• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
It was great and enjoyable. I liked the reveals, especially Outer Worlds and Mortal Kombat XI.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I agree with the OP, but I also think we're in that weird late gen phase where a lot of devs are working on next gen titles and most of the stuff we saw in the past year or so during the last TGA and E3 is what we're getting coming up.

There were some hype reveals though, both a new CTR and Joker in Smash I don't think anyone leaked or saw coming so both were really awesome and even though everyone knew MK 11 was gonna be there they still did a cool fake out with a pretty hype trailer and release date info.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Only games that poked my interest were the CTR remake, andThe Outer Worlds and the DLC reveal for Joker in Smash. Good show but not much I'm personally looking forward to.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tis alright. Last year felt more hype and concise but there were a looot of cool indie games this year. Metroid would've made the event, but whatever, sometimes things weren't meant to be

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. "Worlds will change" implies something meaningful. Having every other reveal be an early access indie game is not meaningful. The only real significant reveal I can think of was Obsidian's game. Everything else was garbage, or stuff we already knew about.

To be fair, the 'Worlds Will Change' tag was discussed in the preshow and Geoff said the meaning behind it was the trend of games now that evolve over time with events like the Cube/rifts in Fortnite and Overwatch events and stuff. It's a reflection of where games are at. Not specifically a tease that 'we'll have world changing announcements'.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't help but laugh opening my browser this morning, imagine having watched it live lol.
Not that I need more games this gen really but still, it got hyped up and failed miserably.
Sony might have chosen the right path keeping it quiet for a while now.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
They had some pretty good gets and few awkward moments than last year so I would say it delivered for me.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely. I think expecting something on the caliber of E3 is really misguided.

The Pathless from Giant Squid, Hades from Supergiant, MK11, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Far Cry: New Dawn, CTR, Anthem continues to look awesome, new Dragon Age, The Outer Worlds looks phenomenal, new DMC5 footage, a bunch of super well done live music performances. It felt like a fun celebration of games and a fun way to round out the year.

Last edited:

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I'm in a weird position - the vast majority of the new games they showed don't interest me personally, but I still have a feeling that it was a cool showing. I saw myself smiling at the Marvel Ultimate Alliance announcement for Switch, for example, even though I generally have no interest in super heroes and probably won't get the game at all.

Either way, I think TGA has been slowly cementing itself as sort of a mini-E3 in December, and that can only be a good thing.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Tis alright. Last year felt more hype and concise but there were a looot of cool indie games this year. Metroid would've made the event, but whatever, sometimes things weren't meant to be

I was definitely expecting a "Oh, and one last thing before we go" type of deal with Prime 4 gameplay bit/cinematic, maybe even a release date and then do something batshit crazy like the original trilogy remastered on the Switch with a "Out Tonight in the eShop" reveal at the end.

That would have definitely saved the show for everyone. lol

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
To be fair, the 'Worlds Will Change' tag was discussed in the preshow and Geoff said the meaning behind it was the trend of games now that evolve over time with events like the Cube/rifts in Fortnite and Overwatch events and stuff. It's a reflection of where games are at. Not specifically a tease that 'we'll have world changing announcements'.

I mean, of course he would clarify it minutes away from the actual show, but it was a marketing tool for viewers to believe the show was going to be huge this year.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Same as always, over hyped, underwhelming even with such low expectations.
What still can say though, is that I certainly do appreciate the attempt to please as many as possible and have such an event for the industry.

Nov 23, 2017
I felt like there were too many indie announcements but I was fine with the announcements overall. I was super excited for Crash Team Racing and Joker in Smash. This is an awards show so I'll never raise my expectations enough to treat it like E3. Geoff has done a really good job the past couple years.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I liked was The Pathless.

Everything else was 😴

I can't wait for whenever Sony has their own show again.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Really loved the Far Cry: New Dawn, Rage 2, The Outer Worlds, The Pathless, The next Dragon Age game, and The Last Campfire trailers. I'm sure I'm missing others, but those are the ones I can remember off of the top of my head.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's an awards show and not a conference it did pretty good. Not world changing but by no means below what was expected of it unless you were deep in the rumor mill

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Show was really well done but as far as announcement it was really meh, outside of DMCV hype i really needed that Metroid Trilogy drop

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Where's the poll? But yeah, I was pleased. Maybe could had been better if Obsidian's new game (game of the show) and Far Cry etc. were complete surprises and not announced before the show. But there was definitely a lot of interesting looking stuff and even something fans of the game have been waiting for a really long time with Crash Team Racing. People shouldn't confuse "these games didn't interest me" with "nobody is interested in these games" or "these games aren't worth to get excited about". The show offered a diverse lineup of announcements and trailers, I'm really surprised if there wasn't anything at all that would have your interest. Though I get that simple short teases and CGI trailers don't get someone excited. Except when they do, like with Sekiro last year. Though the Dragon Age tease this year was also probably relevant to more people than Sekiro was.
Definitely. Lots of great reveals. Better than some conventions.

But I think the TGAs sacrifice the prestige of the awards by being a marketing event.

I understand why they need it, logistically. Reveals bring in viewers. Viewers bring in advertisers. Advertises bring in money so they can keep producing the awards. I get it.

But I don't know how viable it is long term to try to be both things.
Comparing to other gaming award shows, it seems to be really viable. Compared to the prestigious BAFTA:s, the puplic interest is on whole another level. https://www.resetera.com/threads/bafta-games-awards-2018.35738/

I don't know how the viewership for the show was this year, but last year it was over 11 million. It's more than pure tradeshows at E3 get. So combining awards with marketing seems to be really viable. Trying to please everyone rather than just specific group of people works here.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I thought overall they did a good job. I think some people are sad they didn't get a massive game announcement like Sekiro but you can't announce what isn't there. What they did announced was varied in genres and looked good. Also they did a good job breaking it up throughout the show.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I think Keighley needs to talk less prior to the show. For example, announcing the presenters of the awards. Completely and utterly unnecessary. Builds expectations that they don't need.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
They need to back off the announcement stuff and focus on the awards -- which honestly felt like an afterthought.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Dmc was previously announced so that doesn't count . It's full trailer was fuckin epic, but can't say the same about the travesty they showed at the game awards . Stripped the soul out of the trailer .

CTR was a welcome announcement . Kudos to VGA for that .

Smash x P5 was epic sauce but even that was an announcement for a previously revealed game .

Barring these 3 games , everything else was mediocre , plain average or piss poor . No thrill at all . No RE2 , no metroid or bayonetta 3 .

All in all , VGA 2018 could have been miles better with just a few additions here n there .

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Not really, no.
But, honestly, I'd rather they put the focus on the awards and celebrating videogames. The RDR 2 live performance was fucking incredible, so much passion.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I really liked
-The Pathless
-DA4 confirmation
-Outer Lands
-Rage 2

But it was nothing compared to some E3 shows, which is fine I guess, the TGA has a different purpose.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
My only real complaint is Crystal Dynamics should've joined Rocksteady and WB Montreal and said they weren't gonna be at the show. That would've set the expectations for me going into the night at just the right level.

Other than that, I think the show was fine. Like, as someone who doesn't care about most announcements on any show, it works a little different for me.

MK 11 was a huge deal. Ultimate Alliance 3 was a huge deal. Obsidian's new game is a big deal. Joker in Smash is an enormous deal. Dragon Age 4 made me happy personally. Then they had a ton of other things they talked about as well. What else were they supposed to have? Most of the games you'd expect had reps say they weren't going to be present. Death Stranding's gotten a billion trailers. The only thing I can see being disappointed about is no Bayonetta or MP4, but it's already known there's a direct coming next month, just be patient.

It's had better years for announcements but I think it's important and good and correct (and frankly matters more) for the actual *awards* portion of the evening to get better and better.

It's good for the industry to have a night for self-celebration and recognition, IMO.

Reminder. There are multiple awards shows. They don't get the recognition of TGA. Even the polls showed people watch for the announcements, y'know?

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the phrase world's will change had anything to do with the amount/type of reveals they were going to have... Geoff said in the beginning of the show they chose that tag line due to games being constantly updated post launch and his they change over time

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Show staff will undoubtedly hype up the program. Fans don't just hype for the sake of hype, they are led to believe something magical will happen, due to fallacy presented to them. "Worlds Will Change", like come on, that is intentionally promoted to infer something huge is going to take place, but of course it didn't.

Geoff will say something like "this is the biggest Game Awards show we've ever had with the largest selection world premiere shown for the 1st time", and while technically it is true, you can tell he is selling a mirage. He hypes the event up as if we're going to get a new Bioshock, Halo and Uncharted gameplay announcement all in one show, but in reality it's a bunch of games that don't make much of a dent in the game community.

I get WHY he does it, but and for the short term it helps the event from a ratings perspective, but I think in the long term, it just becomes a joke and less and less people won't believe his words at all. This is why he needs to make it about the awards itself and stop 'hyping' up the shit that doesn't have to do with awards.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. "Worlds will change" implies something meaningful. Having every other reveal be an early access indie game is not meaningful. The only real significant reveal I can think of was Obsidian's game. Everything else was garbage, or stuff we already knew about.

Looking back on it, "Worlds will change" is a laughable tagline to put out there considering what they actually showed.

"Worlds will change...like in PUBG for example they got snow!"

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty good. No surprises that blew me away with hype, but several things that piqued my interest and a few games that weren't new announcements, but they showed more information that I was excited to see.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
The reveals were ok, but no Metroid of any sorts was a huge blow for me...i'm still bitter...

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Personally, I'm happy with the announcements.

I thought the show was really well done, too, for the most part. But I think the fundamental issue it has is that there's a big divide in the gaming community and both groups want something different out of the show. One group wants a second E3 and the other wants to focus on the creative / awards part of the event. It's obvious that Geoff wants this to be something more than a gaming expo, so I think that catering to that first group is going to hurt the show in the long run.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds
Joker in Smash
Crash Team Racing
Sayonara Wild Hearts (did I get the name right?) game looks neat
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Overall I thought it was decent for an awards show. I don't go into these things expecting a huge amount of reveals from different AAA devs. I like that they spent alot of time on Indies as well to give them more exposure. Though I could really do with the show being shorter, cause it was waaaaay to long.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
To me? No.
Though mostly because i was expecting a bit more from Nintendo, dont care about most of the announcements tbh

DMC V trailer was swell

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I was generally satisfied (mainly with all the cool Switch games that are coming out next year). I did get suckered in by the Metroid rumors though, so while I was disappointed by the lack of Metroid, I only have myself to blame for that one.