• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's just organization is a hella weak argument. Who going to get lost if there are Asian noodles in the noodles aisle?

I didn't say it's "just organization"; I said the food being organized is convenient. The labels are problematic.

And it's convenient because when you want to make an Italian dish all the fixings are in the same aisle, same as when you want to make an Asian dish.

What's weak is taking my post and boiling it down to "it's just organization." I didn't say that, it wasn't my "argument" at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
As a south asian guy, I live in the ethnic foods sections. I haven't made an actual sandwich in years.

I actually find it increasingly hard to justify not exclusively visiting asian groceries. They just have more stuff there.
As a white dude married to a half-Filipino, half-Pakistani woman I also can vouch for the amazing-ness of the big Asian grocery. Giant bags of rice. All day.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
No? It allows me to easily find ingredients that used to require me to go out of the way before. Depends on the store, some have a better selection than others. I guess it depends where you live too, in terms of community diversity and what not.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it's "just organization"; I said the food being organized is convenient. The labels are problematic.

And it's convenient because when you want to make an Italian dish all the fixings are in the same aisle, same as when you want to make an Asian dish.

What's weak is taking my post and boiling it down to "it's just organization." I didn't say that, it wasn't my "argument" at all.
Except here in america the "Italian aisle" is just the noodle and sauce aisle. Is going from spaghetti to ramen noddles that big of a problem? Or from tomato to fish sauce? Or Ketchup to Gochjang?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
It's never called anything like 'ethnic' here in Germany, rather something like 'international kitchen'. And I'm totally fine with that. Obviously food that is eaten very regularly here but originates from somewhere else like pasta, greek joghurt etc. are in the regular sections. But some ingredients that aren't that commonly used in the german kitchen like premade tikka masala paste is often found in the international section. In some markets the international section constantly changes its products so it is obviously meant for things people usually buy very rarely. In these cases tikka masala would be somewhere in the regular aisle for sauce.

Oh and food from big ethnic minority groups in Germany are also all in the regular sections, like turkish sausages or ayran drinks, or polish specialties.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
It's just organization is a hella weak argument. Who going to get lost if there are Asian noodles in the noodles aisle?
It's not really a weak argument. Grocery stores tend to group things together where they can for convenience. What are you putting on pasta? Probably tomato sauce. Tomato sauce and pasta are near each other. Who's putting tomato sauce on rice noodles? Who's eating pasta with soy sauce? Nobody.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are saying it's convienent as everything is in one place when they are looking to make a specific dish, but this doesn't extend at all to the rest of the super market? Like if I want to make a sandwich, I have to go to the deli section, the condiment section, the bread section, the potato chip section, etc.

It's more like that with Hispanic cuisine in places like South Texas where they pull Hispanic food out of the International aisle into it's own massive thing. They'll typically also have expanded Hispanic oriented offerings in the meat, bakery, and produce sections as well.

So I think they'll integrate the products more if the local demographics support a massive storewide change like that as opposed to putting it into one particular aisle.

There's also a massive, massive amount of science and statistics that goes into which products get placed where in each store that I'm pretty confident there isn't a problematic situation happening (for instance those security cameras aren't just for security and they're literally watching you scan your eyes up and down the shelves). Not that people aren't racist as fuck in other situations so much as in this particular case corporate greed is outweighing any bigotry.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a weak argument. Grocery stores tend to group things together where they can for convenience. What are you putting on pasta? Probably tomato sauce. Tomato sauce and pasta are near each other. Who's putting tomato sauce on rice noodles? Who's eating pasta with soy sauce? Nobody.
Covered that
Except here in america the "Italian aisle" is just the noodle and sauce aisle. Is going from spaghetti to ramen noddles that big of a problem? Or from tomato to fish sauce? Or Ketchup to Gochjang?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No. Maybe I forgot to buy soy sauce at the Asian supermarket and don't want to think too hard about where it might be found.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
A lot of people are saying it's convienent as everything is in one place when they are looking to make a specific dish, but this doesn't extend at all to the rest of the super market? Like if I want to make a sandwich, I have to go to the deli section, the condiment section, the bread section, the potato chip section, etc.
Exactly. It's only convenient if you're going to a supermarket expressly for one recipe, in which case, people are better off going to a specialty store. But then that gets into demographics, markets, and availability.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad era responded mostly that this is not a big deal. I'm Hispanic and I use the Hispanic aisle when I need to cook my region's cuisine, simple as that.

sometimes this site gets close to parodying its own left wing outrage a little too on-the-nose

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, stores always put similar things by similar things, it isn't that hard to understand

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
At the grocery stores here, the only stuff that's in the "International" aisles are the products that were imported from outside of North America and Europe.

All domestically produced stuff is placed with everything else, even if it's "ethnic" so to speak.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They do put the sliced cheese and the deli meats next to each other at just about every store I've ever gone to.

And the bread is usually as close as possible too..the nearest non-refrigerated aisle.

It's a mix of generic placement and non-generic placement depending on the ingredient. Vegetables get their own area so can't really be organized by dish, but things like "put the dips next to the chips" or "put the marinara next to the pasta" are common. Same with grouping ingredients regionally.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. The food im looking for, conveniently located in the same spot, so I can be in and out.

Bonus points if they stock local and or minority owned brands

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Asian girlfriend. Whenever we enter a new supermarket she instantly wants to find the World Food section, so I am guessing she is pretty cool with the idea.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I think it most supermarkets it largely
Is integrated with other similar foods. You still get the small "World Foods" section which tends to have the niche, specific ingredients for certain dishes which is quite handy I guess though there isn't really a reason these also can't be integrated too.

I've never really thought about it that way actually, it's a good point.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No. Really only specialty type products not seen in North America normally are in the international aisle. There is other products that are ethnic in the other aisle's.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a distinction in the type of bread. Does my wife want me to pick up:
Sourdough Bread
Wheat Bread
Rye Bread
Pumpernickel Bread
Naan Bread

I'm not sure why this bothers you.
It...doesn't bother me? Speaking as an Indian, I was just checking to make sure you knew (and also attempting to just make a joke). People need clarification when you say sourdough, not so much when you say naan because the word "naan" literally means bread.

I'll leave you to it, I guess.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got gluten-free soy sauce from one of these. I didn't even know the regular ones had the glutens, so thanks, ethnic aisle!

Also, is funny to go to the American aisle at Asian grocery stores and see, like, ketchup and Doritos.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The most offensive thing in this thread is that some of y'all think Italian food is jarred "spaghetti sauce."

SMH.

Dried herbs and spices aren't in the same aisle as pastas, nevermind fresh ones. And... I don't want to eat any ground sausage that isn't at least in the meat department being safely refrigerated.

It's nice that all the Asian seasonings are in one section in white American supermarkets, but I'm afraid to know what y'all consider "Asian" food if you can get all your ingredients for a dish in one aisle.

Asian girlfriend. Whenever we enter a new supermarket she instantly wants to find the World Food section, so I am guessing she is pretty cool with the idea.

Yeah my Asian husband really likes the international section too. Shit's totes whack.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
What was more problematic was the time I found Marmite in the middle of the Asian section, surrounded by Fish Sauce, Kimchi and various curry pastes:

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Just organization"? That's like saying "just" the ability of customers to easily find staple products and their complements, but that is literally what grocery stores do. Product placement within a grocery store is incredibly important, or at least people in the business seem to believe it is. I guarantee you that major chains spend tens of millions of dollars mix-maxing their product placement. If there is a 1% chance that the Pho noodles, bought by 0.5% of customers, will confuse one of the 99% of customers buying spaghetti and then that customer forgets to buy the accompanying marinara sauce, then the Pho noodles are at risk of getting cut from the store entirely -- unless, perhaps, as per the link, the Pho producer wants to pay out for a specific spot on the shelf. Even then I doubt being put next to the spaghetti and marinara is going to do Pho any favors.

I agree that lumping a bajillion different cuisines into "ethnic" warrants at least a raised eyebrow but, as I understand it, the financial stakes here are actually really high, and product organization is going to have to reflect the way a store's customer base shops.

Caveat: I have no actual inside knowledge of the industry, so anyone who does is welcome to slap me down.
Whether or not you consider the specialized isles racist, "it's ok because it's profitable" seems like a weak excuse.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not really no.

This reminds me, we have "American food" shelves here in Finland.

BXxN7yB.jpg

RMDl0Et.jpg
How dare this Finnish store not have all of those American products spread out across the store?

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Also, when I shop at a global food grocery store, the aisles are organized by country (with some fuzziness) instead of by type of food. It's great and helps people find what they're looking for. Hell, the Asian grocery store has different aisles for Chinese noodles, Japanese noodles, and Korean noodles. It's helpful.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Whether or not you consider the specialized isles racist, "it's ok because it's profitable" seems like a weak excuse.

Holy shit...what you quoted...

That is a gem of a post.

I *especially* like the explanation of pho noodles and marinara sauce.

Wild RICE NOODLE appears.
RICE NOODLE uses Confusion!
It's super effective!
KAREN is confused.
KAREN forgets marinara sauce in her confusion!
KAREN runs away!

Last edited:

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This doesn't only happen with food

All big supermarkets here in Southern Africa clearly separate Ethnic/Black hair care and skin care from everything else

The reality is just that its much more convenient for the consumer

Also, these companies spend hundreds of millions of $ on ensuring their stores are convenient, but also force the customer to walk through every isle, so this will never go away

Source: I work in buying for a retail chain and have to deal with all of Dunnhumbys BS on a weekly baisis

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
At least most supermarkets try some sort of cataloguing around regions, countries and continents. Anyone who's seen World Music as a genre at their local CD store knows the real problem.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The term "regional" would be better suited than the term "ethnic", but aside from vocabulary, there's nothing wrong with the practice itself. Different parts of the world use different and sometimes exclusive ingredients.

For example, take decent pita bread which is usually hard to find in lots of American grocery stores. Putting pita in a strictly Middle Eastern section or Greek section would be inconvenient and inefficient because it's consumed significantly in the entire shared region. A section that encompasses the Mediterranean region just make more sense.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

AFAIK grocery stores are not a high profit margin business, so providing a good customer experience can be an existential issue. And based on many responses in this thread, a lot of people like specialized isles and find them convenient. Even if one believes they are racist, I think it helps to understand the practical and financial reasons these things exist, if you want to actually convince anyone else that there's a problem or propose solutions.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No. As a minority, they're convenient as hell.
Why is this even an issue? I swear it feels like in America there's a demographic who just find things to complain about.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
If anything I wish there were more sections like that. I have a local grocer nearby specializing in Eastern European imports, and they've got all kinds of meats, dairy products, conserves, condiments, canned vegetables and spreads that just aren't sold even at "nicer" supermarkets like Wegmans.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Not really no.

This reminds me, we have "American food" shelves here in Finland.

BXxN7yB.jpg

RMDl0Et.jpg
All I see is sugar. And what's with the off-brand Sriracha label? Did they change it and I missed it? Wait, what's with the Nintendo products?! How is that American? At least you don't get the dregs of our peanut butter.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The most offensive thing in this thread is that some of y'all think Italian food is jarred "spaghetti sauce."

SMH.

Dried herbs and spices aren't in the same aisle as pastas, nevermind fresh ones. And... I don't want to eat any ground sausage that isn't at least in the meat department being safely refrigerated.

The point wasn't that it's super authentic Italian food though.

It's not a coincidence though that pasta + what Americans consider Italian sauces + shitty Parmesan cheese (with sawdust!) are generally all in the same aisle. It's how your average American sees "Italian" food. My point was it's kinda of lame that we don't just label it as such, as it would be more consistent (authentic or not.)

But yeah.. meat is in another part of the store. That goes for any dish you are trying to create; I don't think anyone is saying they LITERALLY can get everything in one aisle. Unless people are cooking without meat and vegetables.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
The only seasonings worth a damn are found in the International aisle. America could really stand a bit more separation in grocery stores. There's amazing American cuisine all around America - minus California - but we can't even get a Creole section.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I read it as 'erotic sections' shifting the thread list quickly.
What a double take...

saint

Oct 27, 2017
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????