• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Mario 64 creepy

• Yes I am creeped out by Super Mario 64

Votes: 199 19.6%
  • No wtf is this??

Votes: 697 68.8%
  • Some early 3D games are unsettling, but not Mario 64

Votes: 117 11.5%

• Total voters

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a little kid, it was the first 3D game I played. Sometimes when running around parts of the castle with the pitter patter of Mario's feet would be kinda unsettling. Like the echo sounds were weird.

I'm not weirded out by it now but some audio quirks were just...off? It's hard to explain. Idk about that other shit in the OP though lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't quite fit the topic, but there's this bit from the Iwata Asks on Mario Galaxy that sticks with me. I don't know if Nintendo maintains this, but it lends to my thinking that Mario was originally meant to have a harder image that he does now.

Yokota: When the track was rejected, the words that Kondo-san had said really stuck with me. Those words were "Yokota-san, if somewhere in your mind you have an image that Mario is cute, please get rid of it."

Iwata: I see.

Yokota: When I heard that, I realized that I had always had this image that Mario was a character for kids, and without realizing it, I had been composing "cute" music that I thought would appeal to children. I asked Kondo-san at the time, "Then what kind of music would work with Mario?" He replied that "Mario is cool".

Iwata: You must have thought, "You could have told me that in the first place!" (laughs)

All: (laughs)

Yokota: At first, all he told me was "If it matches the game, you can make anything you want". (laughs)

Kondo: When I worked on composing music for Mario, I never had the image of Mario being cute. I had always worked on composing music based on what I thought was cool at that moment in time. For the Mario games on the SNES and the Nintendo 64, I composed the music thinking about what kind of music was popular, and what was going on in the world at the time. I composed music that I thought sounded cool at the time, and I made them fit the visuals of Mario games.
Thinking back to the way I composed the music back then, I think saying that "Mario's music should sound cool" is the most opposite way to describe what these pieces were aiming for.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I could see how some people find it creepy. Outside of stuff like Bob-Omb Battlefield and Rainbow Ride, the levels don't really have a typically bright, friendly atmosphere. There's a lot of empty areas with (relatively) realistic textures and uncanny enemies with weird faces ...

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
No, man. It's not some vague inexpressible feeling like "creepy", it's distinctly frightening and unsettling at times by design. Trapped in a magic castle with secrets hidden around every corner, overrun by strange monsters and haunted by ghosts, there are bound to be some dark moments. It's pretty much Resident Evil in the Mario-verse, though there are also moments of great freedom and beauty in the sun that make it an enjoyably varied experience.

There's...

1. literally a haunted house level
9. A piano with teeth that tries to eat you
2. A staircase that magically goes on forever
3. A painting that morphs from the Princess' smiling face into a snarling horned monster as you approach
4. Trapdoor in the floor
5. a cave in the basement filled with giant water-bugs, bats, and poisonous gas
6. A painting of the devil that leads to hell complete with lava and shit
7. giant underwater eels
8. A painting only visible through a mirror

Etc.

Last edited:

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
I never got creeped out with Mario 64, but when I was a kid I got creeped out a lot while playing Glover for some reason lol

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I dont think its creepy but there are some creepy aspects that I find interesting.

I love this sort of stuff so.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
As a kid who was scared of the haunted forest in Paper Mario and needed a friend to get through it for me, no, I was not scared of Mario 64. I always associate 3D Mario games with bright colors and carefree happy atmosphere. Weird take.

(I was also scared of Spy Kids)

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Mario 64 and the first Tomb Raider on PSX were both somewhat erie/off-putting for this exact reason.

But definitely in a good, weird kind of surreal way that is very impactful/memorable when you are a kid.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
As a kid it was super creepy and as an adult I dream of finding a game again with that kind of vague malice. Like, as a kid playing it I just had no idea how it worked or what was it was not possible + the music + the actual genuinely creepy bits and it was perfect.

Kid me's opinions:

Wee Bit Freaky: Peach's Castle
Wee Bit Freaky: All Hidden Levels
Not Scary: Bob-omb Battlefield
Wee Bit Freaky: Whomp's Fortress
Eerie: Jolly Roger Bay
Not Scary: Cool, Cool Mountain
Scary: Big Boo's Haunt
Scary: Hazy Maze Cave
Not Scary: Lethal Lava Land
Not Scary: Shifting Sand Land
Eerie: Dire Dire Docks
Eerie: Snowman's Land
Scary: Wet-dry World
Not Scary: Tall, Tall Mountain
Meh: Tiny-huge Island
Meh: Tick Tock Clock
Meh: Rainbow Ride

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl I was kinda scared as a kid of the music in big boos haunt and the huge gaping holes in the level.

I was also scared of alien 3 for NES. The title screen alone was so creepy I never made it past that.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I did find it kind of "mature" when I played it as a kid. Maybe it was just because of the underwater and haunted levels.

Nov 1, 2017
The only thing that jumps out to me as uncomfortable is the courtyard where there's no music and only ambient sounds. I don't know why but it's always bothered me in games. Similarly in Mario Galaxy I felt most uncomfortable in the worlds that just had an eerie ambience to them. I wouldn't consider the lack of NPC characters as creepy though because Mario games in general never really had a lot of them. Super Mario World had Peach and Yoshi, and that was basically it. Most of the dialogue came from the narrator. I can see the general visual style making people feel creeped out though since early 3D wasn't exactly the most pleasing to look at.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
As a kid SM64 did scare the crap out of me but it was due to the more strange and weird stuff that felt unsafe

like, I hated jolly rodger due to EVERYTHING, eel, clams, you name it, never got any stars there until I was 14

Tiny Huge Island had that fucking fish which made me scream so hard that my mom saw the tv, and screamed as well being horrified by it too, I literally only got stars on that world starting *last September*, meaning that yes, I ignored it for 22 years due to how much I hate that fish (sadly my plan to revenge kill it didn't work)

nowadays though SM64 is pretty fine for me and it's more funny than anything else

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
Things that creeped me out in Super Mario 64:

1. The piano
2: The eel
3: The reverb in the castle lobby

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I never got creeped out with Mario 64, but when I was a kid I got creeped out a lot while playing Glover for some reason lol
It is kind of weird Glover and his counterpart are conscious lifeforms that the wizard in the intro just wore as gloves. Like how'd he put them on? Just jam his hands inside their skin? wtf?

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Mario 64 definitely has an uncanny atmosphere, it feels like such a black sheep because it came out before Nintendo really standardized what the Mario franchise should actually look and feel like.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of weird Glover and his counterpart are conscious lifeforms that the wizard in the intro just wore as gloves. Like how'd he put them on? Just jam his hands inside their skin? wtf?
They were just gloves and the freak accident in the intro made them sentient, at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Plubio

Nov 12, 2019
Spain
Man every time someone says Wet Dry World is unsettling or creepy I feel bad because it is such an AMAZING level in every single aspect. I pretty much replay SM64 only to experience that level again.
Love it, but not for its (no) creepiness :(.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I was ~9 when it came out, and yeah, it did creep me out a little bit. Not any of the levels, though; just the castle. Even the dark or spooky stages all just felt like normal game levels, but something about the emptiness of the "this space is clearly meant to be occupied by people" castle hub did actually spook me out.

The last couple years of Mario 64 creepypastas don't quite hit that exact feeling for me, but they're fun.

Smash 64 was the creepy one.

This legit makes me remember my friend's creepy basement, always filled with friends and pizza boxes, but also some startlingly dark corners that were hard to ignore during sleepovers.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It doesn't quite fit the topic, but there's this bit from the Iwata Asks on Mario Galaxy that sticks with me. I don't know if Nintendo maintains this, but it lends to my thinking that Mario was originally meant to have a harder image that he does now.
Yokota: When the track was rejected, the words that Kondo-san had said really stuck with me. Those words were "Yokota-san, if somewhere in your mind you have an image that Mario is cute, please get rid of it."

Iwata: I see.

Yokota: When I heard that, I realized that I had always had this image that Mario was a character for kids, and without realizing it, I had been composing "cute" music that I thought would appeal to children. I asked Kondo-san at the time, "Then what kind of music would work with Mario?" He replied that "Mario is cool".

Iwata: You must have thought, "You could have told me that in the first place!" (laughs)

All: (laughs)

Yokota: At first, all he told me was "If it matches the game, you can make anything you want". (laughs)

Kondo: When I worked on composing music for Mario, I never had the image of Mario being cute. I had always worked on composing music based on what I thought was cool at that moment in time. For the Mario games on the SNES and the Nintendo 64, I composed the music thinking about what kind of music was popular, and what was going on in the world at the time. I composed music that I thought sounded cool at the time, and I made them fit the visuals of Mario games.
Thinking back to the way I composed the music back then, I think saying that "Mario's music should sound cool" is the most opposite way to describe what these pieces were aiming for.

I think about that quoted Iwata Asks excerpt a lot when thinking about the Mario games and similar... It's true; Mario isn't a game that ever strived to come across as "cute", and IMO that's one of its main strengths.

In the context of Mario 64, it means that everything comes across with more atmosphere, whether it's Jolly Roger Bay's calm, Hazy Maze Cave's darkness, or Big Boo Mansion's general creepiness. Those characteristics aren't mixed with / watered down with a whole lot of cuteness.

(That's actually my main problem with later Yoshi games, to me they come across as overly "cute" and therefore have a completely different feeling from the more atmospheric and intense characteristics of the original Yoshi's Island.)

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
As a kid I thought it was creepy. Unagi is obviously creepy for kids, but other than that I was very creeped out by the entire Jolly Roger Bay world, and underwater levels in general. I enjoyed them too, but they were always a little unsettling. I was also creeped out by those water skating spiders in one of the levels, yeah Mario 64 wasn't a game that made me scared per se, but as a child I thought a lot of things about the game were eerie.

Edit to add that I still find 3d platformers creepy sometimes. A floating stage or obstacle course in the middle of nowhere or floating above a blue sky of nothingness just tickles my brain in a way that feels a little odd. I even felt that way playing Bowser's Fury. I enjoy it and I don't want it to go away, but I can't explain the feeling.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes. Even as a kid it had a weird feeling to it. I remember seeing the bunny in the basement and being creeped out by it suddenly being there. Also the hidden boo in the wall. It always made me think that something else was lurking in the distance but I couldn't see it

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
No. Not at all.

I think anyone who may have found it creepy was probably very young at the time.

Embrodak

Oct 30, 2017
Yep I agree, the general atmosphere can be a bit creepy at times.

Not as bad as Zelda OoT though, that game still haunts me.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Mario 64 definitely has an uncanny atmosphere, it feels like such a black sheep because it came out before Nintendo really standardized what the Mario franchise should actually look and feel like.
I mean...Odyssey has a T-rex completely outside the art style. Is it really standardized? Mario 64 feels more in line with the original Mario Bros. games as far as how the levels play out and the mix of biomes. The hub-world is just super unique and filled with lots of cool mysteries.

All of the mentions of Mario being completely alone...uh there is Toad who you frequently encounter around the castle and who gives you stars. I don't recall the 2d Mario games having a plethora of NPCs aside from Mario RPG?

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Nope, not scary at-
R8b666b3fdfb25473ab21988a5e5a1044

....Think I'll play Goldeneye

Last edited:

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I mean...Odyssey has a T-rex completely outside the art style. Is it really standardized? Mario 64 feels more in line with the original Mario Bros. games as far as how the levels play out and the mix of biomes. The hub-world is just super unique and filled with lots of cool mysteries.
I would argue the T-rex and
the dragon
made such an impact on people because those are the only two examples in recent times where Nintendo got weird with Mario again. Things have been pretty standard fare since the early 2000s.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I was 16 when it launched and I got my N64 so I wasn't scared by any of it at the time. I loved that game and played it so much. I had a second tv in my room that sat on top of my main tv and I would leave SM64 running almost nonstop on that bottom tv (while watching television on the top one) for months. But going back to it now I can absolutely see how someone who may have been younger might have been scared of parts. I can also see how people who came up on more robust later 3D games may find the isolation of that game creepy.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
It's just Mario....mostly alone....running around a strangely desolate world.
Kinda creepy.
Okay, come on now people, Super Mario 64 is not desolate. The castle hub world is filled with hidden secrets, weird monsters, trapdoors, ghosts, and all sorts of scary shit, but it's not desolate. There are plenty of lush, beautiful areas, and wacky NPCs to meet along the way. Like, come on now.

tumblr_nfhkv16OfX1s3uawvo1_r1_500.gifv

tumblr_pycteg9yWe1xkhvtbo1_400.gifv

tumblr_oe8xxtLwF61s3uawvo1_500.gifv

tumblr_nljnczuXXM1s3uawvo1_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_nfpoj0SkZn1s3uawvo1_r2_500.gifv

Okay, come on now people, Super Mario 64 is not desolate. The castle hub world is filled with hidden secrets, weird monsters, trapdoors, ghosts, and all sorts of scary shit, but it's not desolate.

Sorry - I just meant there aren't a lot of other humans running around - in particular, running around the inside of the castle by your lonesome....

...and the living creatures, while they certainly exist, still aren't necessarily in abundance.
Though that's still common nowadays, there's something about the low-poly, occasionally 2D assets that turn it into creepyville.

It's a great game, definitely not trying to diminish it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Sorry - I just meant there aren't a lot of other humans running around - in particular, running around the inside of the castle by your lonesome....

...and the living creatures, while they certainly exist, still aren't necessarily in abundance.
Though that's still common nowadays, there's something about the low-poly, occasionally 2D assets that turn it into creepyville.

It's a great game, definitely not trying to diminish it.
Lol no worries, it just seemed like the hyperbole in the thread was tending to snowball. Mario 64's my jam and even the hub world always seemed decently populated to me with the birds chirping and butterflies fluttering around the courtyard, Toad with his hints and secret stars around the castle, the rabbit in the basement, etc. Obviously there is some dark, mysterious shit hidden around the castle but I never found it unintentional.

Like...how many human NPCs were in the og Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario World?