.

One of my greatest gaming memories was playing Journey on PS3. I tihnk that was around £13 at launch and took less than 2 hours to complete. In terms of time vs cost it's probably one of the most expensive games I've purchased but it was worth every penny. On the flip side I've paid £20 for a huge games and felt they weren't worth the price.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nah that seems a little silly and extreme.

However I will take into account value for money (like Hollow Knight, which is ridiculously cheap for how long it is).
Skyrim I guess falls under that too. If you like the kind of game it is, even at full price you will get a lot out of it, especially if you can mod it.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Loosely. Extremely loosely.

Quantity can matter if you're on a tight budget, but ultimately quality is king.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do this after I finish a game that was like $15 or $20 in a couple hours but just for fun.

I never use it as an actual metric for buying or deciding purchases lol

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
No and this awful logic is why so many games suffer from bad pacing and feature bloat, especially open world games.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I used to jokingly follow this rule back in middle/high school when I was tight on cash. Nowadays it just seems silly. Especially when I can't apply that logic to other entertainment.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The deal's not:
I'm giving the publisher X money, i want Y hours of game

for me it's:
I'm giving the game X hours, is each of them well spent?

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I'll more quickly buy a game that I know I'll get a ton of play time out of, sure.

But I have so little gaming time at this point in my life that I now actively seek out shorter games. I also now sometimes buy games with no intention of playing them, simply to support the developer. So there's no way I can follow that anymore.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Not at all. Quality over quantity all the time. I'm currently finishing up Horizon Zero Dawn and looking at what to play next of my backlog. Almost all of the games are 40 - 60 hour experiences. Games are too long, too bloated these days. Give me a nice 5-15 hour game over a 60 hour slog any time of the day.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I don't even bother with metrics for justifying video game purchases because every time I try to apply one I just end up contradicting myself and have no logical justification for if a game is worth it or not. I used to pay $50 back in the early 90s for 8 hour games like Mega Man X. And then 25 years later that same $50 would be about $88 today, so pretty much any game is worth whatever price to me as long as I enjoy it.

The obsession with length of a game is ridiculous. I'm in my 30s. I have a house to maintain and other hobbies that need taken care of. I don't care about price anymore. I can afford whatever. I care about how much I'm enjoying the time I spend in game because I can only get in maybe 6 games a year these days and don't need useless side quest filler to eat up my time.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
It a rule that makes sense when you don't have must money to spend on games, so when I had little free money I was always looking at how long a game would last me.

Now I have money it I can join of the rest of you and scoff at those who put value for money first.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Nah because that's completely illogical and the amount of hours of gameplay a game offers has zero connection to it's value or how much I'll enjoy it.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
I currently have 568 hours played on the Switch with a total of 943.18 EUR spent on the console and 23 games, giving me a rate of 1.66 EUR spent per hour.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Absolutely not. This would make sandbox games worth hundreds to thousands for some people. They're great, but they're not that great. Certainly this should be considered a quality of quantity. That said, some games really are worth more than others and the value should always be considered before buying.

If you're worried about saving money, look at ways entertainment budgets overlap and cut back elsewhere. Cut cable. Cut subscriptions you barely use, etc.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Games are quite expensive. Sure, buying a single game might not be, but when you consider everything that comes out in the year, even picking up a couple of games can cost you like $300.

So, to help save money, some internet genious decided to make the rule of only buying a game for how many hours it takes to beat, if it's a 20 hour game like Horizon Zero Dawn the price would be $20, a 40 hour game like Dark Souls 3 would be worth $40, and so on.

Personally, while I don't strictly follow the rule, I do tend to avoid buying games at full price if I know I'll get a max of like, 20 hours (The only exception I can think of is God of War, but I beat the game three times so it kind of evens out). Then there are games like Hollow Knight which offers like 30 hours at the very least for $15, and I'm much more inclined to buy games like that.
Was this "Internet genious" a shut in? Games are not expensive, a single night out with friends can easily reach $100 😯

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah of course.

Then when I play a 60 dollar game for 30 hours only I just force myself through 30 hours of a F2P game. It evens out.

Flawless logic.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If it's 1 dollar per hour it's most likely a big waste of my time. Like what kind of entertainment costs 1 dollar per hour? Watching grass grow costs more because at some point I might get thirsty and buy a coke.

10 dollars per hour sounds like a higher quality experience. Even then a bit on the cheap side.