• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Xbox "Smart Delivery" confusing to you?

• Yes

Votes: 75 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 315 80.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I won't lie, this is one of the few times I think Schreier is being willfully obtuse for the sake of a drumming up a response. At least based on the terms he uses in that tweet, it's not even a little bit confusing. It could be that he was being very unclear in his language.

The Smart Delivery designation means you get access to whatever the most up-to-date version of the game is, between XB1 and Series X. If there's a cross-gen release and/or an enhancement patch, you get that included with any version of the game. Your console determines the install.

If there's no plans for an enhancement patch or Series X version of the game, (1) it won't have the Smart Delivery label until that changes, and (2) you'll be playing the BC version.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
MS has been clear. Buy game, get most optimized version for current console. It's the third parties who are being weird about it mainly because we don't know how the next gen SKUs will shake out. But it's clear there will only be one version of Halo Infinite on store shelves.

I do wonder though, for third parties who aren't into Smart Delivery, if there will be two SKUs for cross gen games. Probably?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's also a re-thinking of what was done in the past. It's difficult to educate people, but once they start doing it it'll all make sense and become second nature.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not confusing at all. Jason's tweet seems to be an effort to drum up console wars on twitter more than anything.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
What I find more confusing is that Sony has had a consistent "upgrade" which sounds like I'm losing access to my games on the generation below where xbox just says I can play it on both.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Lmao. How can this be confusing?

Willing to bet money the overwhelmingly amount of "confused" people are concern trolling. This probably isn't the thing people should latch onto about being "confused," though. Their messaging has been crystal clear for a while now, as evident by this thread.

Oct 26, 2017
But what's the difference between the XSX version and the BC version which is patched to take advantage of the XSX hardware?

Not at all.

"full next gen version" means the game had substantive change done to it to improve it to use the new console capabilities.

"backwards compatibility with performance boost" should be an automatic improvement the BC software will do to the older games.

"BC version which is patched " at this point is just a next gen native version.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But what's the difference between the XSX version and the BC version which is patched to take advantage of the XSX hardware?

well the bc version will probably enhanced on a system level basis, not speciffically for the game.

when it is enhance specifically for the game it just becomes a series x version,.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Nah, not really.

What I've heard so far about it has made sense.

I'm kind of hoping for a table similar to what they have for the OneX enhancements at the moment. I imagine they will probably have something like that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's confusing to others because Sony already has a name for it which is crossbuy. Microsoft just wanted to have their own name for essentially the same thing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about both consoles.........

..........you people lmao

I mean you can see in this very thread where half of the posts are "its not confusing at all, its separate versions" and the other half are "its not confusing at all, they are the same version with enhancements"

Nov 11, 2017
Its only confusing ita you want to be confused . They've done a really good job explaining it. Several tutorials xbox wires podcast promotions etc

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It is confusing in the sense that:
"Xbox Series X: Buy A Game Once and Play the Best Version Across Generations with Smart Delivery"

which makes it seem like this is across the board with all games if there is a better version.

but reality is that is based on:

Well, it means that if you purchase the Xbox One version of a supported title, we will deliver the best version of it to your Xbox One, as usual. If you decide to jump into the next generation with Xbox Series X, we will automatically provide the Xbox Series X version of the game at no additional cost when it becomes available. You won't need to do anything in terms of choosing a version to download. We'll take care of all of that. And it's not just limited to games that you purchase digitally; physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement it.

Thats whats confusing to me. But really smart delivery is only if a publisher supports it. a publisher can if they wanted to not opt to do this. and honestly the way people make it seem its a big deal when reality its just packaged up as simply a cross gen buy, if supported by a manufacturer.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Nope it's pretty clear, if there is a next gen version of a game, you get that version if you play on next gen hardware and current gen version if you are playing on current gen hardware.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I find it very hard to believe this individual doesn't know what it means or find the messaging confusing. MS has been pretty clear on it and has released several bits about it.

It's either Jason has no interest in what MS has put out in regards to that or he's being deliberately obtuse for reasons.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A poem

the tweet
is not
about
xbox smart delivery
what is wrong
with
you people

Oct 25, 2017
I have barely looked into the feature but I assume it just means it will download whatever version is appropriate for the console you're playing. Which will either be the backwards compatible version, or the native version, depending on what the developer makes available.
It's kind of an abstract idea to so prominently float in front of the average consumer, but I don't think it's complicated.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Boost mode : no change in assets, just a higher resolution if dynamic and more stable framerate. Which requires nothing from the developer and the series x does the heavy lifting

Smart Delivery: Due to some exclusives being cross gen. If you buy a game for the xbox one you will get the series x version for no charge. The series x optimization might include higher assets, a higher framerate and other bells and whistles. Developer makes a xbox one version and a series x version.

The fact that PS4 Pro boost mode really didn't do anything is what confuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.